58 Years Old, Facelift, Necklift and Upper and Lower Eyelid Surgery - Sacramento, CA

My surgery is 1 week from today and I am really...

My surgery is 1 week from today and I am really scared about how much pain I will be in and how I will end up looking. I'm also afraid of how bad the scars will look. I have a high hairline so I know the scars will be easily visible. I don't want to look different, you know like someone else, just rejuvenated. I just had cataract surgery and no longer need to where glasses. I'm hoping people will just think I look different because they haven't seen me without glasses for 15 years.

Photos 6 days before surgery

Post of pics and update.

Thank you so much everyone for your concerns! Until today I just wasn't up to getting on the internet and posting pics, etc. I do have so much to share, though First, my husband was absolutely fabulous and has been taking such wonderful care of me. Also, my surgeon and the nurses at uc davis med center were the best, too. So far the worst part was the first day when my eyes had swollen so badly that I could feel the stitches scratching my eyes every time I blinked or moved them..extremely painful. By the next morning it was much better. The second worst thing was the horrible side effects I had from the norco, itching, pounding headache and feeling like I was going to come out of my skin. When I went back to see my surgeon on thursday to remove the drain he prescribed me valium and tylenol with codeine and also said I could start taking ibroprofen. I started feeling better immediately. I was finally able to sleep, too. I go back next thursday to have my eye stitches and the stitches along my face removed. I week later he will remove the stitches behind my ears. As you can see by the pictures I was pretty bruised to begin with but that is quickly going away. I have been taking arnica montana so I don't know if its from that. My face is still pretty swollen and last night I did have a fever of almost 101. The ps on call said to take ibroprofen since it was probably due to having my drain removed and the swelling/inflammation caused a fever. It seemed to work because by morning my temp was back to normal. I can't thank everyone on here enough for your support and kind words. You gave me the courage to follow through and knowing that I would improve quickly. Thanks again everyone!!!

3 weeks post surgery

Its hard to believe its already been 3 weeks! I am feeling almost like my old self again. I still have some numbness although most of the tightness is gone. I also still have some faint bruising about an 1/2 inch under my eyes in the shape of a crescent. Other than that I feel pretty good. I'm still not real happy about my upper eyelids so I'm pretty sure I will go with the enhancement to pull my outer brows up a bit more. My pc will discuss this more with me when I see him at 6 weeks, 3 weeks from now. All and all I'm pretty happy and have not regrets whatsoever in doing this. Here is a pic I just took of myself (with no makeup)
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Wong is so nice and he makes me feel very comfortable. I have heard he is an excellent plastic surgeon, too.

Thank you for your reply what about the nevklift how bad was the pain
I was just sore
I was just sore from some of the incisions. It was not painful, just feels tight.
Hi how painfull was it? I want to get my lower eyes done and lower face and neck lift
The most painful part for me were my eyeballs. Because my eyes were so swollen they couldnt shut all the way so they were so dry and irritated and felt like there was something in them. That was only the first day and I had drops and ointment to put in them, which helped. Other than that the pain was minimal. It was more uncomfortable than painful. It looks a lot worse than it feels.
You look wonderful, and after only 3 weeks. I became a little down on the 10th day, but by the END of that day, thanks to support from RealSelf, I was seeing all the good things and I haven't felt low since then! (I am day 15/16) It takes 6 months to a year for all the changes to occur. The team at Dr Huntly's explained that in the beginning, the healing is all below the surface so the exterior does not seem to reveal much except bruises and swelling. But, my oh my, you only have to look at postings of folks who had the surgery 6 months ago to KNOW you did the right thing!!
I agree! I am so happy I did it. Yes RealSelf gave me the courage to go through with it. Every day I look in the mirror I see a more youthful and refreshed me. Also, I thought, time goes by so quickly, the bad part will be over before I know it. And it was!
Looking good. I stil have some numbness too and it is almost 11 weeks. I knew to expect that though and it is different for each person I guess. Overall, I am pleased with my result. Hope you are too.
Thank you! I expected the numbness, because I had surgeries before, which left me with some numbness. So I'm not too worried about it. I know most or all will eventually go away. I am very pleased with the results, however, I may have a bit of enhancement done to my upper eyes. But, I will see late this month when I see my ps at my 6 week appointment. Happy to hear about your results. :)
You had a very good and natural outcome Betty, I think you look great! We are the same age and I have the same preop anxiety you had! Glad to see you are doing well. :)
Betty, you are looking good! I went for my 3 week appointment on Wednesday and had my staples removed. PS says everything is going fine. He also said that around this time (3 weeks) a lot of people become very discouraged with the way they look. I see that my face is getting slimmer, still have numbness and some tightness. When I go to put on eyeliner it is so hard because underneath my eyes..it is still numb. My PS ordered some Restasis eyedrops, this has helped my dry eyes and the irritation. No one has made a comment to me that I look any different.... that is a little disappointing. No one but four people know that I have had this procedure. I can only hope time will tell! Hope you continue to do great!
thanks...I stressed to Dr. Wong that I didn't want to look like a different person, just refreshed. I think he accomplished that. This site really helped me with the preop anxiety. thanks again. :)
Thank you Lee! Happy to hear you are healing well. I too still have numbness. I think I remember reading the nerves repair very slowly, about 1mm a day. So it will take time. My ps said my checks are numb because those nerves are behind the ears where they made the incisions for the neck lift. Hopefully, we will get all of our feeling back. I was discouraged too. I had lunch with my 16 year old grandson who did not know of the surgery and he only noticed the bruising under my eyes. I told him it happened when I had the stomach flu. When I had lunch with my daughter who does know she didn't say a word. Also, my husband didn't say anything either! I was beginning to think I looked the same except for the residual bruising and scars. So that when I took the selfie and compared it to what I looked like pre-surgery. Also, the reason why they don't take pics until 6 weeks is because we will look differently by then too. Hopefully, this will help you feel a little less discouraged. I am sure you will look great!
You look great...so refreshed!
thank you Mary! I am beginning to feel younger, too!
Did Dr Wong suggest a lateral brow and if so did he say what improvement that would create and what the surgery/recovery involve. tks, grace
He didn't call it that. He just said they could extend the temporal lift by bit and it would raise the outside of my eyebrow, which would eliminate the extra skin I still have above my eyes, especially the right eye. He said he would just do it in his office and it would be a simple procedure. When I see him at my 6 week appointment the end of the month he will discuss it further. That is if I am still unhappy with the results. Why do you ask?
Lovely! Your face looks heart shaped, which is what the docs all say is the "youthful" face shape :)
Thank you so much! I am loving it more and more everyday!
Betty, wondering how you are doing? My eyes are feeling so dry and irritated and I use drops all day long. My neck is still tight with some swelling and I still have some numbness. Wish the healing process was a little faster!
Hi Lee101, I am feeling the same way. In fact, I had cataract surgery 1 month prior to my surgery, so my eyes were a mess. I had to see my eye doc on Monday and he prescribed me oinment to put in my eyes. He told me to continue to use the natural tear drops, too. It has helped tremendously, although my eyes still are dry. He explained that there are times at night my eyes are not completley closed. They become dry and almost cracked, so they feel like they have something in them. I go back today for a recheck. Thank goodness my new lenses are fine. I don't want to have that surgery again. Yes my neck is still tight and my face is numb from my ears about half way to my mouth.. I saw my ps yesterday and he took out the stiches behind my ears. They werent ready to come out last week. I told him I just love my neck and face but was a little unhappy about my eyes. I said they still looked a little tired. I had my eyelids done and a temperal lift. He did not think I needed a brow lift at the time. He said to wait another 4 weeks and see what they look like and if I'm unhappy he would do an enhancement in his office and extend the temperal lift an inch or so and it give my eyes that extra lift. Im a little dissapointed, but I knew he was conservative, which I would rather have than too aggressive, with no going back. So overalll i'm very happy when I look in the mirror. I know it can be very frustratating with the numbness and tightness, etc. I guess because I had plastic surgery many years ago, (elsewhere), I knew this would happen and take time to resolve. So I totally understand where you are coming from. Fortunately, time goes by so fast and after a while you just kind of get use to it. So otherwise, how are you doing? Are you happy with the results so far?
Lee, why don't you call your ps and ask them to prescribe you an ointment to put in your eyes? If they won't can you see your eye doctor? As I posted a minute ago, my eye docs were happy to do so and my eyes feel so much better. You should not have to suffer. xoxo
Thanks Betty for letting me know how you are doing. Seems like you could be telling my story! I have been using some eye ointment from Bausch and Lomb, it has helped a little but not enough. I will call my ps Tuesday for an ointment. My ps did not remove my staples last week like I thought he was going to but will do that Wednesday. I am happy with my results, my neck does not have that sagging look, but it also is still swollen. I had a cyst on my left side removed so that side is more swollen than my right. I have not been around to many people yet but my sister says she can see a difference. My husband says he can't tell much difference until he gets my before and after pictures together. I think he is already used to my new look. I feel I don't look so old and haggard. I go back to work on the 10th so lets hope my eyes are better! The nurse told me that usually at the 2 month check up that most patients say their tightness is their neck is gone. Good to hear from you, keep in touch. My husband and I go on a cruise in October for our 30th wedding anniversary and I want to feel better by then!
Lee, I was given a tube of ointment to place on my eyes every night -- it made everything blurry for the 5 minutes before I fell asleep!! Then I used the over the counter eye drops during the day. (I am still doing that post op day 16. Hope yours gets better, SOON!!
Thanks MVPT, My PS ordered Restasis eye drops and I think that is going to take care of the problem. Ointment and other eye drops were not doing the job. Hope you won't need anything else.