please do your research before!!!! - Saint Augustine, FL

I am sooooo depressed. I was absolutely not...

I am sooooo depressed. I was absolutely not prepared for this. It feels as if I have lost my face and identity. Even though I don't think I am beautiful, I liked myself. I just looked old and tired all the time. The cover photo was a lucky snapshot taken 2006. This surgery left me with small uneven pig eyes of which my left eye is slanted upwards now, sagging lower eyelids, and skeral show...... I do know it is early, but I am getting married may 17th and I thought I'd be back to normal after a couple of weeks.

Almost a whole month since the surgery

Still slant-eyed on one side and one pretty droopy lower eyelid and one loose one. Some swelling still on left upper brow.
Dr. Ahn Vu

He seemed a wonderful, warm-hearted, knowledgable and highly experienced person. No charge for interview, I surely felt safe and taken care of.

How are you doing now?
I have been worried about you and thinking about you especially on May 17 ....have you anything you want to share ? You can message me privately if you wish.
I'm sure you have heard this...Be patient. I just had this done 3 months ago. I felt the same way, I was VERY unhappy and thought that my eye would never be right. It is and it will. You are going through the same thing as me. You will be fine and you will love the results. I hope this helps.
I have never shared such intimate feelings with "The World" but I felt this experience maybe helpful to others as well as aid in my healing process. I would like to thank all of you for taking the time to share your knowledge with me and for your encouraging words. It made me feel better and more hopeful. My vision has been a lot worse since the surgery. Even typing right now is a bit of a struggle. Time to make an appointment with an Opthamologist ... Besides Dr. Vu having been very compassionate and accommodating, I feel that he should have prepared me better and explained in detail what I should or could expect. All he said was that for the lower bleph he would have to reinforce the corners of my eyes. Never did he say that I would look totally different. Unless I asked questions, he hardly volunteered any information and downplayed the healing process. I thought this surgery was a very simple procedure. I will give it time. And in Dr. Vu's defense I may really like my eyes in a few months, when or if they "straighten out", who knows. So the important lesson to learn is to fully educate yourself before any cosmetic procedure or any medical treatment period.
Hang in there, a lot can change in the next couple months (I know we all keep saying that, but it is true).  Sending you hugs.
floridas, things can and will change a lot in the next month. I looked different every day for the first month. Dr. Steinsapir and Cassandra give good advice.
I think Dr Steinsapir is right. May I also suggest some accupuncture to help you relax and accelerate the healing process. I am sure you will be a beautiful bride....you have a month of healing ahead. Stressing won't help.
Floridas-My heart goes out to you. We have some absolute rules: No surgery within 4 months of your wedding date. No fillers within 2 months of the wedding and no Botox within 30 days of the wedding. It is a very stressful time. Healing issues (and they are always worse when you are stressed out) only add to your pressure. You would have done well with fillers and botox not surgery right before your wedding. My crystal ball says that the bruising and a lot of the swelling will be better by the wedding. Careful makeup and a happy face will also help. If things are not everything you want, talk with the photographers. Photoshop is an amazing thing. I don't think you need to tell your guest that you had a disappointing eyelid surgery. No matter what they are going to see you as a radiant bride. These things can be very emotionally traumatizing. If you have a psychotherapist, it is worth talking about your feeling. Now is not a good time to be depressed so please get help if you need it. You are going to need to let the eyes heal for many months and there may be some issues that will ultimately benefit from revisional work. Try not to focus on this. Having eyelid surgery right before your wedding was a mistake. But it is done. More forward and know that when the time is right you have options for improving any eyelid issues that persist once you have healed.
Be patient ... your incisions look to be in a good place. It's take time but I am sure you will look awesome on your wedding day. All the best.
Have you talked to our doctor? It is still early in the healing process and you have some swelling. Check out drmeronk's website. I think is is drmeronk.com it really helped me gain perspective. That said, this is an emotional roller coaster ride! Hang in there, things do get better. I am five months out and am just feeling better. Good luck to you!
Dr. Meronk is retired. The website is now operated by a surgeon who is not an eyelid specialist. Not all of the information on this site is consistent with the experience of other oculoplastic surgeons. Please carefully assess any information you might come across on the internet before acting on that information.
Dr. Steinsapir, thanks for the info and for all the info you give on this site.
Yes user 3598, Dr S seems like a winner. Professionally and personally.
Thanks Dr. S. Do you think the section about the healing process is inaccurate? That was the section of the website I found helpful in examining my expectations and what is realistic. Thank you for all of your great answers on this website. I wish you were on the East Coast!
You are correct NCnet when you reference the Meronk site for info related to blepharoplasty; and I have seen that you have recommended it frequently. Whether the Meronk site accurately reflects the doctor's opinions about a whole host of topics is worth examination as Dr S has pointed out. But one thing this site is very clear on is that a very cautious approach should be taken regarding the use of brow lifts for anything other than lifting a low brow. It says among other comments on the subject...... "A brow or forehead lift (coronal or endoscopic) is an upper face lift and not an eyelid operation. Some cosmetic surgeons embrace the operation with a passion (which should alert a patient to be on guard), while others recommend it only cautiously." In addition there is a youtube video, again from the current Meronk site, that seeks to point out that even a brow that to the lay person appears to be low does not necessarily warrant a brow lift esp if the patient's only complaint is upper lid laxity. grace
Dr. Meronk was a general ophthalmologist who made a very detailed website on eyelid surgery. Some of the "information" on the site reflects his biases. He did eyelid surgery. I do not think he was trained to perform forehead surgery. So his website tries to steer consumers away from this very important surgical option. If he did not offer that surgery, this would have been a self-serving recommendation, rather unbiased advice. Regarding his precise training, he completed a residency in ophthalmology at Johns Hopkins, one of the top ophthalmology residency. It is far less clear where he trained in oculoplastic surgery. The fact that he does not seem to disclose this important bit of information is a red flag as far as I am concerned. As near as I can tell, he was not admitted as a fellow to the American Society for Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. He did build a very impressive website which now seems to be an ad farm for other surgeons. My point to consumers is very simple: don't believe everything you read on that website or any website.
If a surgeon has trained in ophthalmology and gained a national reputation for excellent eyelift results among patients nationwide AND if a brow lift was a beneficial add-on to even 25% of blepharoplasties why wouldn't a talented surgeon such as Dr. Meronk bother to get "trained to perform forehead surgeries"? I mean if you're already in the operating room with a paying customer why wouldn't you want to "get trained" to double your surgical fee? Anyone who bothers to master the upper and lower eye can probably handle the training for an endoscopic brow lift. Maybe he didn't do forehead lifts because he didn't feel they were, most of the time, necessary for patients who presented with eyelid sagging or crowding. His bias may have been an intellectually and medically honest one against brow lifts and not a rejection of the procedure simply because he wasn't sufficiently trained; I sense that was your implication.