Help... Should I or Shouldn't I? - Rockville, MD

Hi Everyone! I'm hoping I can get some advice...

Hi Everyone! I'm hoping I can get some advice from those who have had thier tummy tucks and are on the road to recovery. I'm scheduled for mine on 8/23/13. I've been scheduled before and had to postpone. I've already paid almost in full and am ready with all of my pre op's, etc. Here's the issue... yesterday I recieved a call that I got my "dream job". They have asked me to start on September 4th. It's an admin position full time. I'm a bit stressed over the timing. Considering that it's a new job, I'm not going to get any time off again for a year - on the other hand, am I going to be ok in 11 days in order to start working? It would only be part of the day Wednesday and then Thurs and Friday and then atleast the weekend again for really resting... or should I just hold off and hope I can get in sometime in the next year? Even then, I don't think I will have more than 2 weeks vacation accrued.... Any advice will be so greatly appreciated! Thanks
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

I would go for it.
Thanks so much for you all's opinion. It's really got me stressed! Dr. T's office will not refund (understandably) so if I don't do the surgery within the year, I'm going to lose over 5k that I've already paid. Unfortunately, there is no shut down of the office at Christmas, etc. I'm going to talk to new job tomorrow to see if I can start on Monday the 9th - or even Friday the 6th..ugh... But thanks again to everyone for your input :-)
If you're having a total TT with mr, 11 days to recover before starting a new job isn't enough time. You potentially might not even have both drains out. You'd probably be extremely exhausted, and who wants to start a dream job feeling like that?
11 days is NOT enough time to recover! A new job will be stressful, as you'll have lots of new stuff to learn and you'll be sore. Just getting in and out of your chair you'll be moving slowly. I would tell the new employer that you'd like to accept the job, but need more time before starting.
I would think that if they really wanted you, they might be willing to wait a week, or even the few days until the next Monday would help. And if they know you are just coming off of a surgery and it's a desk job they might understand when you are more tired than you usually might be. Is there any way to move the surgery up to maybe Tuesday? I can't see losing out on the dream job instead of waiting a year though. Maybe they shut down for a couple of weeks at Christmas?
I had my TT on a Friday, and then I went back to work on Monday 10 days later. I was fine, but I was so tired. It might be tough to start a position in that condition. I couldn't wait for the end of the day. I have been working at my job for years, so it wasn't a big deal that I was a bit slow moving. If you are starting a new position, there will be more eyes on you. I still had one drain at that time. Considering my experience, it would be possible, but what if you have complications? Would the new job allow you to start on the 9th instead?
Yeah, it is a tough one. If you could hold off on starting for a week or so, you would probably be okay. But you do get tired and are usually hunched over for a couple of weeks and the drains can be an issue. Everyone heals differently. By two weeks, I could have gone to work, but only in a desk job, without a lot of walking around. I agree with LucknBoo, dream jobs roll around infrequently, but the TT can be done whenever. Such timing in life, huh? Good luck on whatever you do!
Congrats on the job, however that is a hard question. In my opinion in 11 days you might not even have your drains out and you do get tired very easily for at least the first month, sometimes longer. Good luck with your decision, remember you can always have a TT but your dream job might only come around once.