Botox for Palmar Hyperhidrosis - Saint Louis, MO

I have had Botox done for my palmar HH last year...

I have had Botox done for my palmar HH last year during one of the International Hyperhidrosis Society's CME events and it was a great experience. On top of that, the whole treatment was free and I only had to pay for transportation expenses.

A trained physician that attended the event who had experience with Botox treated one hand and also supervised the treatment of the other hand done by another physician who was learning the process. Ice and pressure were applied during the injections and I didn't feel much discomfort at all except when they were injecting the fingertips, which is perfectly normal and still completely bearable. The doctors who registered for the event were great and, since I use to volunteer at the IHHS, I can personally say that the people from this nonprofit organization are the nicest people you will meet on earth.

They will be holding another event next month (Sept. 8) in Hoboken, NJ. Patient registration should be available soon and, if you are interested, you can inquire more about it on their contact page for more info. Remember, even when done properly, the effectiveness of Botox will vary from person-to-person. I have heard cases where it lasted 8 or more months and I have heard cases where it only lasted a few weeks. For me, it lasted about a month. Despite that, it was a great experience and I recommend anyone with HH attend the event if you have the chance. There really is nothing else like it in the world.

Thanks Megan! It was a nice experience to have "normal" hands for a month but, after the Botox wore off, I decided to give iontophoresis a try instead (which was also demonstrated at the event), since Botox can be costly to do frequently like you suggested and the IHHS only holds two events per year. If iontophoresis didn't work, I might have applied to Allergan's Botox Patient Assistance Program to continue the treatment but, iontophoresis turned out to be effective for me too and it is what I currently use to manage my HH.

With iontophoresis, there is only the upfront cost of the machine, which can be used indefinitely, and it allows me to have a treatment session whenever it fits my schedule in the convenience of my own home as well. I can't say that for Botox but, I like how Botox only required one treatment and lasted a month while iontophoresis requires several for the same effect. One month was the longest time in my life that I ever had dry hands and it was absolutely amazing. I always shake people's hand when I meet them, even before I started any treatment, but after having the Botox treatment, I went around shaking everybody's hand and their cousin's ^_^

In short, to answer your question, I am just a poor undergrad student now so I don't I would do Botox again if I had to pay out-of-pocket for it. My opinion still remains the same though and I think anyone who has HH should try Botox at least once and take advantage of the CME event and everything that the IHHS has to offer. Not only will you get a free Botox treatment but you will also meet a symposium full of people who also has HH and it is just such a great experience overall. If I am able to make it to the next event, I think I will be attending as a volunteer this time. I already had the chance to try Botox once already and I am currently managing fine with iontophoresis so, I think I will give someone else who could use a free Botox treatment a chance instead =)

I'm glad the Botox worked well for you. Do you think you will do it again, or is it somewhat cost prohibitive since it only lasted you a month?