Velashape - Waste of Money and Unrealistic

I had traditional lipo in 2006. I had gained some...

I had traditional lipo in 2006. I had gained some fat back under the bra line and aross my low back. I was one of those starry eyed people excited about the promise of non-invasive and "affordable" cellulite/fat reduction. Of course, they just happen to have the buy one get one free promo (that ended the next day) so I was pressured to sign up ASAP. I read the reviews on this site AFTER I plunked down 2k cash and it was too late to back out.

The technician was very nice and she knew what she was doing. I had good heat and she spent a great deal of time with me... but it had ZERO results after 10 treatments. Forget about asking for a refund, it's not going to happen.

I shouldnt say I had ZERO results, there was a...

I shouldnt say I had ZERO results, there was a slight reduction but nothing worth what I paid for. I sent a letter to them expressing my disappointment. They emailed me right away and assigned me a ticket number. The local clinic manager called to speak with me, but when I called back I got voicemail, I am cautiously optimistic at this point. Ethically, they should refund the money - but I wont hold my breath.

Updating due to new comments and recent class...

Updating due to new comments and recent class action lawsuits against American Laser Centers. ALS was sued for false and misleading advertising. I dont recall the outcome, but I think I got a 20% coupon that has long since expired. Big deal! I would not go back there if you paid me!

Secondly, Velashape may work for cellulite and small regions of fat - not for what I was dealing with. I will call it "Post Lipo Fat Shifting" in that I gained a large layer of fat from previous lipo in an adjacent area in 2006. I was trying to avoid the costs and risks of surgery, more scars, but in the end that was what I ended up doing and I am happy now. My body looks normal again.

As far as those thinking I am a lazy fat slob looking for a quick fix that needs to hit the gym for 2 hours a day - perhaps several hours every day at the gym would have yielded the same result over time, but considering I work outside of the home 10+ hours a day, it was not practical for me.

Instead I chose liposuction surgery and can now maintain the shape by biking and kayaking or whatever else I am in the mood for.

If you are considering Velashape, please be sure it's done by a qualified technician and for the right reasons. If you need to lose fat, this will not work for you.
American Laser Center

They were very friendly and accomodating and talk a good talk, but Velashape treatments just dont work. Save your money - if you really want fat reduction get lipo or vaser lipo. It costs more, but at least it works and is permanent. Just dont gain the weight back...

Has anyone had Velashape and Velashape II treatments? Does anyone think the Velashape II gives any better results? I had the regular Velashape treatments and was very pleased. My nurse did discuss realistic expectations before my treatments and I think that helped.
I actually tried velashape federal way and I was very satisfied! I wonder if it's just the doctor who didn't do a very good job.
I will not recommend this procedure even to my worst enemy. It is just a waste of time and money.
AB- I purchased a package with groupons for $150 before reading your review. I would like to know if it helped with the elasticity of your skin. Was your skin firmer? I really don't have a lot if fat in my belly, it's actually pretty flat, but my skin is sagging. Im interested in helping the cellulite and firming. What do you think? Oh and by the way, thank you for writing the review.
After reading all the comments, I've decided not to get velashape. Thank you, AB! For showing the pictures. U really took ur effort to help others on their decision.
*24 fitness~ I have to admit that I am obsessed to body perfection. Going to gym does helped me to stay in shape. I used to spend 2 to 4 hours @ the gym & I looked great. But based on my busy schedule & financial downtime, I quit gym. Honestly, no matter how many crunches I do (up to 1000 times each day), I still have great tons of belly fat although I was only size 1. Pls do not address pp as "fat" & "lazy". U have a so called great life. Honestly, my life is not bad either, busy schedule w/ 3 kids, still get carded at casinos although I'm almost 40, constantly going on vacation, dine in fancy restaurant, going to church & etc.. However, I still seek for alternative to look good like liposuction. I was thinking to get velashape but thanks to AB, I will not consider it now. Did liposuction when I was mid 20's although I was size 1, hit the gym, sauna room, swim & tennis but it didn't help. Yes, I was LAZY to wait for the best result. Do you know I was constantly asked by pp if I was pregnant eventhough I was not? I was attractive young teen....having pp asking if I was pregnant is a big humiliation. I was not lazy and fat. Well, you can call me fat & lazy now because I do not hit the gym like you, a job like you, time that you have & good like that u have. I'm a size 3 fat & lazy mother of three.
Thank AB for your input.
Thank you for your comments. I think we each have our individual definition for ourselves as far as what we would call "fat". Some people tell me that I am not fat, but its all relative. I think I am, especially when I weighed 130 well into my thirties and took that number for granted. 5lbs a year does not seem like much so I ignored it, but over 7 years thats 35lbs! I never thought I would be fat like this, I think its karma because I too used to think people were fat by choice, they were simply lazy and shoved food in their face. Now that I am one of those people, who are not lazy and eat healthier than many thin people I know, I understand that active and healthy people can still have problems with weight gain and fat . Natural aging, changing hormones and slowing metabolism are all working against you.

I am sure at size 3 people tell you that you are not fat and it drives you crazy. If you had 3 boys, it's possible your abdominal muscles and supporting ligaments were stretched along with loose skin, and what you see is a protruding abdomen and skin, not necessarily pure fat. If you can afford a consult with a plastic surgeon, maybe they can give you advice as far as lipo vs tummy tuck.
I would not choose tummy tuck. Can't deal w/ the scar. U r right. Not fat but loose skin, sigh;(
I understand, the scar is indeed a trade off. It's worth it for many and it fades in a year. It's under the panty line. If you look at my front pix for
Vaser lipo, you can see what my scar looks like. It's about like a csection scar. The look doesn't bother me, but the scar itself is numb, which is annoying. I've gotten used to it. I would do it all over again and would recommend it as the best thing a person could do for themselves if they have a poofy belly from pregnancy.
I had smart lipo and the scar is still here after a year although is minimal. I saw someone w/ tummytuck. The scar is worst than c-section.
I had a TT nearly two years ago and if you choose the right surgeon you won't even notice the scar, mine has faded that the only reason I see it is because I know exactly where it is, it is very much worth every penny. Just carefully choose your surgeon and by all means go for a consult with more than one if need be, don't rule it out
I had my TT/MR nearly 2 years ago, I had 3 C-sections and a complete hysterectomy had my TT and all of those scars are gone. The scar from my TT has disappeared, don't rule it out, go talk to a board certified plastic surgeon if you get a great surgeon your scar won't be seen, the only reason I can see mine is because I know exactly where it is. The surgeon makes all the difference and following their direction is key! It is the best thing I ever did for myself and I absolutely no regrets!!Go for a consult more than one so you find the right surgeon for you!!!
A. B. Normal, thank you for the post! And for the ignorant people, I weigh 110 and I'm 5'3" I work out everyday (currently on my second month of INSANITY) I have always been active growing up and my body has seen plenty of gyms... But as much as I work out, I still have my lower pouch that I absolutely despise and cannot get rid of it. I have a nice four pack and then my bulge. I was looking into the velashape to get rid of it but I'm not sure I want to spend my money on it anymore. My gymnastics coach always tells me you can work out and eat right but you can't lose fat in one area of your body. You lose fat all around. So hours of crunches and cardio is getting rid of fat all around. Not only my pouch :/
Just do smart lipo. Third generation will get that pouch off and tighten the skin. It's more expensive but at least it works. Look at my other review for vaser liposuction. Thanks for posting!
I decided to try Velashape because I'm a dancer/acrobat, and stage lighting is not always flattering. I started to feel like my cellulite was distracting from the art being portrayed, and it shook my confidence in body image. I can't always hide my flaws with costumes. Velashape promises results with no downtime so I gave it a try. I've done 6 of 7 treatments of Velashape on the back and outer thighs, and I feel less self conscious even though the result is not perfect. Cellulite reduced about 50% on back of the thighs and about 70% on the outer part after 6 treatments. My thighs also slimmed down two inches within 4 treatments. The texture of my skin improved significantly and others have commented on it. I may do up to 3 additional treatments after my package end. After that I'll opt for quarterly maintenance treatments until I can set aside the time to do something more drastic but permanently rids cellulite, like lipo since I have a long track record of maintaining my ideal weight. However, I'd love to avoid that draconian option.

To sum up after reading most of the reviews on various sites, Velashape works on a spectrum. One must understand and accept that before giving this treatment a try. It's not cheap. I don't regret trying Velashape, and I'm happy that my result is not on the very low end of the spectrum. Hope my review is helpful to others.
Thank you for your comment. I agree that velashape is more geared towards what you described such as cellulite problems because it heats and pinches the area breaking down the dimples of fat making it smoother. It is similar to endermologie which is another popular choice. It's too bad that American laser centers are still in business and still promoting velashape to lose bulges and fat. Happy to hear you had success.
A.B. Normal I'm so glad I came across this thread! I was considering velashape. I have one child, but I had a c section. My abdomen was numb after that for YEARS! The c section cut was uneven so my belly had an abnormal slant to it. I exercise, but there is no exercise that will help an uneven c section cut. I had lipo, but that yielded an uneven result. I was considering velashape to smooth out some bumps that won't go quietly. Your review was really useful!
Glad this review helped spare you the waste of money. If you are able, just save your money for a scar revision. It may be a much better solution.
I think it depends on how much fat and cellulite you are dealing with. I heard of a new procedure called cellulaze but I think it's expensive. Smartlipo third generation also melts fat and can tighten skin. I would do that instead of waste money on velashape, which even if it DOES work is not permanent and requires maintenance treatment. If you are not adverse to surgery and your skin is loose from being stretched out , just save up and go for it. Check my vaser lipo review for my results.
AB normal ... Thank you very much for the information and the review. At least I can rest easy.

I came to this site to check out reviews for the Velashape because I saw a package deal from groupon and I am vain enough to actually consider it. Thank goodness I saw you review!!

I am actually trying to find solutions for the remaining stubborn fat/cellulite that I couldn't shake off. And 24 fitness.. before you start yakking I was 180lbs last year and worked mu butt off to be between 135 and 140 lbs these days. But as Julie said, no one can foresee nor control what happens after kids.. I was actually 100 lbs until I got pregnant with my 3rd boy (where I became pre-diabetic and obese -- and yes!! I am honest enough to say it out loud!) Even after losing 45 lbs, I can't seem to lose some of my bell and love handles, not to mention this deposit on my hips.. I thought the deal could be worth it, but after reading AB normal's review, I don;t know. I think I'd rather spend my 160 bucks on a tankini top from victoria's secret. At least that should comer my tummy! Hehehehe!!

This thread is definitely getting off topic. I have to agree with the community members who have pointed out that we are here to discuss Velashape specifically. Since it seems the conversation on diet/exercise are not moving in a positive direction I'm going to ask that everyone please refrain from posting any further comments not having to do with Velashape.

If you have any concerns about this you are welcome to send me a personal message and we can discuss this further, or you can contact our support center as well.

brilliant, AB normal.

lets see, there are those who are born without sensititivy and then those who are just plain narrcisicts. people who cant step outside of their own immediate expereience to consider another view or a limitation different from their own. these are the people who--when you say, im cold--they say--its not cold. they devalue your own personal reality becasue it doesnt match their exact and immediate reality. they arent cold so therefore you shouldnt be cold either. they cant possible imagine how someone could be cold when they arent. they cant possibly imagine why everyone cant cardio two hours a day? the blind, the handicaped, those with pulminary heart disease. i mean, c'mon you lazy quadroplegics, you need to cardio two hours a day. i do. so should you. i cant imagine any other exisitance than my own and you are lazy because you arent exactly like me. this would be comical if not for the fact that these people do have children and they devlaue their kids just as much as they do people who post on here. could you imagine this kind of parent, what they would say to their child who had a learning disability or was dyslexic or had a heatlh problem? they would make them out to be wron/lazy/unintelligent simply becasue they could not relate to anything outside of their immediate experience. let this one go ab normal, tryin to get them to see is like flavor flav intervieiwng einstein. Word.
The point i was trying to make is you need to try the old fashion way first, then if you can't loss the last stubborn fat that's when you should consult a plastic surgen. What's wrong with doing 2 hours cardio? I've know people does it I'm not the only one and soo much hate on my comment thats I called " haters"!
AGAIN, this thread is about the pros and cons VELASHAPE and whether it works or not for spot fat reduction - PERIOD. This is not about diet and excercise advice, there are plenty of websites for that. All of us are competent enough to know that going to the gym and working your butt off will reduce fat -

You went way off topic and your "point" was not about your experience with VELASHAPE, since you never did it, never considered it - so again, you have no experience with VELASHAPE, so your opinion on diet or exercising two hours has nothing to do with whether or not VELASHAPE works.

Maybe you can relate to it this way - how would you like it if you were asking about various breast enhancement tecniques because you wanted to know which one to choose, and I posted you should spend less time in the gym, and maybe you wouldnt need a breast enhancment? That wouldnt be very nice of me, would it?
im reading all comments and need to put this out there: we all have bodies that look a certain way when we're younger. if you havent had a child, you cannot relate to how much your body changes outside the scope of your control. i have always been 125/130 and 5'10 with a super high metabolisim. when i saw larger woman, i too held thoughts that they just didnt take care of themsleves. i thought if they just ate right and exercised they would look weight proportionate. then i became pregnant at 36. i gained 90 pounds in less than 8 months from diabetes. my baby was a month premature and weighed 10.5 pounds. i went from 130 pounds to 225 pounds. after my hormones settled, i still weighed 170 pounds. my stomach was destroyed from the pregnancy. as my body shrunk, the monstrosity of my stretched skin and tissue hung on my stomach like a walrus pouch. i felt shame, anguish, the beauty of my body, this thing ive always relied on to garner me some sort of attention and good feelings out in the world, felt to me anyway--broken. i got a tummy tuck. the scar ran over more than half the circumfrance of my body. it extends all the way back past my hips. a huge area of scar tissue developed on the front of the scar, under my belly button, this grapefruit size area of scartissue prevented my nerve endings [severed during the surgury] to fuse back together. it is four years later. i am in daily nerve pain, buring on the surface of my stomach. the doctor went in initially and cut out the scar tissue. and guess what? it came back, larger and more painful. its like an ice burg and has created a dent on my stomach under my belly button. i spent 10k to fix my stomach and it has a dent in it. the pain in my stomach from the nerve / scar tissue issues means im not doing abdominal exercises. it hurts. after the surgury, i began gaining weight, my hair began falling out. i now had thyroid disease [common after pregnnany]. so skinny white girl looking like a model is now with a sagging metabolism, a big belly and extra settled fat along my back and hips, with the rest of me skinny. why am i making you suffer thru my story? because not a single one of us on here can know what our body is going to do after having a child, how badly it is going to stretch out, how much loss of control we are going to experience in trying to rein it back in to its former shape. not a single voice on here--and that goes for the guy and the chick--needs to be stating their small minded opinion about what one woman should be doing instead of cosmetic procedures. your body isnt her body and no woman [or man] for that matter should not conceptually grasp how the age old issue of women/fat/post pregnancy issues are relevant for a reason: our bodies change. and for many there is only so much you can do. i exercise 4x a week, i consume only 1200 calories a day, and still when i sit down i have fat that spreads up out of my jeans. its depressing. and no judgement ever should be given a women's body who has given birth.
Thanks so much for sharing this. I have always had a weight problem. I was anerexic in HS and still was a size 8. I work out 1-2 hours every day and stay well below 1200 calories and just cannot get rid of my kangeroo pouch and huge thighs from being pregnant. I do ab work every day and my muscles are so strong my 13 year old can stand on my stomach for a short time. (I was trying to convince my boys so do some core work and bragging how strong my abs were).I just want to get down to a size 12 and get rid of the pouch. I have been considering doing something to just make me feel better. Your honest feedback has made me decide, just wear a bathing suit that covers it. I hope you feel better.