Left With Horrible Scarring - Saint Louis, MO

Dr. Koo performed two surgical procedures on me...

Photos

If you can not see the photos of what Dr. Koo did to me, please send me an email and I will send those.
I posted photos in the past but I received a message from realself stating the photos were remove because they can not post "nude" photos.
I do not want what happened to me to happen to anyone else.
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Koo performed two surgical procedures on me and I do not recommend this doctor. In Nov 2011, I got implants and a breast lift on the left breast. I was left with massive scarring on the left breast and a left breast that was noticeably larger. I also got little scars outside the nipple along the breast where it felt like the implant was not set properly. The left breast was slightly larger prior to the surgery and I expressed my desire to have a smaller implant in the left breast; however, she used the same implant size (300cc) on both breasts. At the same time I got a breast lift on the left breast. I had massive scars around the entire nipple and experienced pain from Nov 2011 to 20 July 2012, the time of a second procedure. The nipple also got completely stretched out since Dr. Koo did not cup the nipple correctly. Dr. Koo was going to redo the surgery (and charge me for a new smaller breast implant + hospital, and anesthesia fees). I was going to go through with it but I cancelled because I did not want her to mess up on me twice. Since the damage was so extensive I sought out a reconstructive surgeon. She cut above and below the scarring and decreased the size of the nipple (since it has stretched by over an inch due to Dr. Koo not properly cupping the nipple correctly). While it cost me over 5,000 to see this new Dr, I now happy with the outcome and my self-confidence is back. I'm no longer sad to look in the mirror at my own body. I can not recommend Dr. Koo and I hope others do not use her and have the same experience. If only considering implants, which is technically pretty easy I don't think she can mess you up to bad-other than sizing. It appears she's gotten sizing wrong on a number of other people. If looking at getting a breast lift, I highly encourage using a reconstructive surgeon who does a lot of work on former breast cancer patients. She is a nice person but as far as surgical results, mine were a nightmare and I would hate for someone to go through what i have. I'm going to write a wonderful review for the doctor who fixed what Dr. Koo did to me. It appears her bad reviews have been increasing and a lot of them sound like my experience

I'm so sorry this happened to you but I'm glad you were able to find a reconstructive surgeon and I'm SO happy to hear that you are pleased with your results! If you get a chance, would you mind passing on the information of the surgeon you used to correct the first surgery? I also had a horrific experience (with a different surgeon) and have already consulted with many additional Board Certified Plastic Surgeons since and continue to seek out more opinions as I feel being educated is extremely important. For years I have felt how you previously felt, unable to look at my self in the mirror and the devastation that this has caused me is unbelievable. Any additional information you have or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Congrats on your revision and the positive outcome!
I'm so sorry about what happened to you as well. Dr. Marissa Tenenbaum did my reconstructive surgery. SHE IS AMAZING!! I noticed the difference in the recovery period. I encountered a lot of pain from Dr. Koo and when I contacted their office, they said it was normal. I now know, there was nothing normal about the recovery from the surgery performed by Dr. Koo. It was like she took a hatchet to my breasts. I did not experience that kind of pain after the reconstructive surgery from Dr. Tenenbaum. In addition, the recovery time was a week as compared to what I went through because of Dr Koo. Dr. Tenenbaum is with the West County Plastic Surgeons. I thought I had written a review but I'll go back to write a review on Dr. Tenenbaum. I only recommend using reconstructive surgeons. They perform surgeries on some of the most extremely difficult cases and work wonders. I highly recommend Dr. Tenenbaum
I can't thank you enough for taking the time to respond and I am going to take you up on your recommendation and contact Dr. Tenenbaum. I am very fragile and very desperate at this point. I am so thrilled that Dr. Tenenbaum was able to help you. I definitely need someone who deals with extremely difficult cases. It's incredible how having a bad experience with plastic surgery can completely shatter a person. I am broken, inside and out and I pray that Dr. T can help fix the outside!
I am so sorry this happened to you. *hug* I am so glad the revision worked out for you. It sucks that it didn't go right the first time but at least it's all good now.
I'm glad you were able to have a revision and that you are happy with your results.
Thank you so much for sharing your story. I had a consult with Dr Koo months ago but too many bad reviews.
Thank goodness you elected to go with someone else. When I did my research there had only been one bad review at the time of my search. When I ask about it she dismissed it and said out of the years and thousands of surgeries that there will be at least one person who is not satisfied. I posted because I did not want someone else to go through what I have. She offered to fix it and charge me a slightly less cost. Even though it cost me more, I went with another doctor. I searched out doctors who do reconstructive surgery and found Dr. Marissa Tenenbaum. She was amazing! I'll will post more pics this weekend to show the difference. After going through all this-I wish I had just left good alone. I have a lot less muscle strength and it took a lot on my body to have two consecutive surgeries. I'm happy that my post may have saved you from the nightmare I experienced from Dr. Koo.
I'm so happy your corrective surgery worked! I think we can all relate to the fear of something going wrong and I'm so sorry that happened to you. Hopefully now you can get on with your life looking and feeling like you've always wanted to!
I'm so happy for you that your revision went well. The first results are a disaster! Thank you for sharing.
VickyL,
Thank you very much. The areola got stretched by over an inch. It was not like that prior to Dr. Koo. Dr. Koo didn't "cup" the nipple correctly and I could feel the areole being stretched out that first month after surgery. I called and passed that to Dr. Koo but she kept saying it was normal. I had corrective surgery on 20 July and the results are completely different. I'm going to post photos of the correction. Even a week after the correctly surgery, I don't feel the stretching. I'm not seeing the scarring and the pain is less than half!! I was still experiencing pain up until the corrective surgery. I'm just grateful that I found a doctor who could fix what Dr. Koo did.
I had breast lift too but with no implants and at first my areolas were shaped like an ellipse but now they are stretchet to a circle...the only problem is that the right one is still very swollen and tHe areola is smaller...
wow it was like the entire left breast was a really big areola!!! I'm sorry u went through this :(

I'm so sorry you had a result you weren't happy with. :( Thank you for sharing on RealSelf.