Had Surgery July 2nd!

I've been self conscious about my nose since I was...

I've been self conscious about my nose since I was 11. I'm almost 19 and recently have gotten serious about actually having the surgery done. So far I've been to three different doctors. The last surgeon I met with (a rhinoplasty specialist) was my favorite. I'm going to go over everything with my mom this weekend and if things go as planned I should have a date set for surgery by next week :)

My biggest fear for surgery is that I won't like how it turns out :( or it looks worse than it did to begin with. There's so many horror story's of botched nose jobs and I'm a very particular person which makes me scared ill dislike the result. But overall I'm looking for improvement-- not perfection!

My family of course tells me I'm so pretty and don't need a nose job. I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts though! :) ill add before/after photos from my consultation of my nose morphed into the (possible) post-op look. Let me know if it looks too small for my face, shorter/longer, more/less sloped, etc etc!:)

Thanks for starting your story on RealSelf! So, I think you mean that your surgery date will be set by next week, but not that you're having surgery in a week, yes?

Here's what some doctors say about choosing the right surgeon for your nose. And here's a list of questions to ask at your consultations (if you go on more. Also don't be afraid to clarify anything your chosen dr. hasn't communicated with you about)

Please keep us updated! I think your original nose is pretty darn amazing, but the morphs look nice, too.

Also, my two cents, I don't think it should be as upturned as it is in the imaging. I think it might look too "cutesy" on you. If that makes any sense. Like not as sexy on you as your before nose. Also...if the surgeon you want has a date available for surgery in just one week that seems like a red flag? My surgeon in Folsom (also in Sacramento) didn't have an available surgery date for two months. He's been doing this for 30+ years and does about 150 rhinos a year about 4500 or more in his career. His practice is 95% noses. So he is a specialist in noses too. But he is charging me FAR less. 6550. I know that a lot of surgeon WAY over charge for this procedure. Just letting you know about that. I had 4 consults before I decided on Clutter. Also Dr. Mabourhk (he's in the same building as Clutter) is also amazing. He was going to charge me 6900. Not a bad price. Obviously money isn't a huge issue when it comes to our face. But I've been doing a lot of research and one doctor I went to was really good but was going to charge me over 9000. When I went to Clutter he was just as good or better and charged me way less. Just my two cents. ;)
You are so pretty! Can I ask who your doctor is? I'm having surgery with Dr. Clutter in Folsom in July.

typo***

Oops I guess I was too vague, I meant I'll schedule the date for surgery this week! The actual surgery isn't until June :)
I know you want what you want, I also hate being "that" person, but there is nothing wrong with your nose! It is pretty much perfect! I really think it suits you perfectly and I especially love your nasal tip. I know, I know... it's a drag when someone like me says it because of course you know what you don't like about it but seriously, people would just die for your natural nose! But good luck, not trying to be a downer :)
PS~ I am in nor cal and would love to know who you've consulted with and who your surgeon will be!
hey you should keep your tip round instead of pointy and small. The before nose actually matches the rest of your facial features better if that makes sense, so perhaps get a more refined version of your "now" nose?

Just made a consultation with Dr. Clutter

I thought I had my mind completely made up to do my surgery with Dr. Richard Clark, but after hearing a few great things about Dr. Clutter on here I decided to make a consultation with him! It's going to be my fourth consultation but when it comes to something smack dab in the middle of my face it can't hurt to shop around some more for a phenomenal plastic surgeon. What really attracted me to him is that he mainly operates on noses (like Dr. Clark). One major concern I have with Dr. Clutter is that he doesn't do digital imaging of possible before/after outcomes. I feel like without the image morphing theres a high chance the surgeon and I could be on completely different pages about what the end result will look like :/
Thanks for sharing your story. I love your after photos. I think you are very pretty and if the results are going to be like the after photos, then you'll even look prettier. Just go with what you like. I hope all goes well with you and please update us.
I think that you would be a good candidate for a rhinoplasty, as long as you get a doctor with a lot of experience and can do a finesse-type job. Ask lots of questions, and do not settle for vague answers!!!!!!!!! Get explanations of everything!!!!!!!! Rhinoplasty is a surgery of millimeters; a millimeter here and there makes a HUGE difference. Don't let a doctor down-play the significance of a little something here and there. Do all of this, and you should be good to go.
I totally know what you mean about the imaging. FYI what I'm going to do at my pre-op is show him my own morphing from an app on my phone. And maybe even ask him to show me what he thinks would look good. lol I know it's weird but I just want to make sure we are on the same page. haha. If you have an app or something I recommend you do the same thing at the consult. He said he doesn't use imaging because it can give a false ideal of what the nose will actually end up looking like. Which I agree. But I am SO visual. Even so....for some reason I felt I could totally trust him even though he didn't do imaging on me. The thing I noticed is that he just showed me in a mirror what he would do and it was exactly what all the other guys said with the imaging. Anyway let us know how the consult goes. ;)

Just throwing it out there

I don't want a totally different nose! I still want to look like me but an improved version. No bump, refined tip, less droopy but not super upturned miss piggy like. These pictures show what Im talking about better than the ones I have up
Thanks so much!
I completely agree about how even a millimeter can make a huge difference in rhinoplasty. Thank you for the advice!
I actually do have an app on my phone that does "plastic surgery"! lol but I will definitely update on the consult :)

Pics

D

Hey, like everyone else, I think your nose is great! But if you think it needs improvement, then why not? :) I just had my surgery yesterday morning so I am in day 2 of recovery. My aim was looking for improvement, not perfection either - but I want it pretty darn close :) I think the doctor not doing digital photo imaging may not be a good sign, I'm obsessed with looking at the pictures that my doctor PS'ed for me and I look at it constantly. Especially now that I am in the recovery phase and I have this splint on, I am nervous about what it looks like underneath. Let us know how it goes!

Scheduled yet another consultation!

Ok sooo I scheduled a second consultation with the Surgeon I had my consultation with the other week. He's the one that did the morph before/after pictures I posted. Even though the original consultation was extremely thorough and he examined every aspect of my nose, I wasn't definite on what I specifically wanted my nose to look like post-op. Im planning on printing out pictures to show exactly what I'd like and to get his opinion on whether its "doable" or not. The second consultation with this doc is scheduled for a couple days after my consultation with Dr. Clutter. I'm debating on whether or not I should cancel my consultation with Dr. Clutter because its costing me another $125 and I have a gut feeling ill end up going with the surgeon I'm having a 2nd consult with. Ahh thoughts anyone? OH and I'm going to attach a couple of the pictures I plan on bringing in of noses I'd like mine to look like that I feel have similar features to mine. I should also say Im not looking to have the EXACT nose in the photos lol just a visual aid of what I like and think would suit my face :)
I think your morphed pictures look great, just as you are say you wanted, just a neater version of your own nose, best wishes on getting the result you wish for. It's a difficult decision to go for it, nevermind deciding on the right surgeon! It seems to me that you are in one of the best places to find a great rhinoplasty surgeon!! Good luck with yor search.
Had you met with other doctors before the one you have pretty much decided on? It can be beneficial going on other consults because, even if you have an instinct about a doctor, it is kind of nice to see if other professionals have the same game plan or general idea on what to do with your nose. If one doctor says they need to use grafts to get a shape you want and another says taking extra out is the way to go, you can explore the different options for your nose and see what sounds right to you. Also, if you meet with several surgeons and they all pretty much say the same thing, it is good to have that general consensus, just for some extra peace of mind :) You might even find some docs with great reputations that do free or cheaper consults that you could meet with just to have some more input. Good luck!
Hey is it Dr. Clark you are considering? I liked his before and afters. He seams great! If you really like him you should go for it!

Put down the deposit

for my surgery on July 2nd. Ahhh can't believe it. I'm happy, excited, and nervous all at the same time
Who is your doctor?
Dr. Clark!
Good luck! We will be going through this together. Mine is the same day.

12 days til surgery!

Okay so my last post was super short and I haven't had a chance to write a thorough update til now. My situation is kinda different because I attend college out of state and my summer class doesn't end for another week. That means I couldn't go back home for the usual 2 week preop appointment. So I did all my blood work at a LabCorp out here and had a 40 minute "preop" on the phone lol. My actual preop is scheduled for June 26 so I can go over all my questions, get my prescriptions and just have a meeting of the minds with my surgeon. :)
6 days 17 hours 45 seconds until the big day for us! haha ;)
Good luck dear. Remember you are already beautiful, removing the bump, will make it better. You already have as very nice facial features. I like your chin :) In the simulation, I like your profile view, looks just perfect,and it fits your face, the front view however, it appears the top is a notch to high. I hope you appreciate my honest opinion, I'm not a surgeon, but I have a very very strong knowledge and ideas what makes a face attractive and what did someone and what doesn't. My Only advice is, tell the doctor exactly what you want your new nose not to look like. And if you want a straight nose or a little tiny curve to it with just a notch of tip to elevation. You want it to match your other facial features and look natural. And I hope that doctor will deduct the consultation fee from the final cost. Good luck Sunshine!!!
Thank you! When you say the top looks a little too high, are you referring to the tip? Like it looks too short for my face? I definitely appreciate your honest opinion!!! I'm super critical, so its nice to hear feedback other than the usual "you look fine as it is". Thanks for the advice though, I've already printed out pictures of what I DO want my nose to look like, but showing him what I DONT want is a really good idea! I agree, the biggest thing for me is that I want it to match my other features as well!

6 more days

Til surgery! Have my preop appointment tomorrow.
I know it's getting soo close! I have a countdown on my phone hahah
Hey did you have a consult with Dr. Clutter or did you cancel? Just wondering....
Oh and good luck with your pre-op!

Pre Op Appointment

Just got home from my pre op! Everything went well, except my resting heart rate was pretty high (in the 100s). I take Adderall, which is a stimulant, so it can definitely cause your heart to race. I'm super healthy and have never had any kind of health problems so that was a little weird. Dr. Clark asked me to stop taking it and I'm going to go back in a couple days to get my heart rate checked again. Anyways besides that, the appointment was almost 2 hours long! He definitely tries to spend enough time with each patient without being rushed. I got to ask all my questions and we went over the imaging again to finalize the goal. Dropped off my prescriptions at CVS on the way home so Ill probably pick them up later today. One of the prescriptions is for Xanax which ill take the night before surgery and again the following morning. Definitely happy about that because I'm already anxious enough as it is lol I can only imagine what a nervous wreck ill be the night before. Only 5 more days til surgery!
Hey girl! Good luck tomorrow! I will say a prayer for you! I can't believe our surgery is tomorrow!! WOO HOO!
Aww thank you! You're so sweet :) I can hardly believe it either! Soo weird! Good luck to you too!!
Good luck. Wishing you a successful surgery/

10 hours till surgery!!!

Ahhhhhh I can hardly believe it! I'm so excited! Well I'm going to try and get some beauty sleep before I have to be up at 8AM. Sweet dreams everyone :)
Good luck!!
Good luck!!! Soon you'll be post-op; so exciting! :)
Good luck! Its so close, this is so exciting. It will go wonderful I'm sure! Can't wait to hear about it :)

Had my surgery this morning!!!

Got there at 9 am and the procedure started at 10 am. Everything is pretty much a blur lol I don't even remember leaving to go home. But Dr Clark and the nurses were so sweet before and made sure I was comfortable. I've had no nausea or throwing up!! I'm so surprised that I have absolutely zero pain! I had my wisdom teeth taken out 8 weeks ago and thought the pain and discomfort would be similar to a rhinoplasty (or worse) but I feel no pain at all! When I got home I fell asleep on the reclining love seat in my living room so I could sleep with my head elevated. I was COMPLETELY knocked out lol my mom was changing my drip pad under my nose several times and continuously applying 2x2 iced gauze to my eyes without waking me up. Also not much bruising or swelling yet. I'll ad a couple pictures!

Oops accidentally hit submit too early

Here's a couple more pics
Yay! Glad you're in no pain and that all is going well so far. Looking forward to seeing your results!! :)
Aw thanks! :)) Can't wait to see yours as well!
I wish you a speedy recovery and great results.

1st Day Post Op!

I've been doing surprisingly well! I haven't had any pain or nausea yet. The bruising around my eyes is pretty minimal. I've been using 2x2 iced gauze compresses on my eyes and I think that really helped the swelling/bruising (I haven't used any arnica pills or gels etc). Anyways! Today I took my drip pad off and cleaned outside my nostrils and a tiny bit of the inside with a q-tip and hydrogen peroxide. I had a closed rhinoplasty so I don't have any visible sutures on the outside underneath my nose to clean! Then a few hours after that I had a post op appointment with Dr. Clark. I didn't have any packing or splints in my nose but he did a thorough cleaning on the inside with long q-tips and put ointment inside my nostrils too! Hoping my bruising and swelling stays down but I think the next couple days are supposed to be the worst.
You're SO lucky your swelling and bruising is do minimum! Mine is like the worst I've seen on here!
*so
She is not lucky, she had a brilliant surgeoun, always remember the bruising usually accures how the surgeoun performs aka how "rough" is during surgery. You can easily tell, this surgeoun was super gentle and a perfectionist. I'm sure u might get some more bruising by tomorrow, but it looks amazing. Congrats and hopefully ull have a fast recovery!!!

Day 2 Post Op

Not much to update on since yesterday. Haven't had any pain other than when I woke up this morning with a minor stinging feeling in my nostril, but a little tylonel took care of that. My bruising is about the same except some yellowing under my eyes. My eyes are so swollen though and puffy!!

Day 2 Pictures

Accidentally hit update too early again lol here's what I look like today
Wow...you look great!!!! That's awesome you are not in any pain either. I am still fairly bruised under and around my eyes but I got my internal splints removed so I do feel better. Still a little bit of pain but getting better each day.
Thanks! Hope your pains disappearing :)

Day 4

The bruising around my eyes is slowly starting to get better. Right now it looks like I have yellow circles around my eyes. Yesterday when I woke up I looked in the mirror and my cheeks are SO swollen. My face looks like a fat chipmunk lol but seriously it's just as bad if not worse than when I had my wisdom teeth removed. Didn't expect that to happen! Sleeping hasn't been too bad... I thought sleeping on my back with my head elevated would be worse than it actually is. The worst part is when I get an itch on my nose under my cast !!! It's torture not being able to scratch it! I can kinda breath threw my nose now but it's still pretty stuffy so I just stick to breathing out of my mouth. I feel kinda blah and gross. Im dying to take a shower and wash my face and hair!!!! But besides those little annoyances, from what I can see of my nose it's looking good! I can't wait to see how I look in a few weeks when the swelling goes away and I look more normal :)
Wow - you have so little bruising! did youdo anything special or just luck out? congrats on the new nose : ) and thanks for sharing your story.
I was just thinking about you and how you were doing. I hear you about the chipmunk look and the itching under the cast but soon this will all be over with...we just need to hang in for a few more days. When do you get your cast off? Mine is Tuesday at 11:20 and I can't wait to see the results!
ps...can't you take a shower and just not get your face wet. I took one last night and it felt so good!

Day 7

Getting the cast off in an hour!! Soo excited! I'll post pictures later :)

Cast is off!!!

On my way home from getting the cast off. It hurt like a mofo lol but here it is!!!!! :) Im so happy with how it's looking and it's only going to look better as time goes on!
Btw...what is closed rhinoplasty?
Congratulations girl! What an amazing job- so natural and suits your face...I'm getting mine done in 15 days arghhhhhh
Very nice looking profile. Congrats.

Some pics from before surgery

I thought I'd post some pictures from before surgery because its hard to see a difference in the pictures my plastic surgeon took. I still can't really smile but from what I've read online it'll take a couple weeks to return!
Your new nose is beautiful. Congratulations!
Wow! U look amazing! Congratulations!!! Love how natural it looks:) Hope your recovery continues to go smoothly!
Yes Angie- that does help..thank you :-) I guess I'm getting the open approach

Nose taped

Went in for another post op appointment and the Dr taped my nose. My bruising still isn't completely gone but here's some pics!
Looks so good!
Thanks girl!! :))
Thanks!

Nostrils

I've been so focused on how my nose looks from the side I kinda forgot how it looked from underneath. I never disliked the way my nose looked from an underneath point of view, so I was pleasantly surprised when I noticed it looks WAY better than it used to! I didn't realize how crooked it actually was before surgery.

16 days post op

Looks perfect now!!
Your nose is literally PERFECTION. Looks amazing!!
Gorgeous!!

Before and after

Made some side by side pictures to show the difference :)
Thank you everyone for all the sweet comments!! :))
What a beautiful job they did!! Your nose looks amazing!
Amazing and natural! Even better than the morph. Thanks.

A little worried

I just noticed my tip is more bulbous/swollen looking than it was when I was 12 days post op. I'm on day 20 so I thought it was a little weird that my tip is getting LESS refined... I thought it was supposed to be the opposite. I've tried researching it but can't find anything on the swelling peaking around this time. I'm really hoping its just swelling and not my nose going back to its old shape
Don't worry. It looks like swelling and hopefully will subside slowly.
He did a great job! You look amazing
:)) thank you!!

1 month and 30 days post op

Wow time flies! Here are some before/after pictures :)

More before & after pictures

Ok so I was hesitant to add these pics because the 'before's are sooo bad lol but I think these will be useful since they show how such a small change can make a huge difference in your face
Soooo beautiful!!
Beautiful, congrats.....love the shape,and fits u perfectly. Now your nose looks perfect from any angle...and matches the rest of your facial features :)
Great result! Very subtle and natural looking.

Hii

Hey everyone! So a quick update; just wanted to say I am SO happy I got this surgery. Before surgery my nose was all I saw when I looked in the mirror and I hated taking pictures because of it! Now my nose doesn't distract from my eyes and smile. :) There is a slight bump on my bridge that my surgeon said may go away and if it doesn't in 6 months it'll be very simple to file down. Other than that I'm thrilled.

My advice to anyone considering rhinoplasty is to go in with an open mind and ask yourself if you'll still be happy if your nose is a little too upturned, not as small as you'd like etc etc. anyways thanks for all the comments everyone! :)
You look so good!!! I love your result so far!
Could u please show us a picture of your full profile aka from the side? I noticed non of your pics show ur full profile. Thanks for sharing!
You look great!!!

2 months and 22 days post op!

Just a quick update with some comparison photos :)
Your doctor did a great job. Very natural and refined. Thanks for sharing but would love to see some after surgery picts with the swelling.
Looking amazing!! Random question... what lipstick or gloss or whatever do you have on in your after pic in the second pic? It's pretty. ;)
Very beautiful and natural results. Enjoy!

5 months 7 days post op!

Hey everyone. Wow I can't believe more than 5 months have already gone by! Here are some photo collages I made to show how my nose has progressed so far. :)

The first 3 photo collages are of my left profile; starting the morning of surgery and ends with a pic of me this morning! The 4th collage is of my 3/4 view. I don't have as many pictures of that angle as I do profile pictures so that's why there's only 1 lol. And the last picture is a side by side comparison of me smiling pre and post surgery! Feel free to ask questions if you have any :D
woooooooow amazing nose
Your results are beautiful, congrats!
Looove your results! Very very pretty! And helpful! I'm 2 weeks post op I'm more than happy with the side profile. I had a piggish look at first but it went down, my nose looks a little asymmetrical is this normal after surgery?

11 months 5 days post op

Wow I can't believe it's almost been a year! I've gotten a couple messages asking for a front view shot so here's a comparison of the swelling 2 weeks post op vs 11 months
Great to see your update. You look gorgeous! Ihad a revision 11 weeks ago and can't wait til I am 11 months post! Thanks for the update. Take care.

1 year 1 month & 3 days post op

OMG I cannot believe I've already hit the one year mark! To my knowledge, swelling is supposed to be 99% gone after a year. It's really weird looking back at pictures from a few weeks after surgery and even a couple months after because I think my nose looked so swollen and turned up but I remember thinking it looked amazing lol. I think it was around the 8-9 month mark that I really started seeing definition in the tip of my nose.

Also, I have gotten a couple messages asking if I would recommend Dr. Clark. I don't want to put myself in the position to recommend someone on something so personal and then have someone end up being disappointed with the results, so I will just say that personally, I am very happy I went with Dr. Clark!!! I hope that makes sense lol :)

Any questions or comments please leave below! :)
Wow you look amazing! It is nice to hear that you did not start seeing definition in the tip until the 8-9 month mark. I had a revision almost exactly 7 months ago and although I have definitely noticed good changes in the last month I still hope to see more definition in the tip and overall I hope is gets thinner, right now I feel like it is on the wide/bigger side. Do you have any pictures of you at 7 months compared to 1 year you can share? Anyway, again you look so great, your really gorgeous! Congrats!
Thank you!! :) I'll post one right now. I'm sure the healing process is a bit longer for a revision so that's awesome that you're already seeing some positive changes! Thanks again!!
Your nose looks great!!! You're stunning!

Requested :)
I must say your doc is an artist!! Love your nose.
wow ... gorgeous result
Hi. I too had a revision 5 months ago and it's good to hear it takes at least 7 months to see refinement in the tip. I feel my tip is still so swollen and bulbous but very hopeful it will get smaller.
Dr. Ricard P. Clark