The True Story How my Gastric Bypass Saved 10 Lives and Counting - Sacramento, CA

In May of 2009 after 46 years of loosing my battle...

In May of 2009 after 46 years of loosing my battle with obesity and almost my life, I changed my life in every way a life can be changed. I had Gastric Bypass surgery. Over the following year I dropped 113 pounds and have maintained that loss for years now!

I had lost the weight many times without the help of weight loss surgery but was NEVER able to keep it off, I was forever gaining and loosing but maintaining was never part of the equation. The reason I had weight loss surgery was to give my self an 85% chance to maintain the weight loss for the rest of my life and so far so good and thank GOD!

Over 300,000 people die each year from morbid obesity and it's many related illnesses. Less than 1% of morbidly obese people have insurance that covers the medical treatment of obesity. Because of those grim facts and my new lease on a healty life I chose to PAY IT FORWARD and founded the Weight loss Surgery Foundation of America. http://wlsfa.org The WLSFA is a 501 C 3 charity that funds grants for weight loss and reconstructive plastic surgery after massive weight loss. So far we have funded 10 grants and counting and our motto is "Saving lives one grant at a time".

RealSelf is a supporter of the WLSFA and we hope you to will join us!

So pleased for you, and you look so well and congratulations on maintaining weightloss and being healthier! My problem is keeping it off as well and what I wanted it for - have been tossing around in my head if I should have this op (BMI near 50) risks and al, and whether I would fail or something go awry, or I am miserable. At 55 yoa I think the risk of my dying early is higher. Thank you for posting - helpful. You look happy
You look FABulous! Congrats on your weight loss. :)

Hi Antonia, Welcome!

Thanks so much for sharing your journey with us! It's awesome to be able to read about your weight loss story and how that led to founding the WLSFA.

We're looking forward to meeting all the people the WLSFA is able to reach out to, at the meet and greet!

Dr. Laura L. Machado, MD

Dr. Laura L. Machado, MD did an excellent job with my surgery with no complication at the time of surgery nor since surgery.