IPL on Face - Saint Louis, MO

I have had my first procedure done. Yes, it did...

I have had my first procedure done. Yes, it did hurt; but not so bad that I won't go back for the follow up procedures.

I have spots from sun damage (stupid in my youth), damage from rosecea, light scarring (chicken pox & pre-cancer removed) and changes to my skin just because of age. Overall damage covered my entire face. I am in my 50's and have only wore sunscreen daily for the last 12 years or so; plus started wearing a hat when I'm outside working.

The doctor explained everything of what to expect during the consultation and before the procedure. The only thing she didn't mention was the pain. It was more of shock reaction on the first on, after that I knew what to expect and had no problem. My face was hot and slightly swollen for a few short hours. They gave me an ice pack to use until I got home; only needed it for a few minutes after the numbing started wearing off. The total procedure took about 30 minutes (including the numbing process).

Some of the worse spots started during dark immediately. Others by the next morning. Others not so much. For me it took 5 days before they started flaking off and took a full 2 weeks to completely come off. I followed the doctor's instructions not to scrub or pick at them. She also told me to make note of how dark, how long and anything else associated with the treatment so they could adjust treatment accordingly.

So far I am impressed with the results. Dramatic? No, but I notice the difference. I was told I would probably need 3 treatments. I go in 2 weeks for my second one. I'll post pictures after the last treatment has healed.

After all the reviews I have read (not just here), it changed my mind about having the treatment done at a spa. I had my dermatologist give me a referral. Insurance does not cover the cost. The surprise to me - the cost was the same as the spa and it's the doctor not a technician doing the treatment. Made me feel a lot more secure in having the laser treatment done.

A note about cost. From how I understand, the cost can differ between patients depending upon the needs of the individual.

Just had my second treatment done 1 week ago. So far all is good. I have to return in a few weeks for what will hopefully be my last treatment; just to touch the more resistant spots here and there. I will post the before and after pictures bit after the 3rd treatment. To date, I am pleased with the results. I have been very lucky that I have had no issues with the laser treatment as so many have posted here.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us.  I will be anxious to hear how the final treatments work out for you.   I have heard that the pain and heat during the treatment are pretty intense.

I have a pretty high tolerance for pain. Once I know what to expect I can usually handle. While the doctor was doing the procedure there were 3 other doctors/fellows in the room with us. The doctor told them it was painful and don't be fooled by how stoic I was. Again, it was so terrible that I won't go back for the follow-up sessions. The numbing gel worked quite well and I used the ice pack for just a few minutes and then had the a/c vent blowing on my face on the way home and I was fine.
Eva Hurst

Dr. Hurst is wonderful. We have seen her other medical issues. She is personable and professional. She listens to your questions/concerns and answers them (not necessarily what you want to hear but what you need to hear).