$10,000 Post-Invisalign Work

Before deciding on Invisalign, be aware that it is...

Before deciding on Invisalign, be aware that it is strictly cosmetic. It will not correct alignment problems, and can create them. I have had three root canals and one implant that have cost over $10,000 as a result of the pressure put on my teeth from their no longer correctly aligning after the use of Invisalign. Invisalign itself has not decided on the proper follow-up for retaining the bite - whether to have patients wear the trays on alternating nights, both uppers and lowers, etc. When I stop wearing my trays, my bite comes back together, but then my teeth begin to crowd again, so basically if I want to have my teeth stop cracking, I have to write off the time and $6800 for Invisalign. Invisalign is not the second coming. It seems like a great alternative to traditional braces, but if I had it to do over again, I would definitely stick with the traditional method. If you are an Invisialign user and your molars no longer meet, as I have read about in other cases, be aware that you have created a condition where your teeth are highly susceptible to cracking. Also, if you still decide to go through with it, be sure to shop prices. It is all the same, and any dentist can do it.

Sacramento Orthodontist

Reluctant to take any responsibility for the problems I have had with my teeth since Invisalign. Used the excuse that my teeth were susceptible to cracking, an opinion with which my dentist disagreed. Told him if that was the case, why didn't he tell me that before I started in with Invisalign. He is also much more expensive than other dentists in the area at $6800.

I have talked about that with my dentist, but I still have to get through the last crown. I won't be going back to the orthodontist - as my interactions with him have been frustrating and unsatisfactory.

Yes, sometimes cutting your losses and seeking another care provider is a wise choice, although pretty disappointing when you have already paid for a treatment.

I wasn't aware there was not a general consensus on the amount of time a person should wear their retainers after Invisalign treatment. I was under the impression it was the same as standard braces, about 6 months of full-time wear, then nights only.

I'm going to post a question in the Q&A section to see what the dentists have to say - it will be great info for us both! You can click here to see the Q&A. More than likely we will have a few answers by late Monday or early Tuesday.

I'm so sorry to hear about the bad experience you have had with Invisalign. I can only imagine the frustrations you are feeling with your time and money put into the treatment.

There was a question posted in our Q&A section titled "Who Makes the Treatment Plan, the Dentist or the Invisalign Company?" because of your comment about any dentist being able to do Invisalign, i think you might find the dentists answers to be interesting information.

Also, has your orthodontist offered permanent fixed retainers as a possible solution to your retainer dilemma? I'm not sure if it would be a good solution for you or not, but I know many people have what is called a bonded retainer put on after treatment. It is basically a little wire that is glued to the back of your front teeth to hold the alignment. It might be worth asking if this is a possibility for you.

After reading the treatment plan Q & A, I also should note that I was an excellent patient, following my orthodontist's instructions to the letter, which is one of the problems. When I finished with my trays I was told to wear both upper and lower trays every night as retainers as that was the protocol at the time (2007). As I mentioned before, the protocol is now all over the board. Nightly use of both upper and lowers definitely makes my condition worse and alternating is not much better.
One other thing I want to reiterate is that when a dentist or orthodontist evaluates teeth for potential Invisalign use, they need to be very sure that those teeth are good candidates and be forthcoming about any potential problems.