Straight but Debilitated - Rochester, NY

The consequences of Invisalign have been...

The consequences of Invisalign have been horrifying. My teeth are almost perfectly straight and look beautiful, but the amount of debris left on the teeth is enormous, the surface blemishes are innumerable, and the forfeiture of natural tooth enamel has proven detrimental. My teeth were left incredibly weak and I am paying over a thousand dollars to fix damage resulting from their weakened state.

If you require buttons/bumps to be put on, they will hideously stain immediately. Even after their removal, you will have to whiten your teeth - which will expose the amount of bonding material that, even still, remains on the teeth. This material does not whiten. I have had 2 different doctors work to remove this stuff, and my bottom teeth are still covered. My top teeth are full of pot marks from all the grinding to remove everything. Some of my natural tooth was ground down to allow room for movement, leaving one tooth in particular rather gangly. I cannot get that part of the tooth back.

After the bottom trays were completed, the teeth were not completely straight. My top teeth still had 4 trays to go, so more trays were ordered for the bottom in the mean time. This considerably lengthening the overall procedure and in hindsight, I should not have sought to get my money's worth. After the top trays were completed, a wire was bonded to the back of my 6 front teeth. Each tooth is individually bonded, making flossing terribly awkward. Once the bottom teeth where finally finished, a wire was bonded from canine to canine, which makes flossing much more accessible but has also allowed the teeth to move. My bottom teeth are not straight. By the time they had moved, I was so over it. Simultaneously, no one can tell me how long these bonding wires will remain in my mouth.

Which brings me to the terrible condition my teeth are in now. My gum line has receded along my bottom teeth from wearing the tray for so long. In some places, the roots are exposed! I have immense sensitivity to temperatures and air and now have to brush with expensive toothpaste packing copious amounts of toxic fluoride. My dentist says I have the teeth of an 70 year old. Sure, they are straight, but they are defective. My poor, poor teeth.

At least you got a refund before it was too late. I wasted 4000.00. I am very upset that the Invisalign company does not stand behind their product. I don't think general dentists should be allowed to recommend them. My dentist clearly saw it as a good way to make some money.
i didn't get my 8000 back either... not to mention the 1+ year treatment that had me in pain :(
The person I went to was an elite provider. He knew I had talked to other orthos and when I questioned him about the outcome in an email he called me and said I shouldnt do invisalign. He seemed very embarrassed so whatever the other elite providers told him about taking my case made him feel uncomfortable enough not to do the invisalign and he told me it would be better if someone else did the braces. My recommendation is this: if tehy have a hard time doing your molds and you keep hearing you have teeth that need to be rotated that you dont do invisalign.
I am very glad i didnt do invisalign. I have not met one single person with invisalign. There has to be a reason for that. After i paid for the treatment the expert ortho told me my wisdom tooth would not be rotated and my teeth would not move with a fixed bridge in front. He basically couldnt figure out the outcome and gave me a refund before the trays were ordered. Several dentists had already told me that i needed braces and invisalign would just make the straight teeth straighter.
Invisaligns are not for everyone. After more than a year of treatment my teeth were not moving much, and I was having a lot of problems with receding gums and mouth sores. I finally switched from a dentist to an orthodontist who told me that my front teeth were too rotated to have ever moved with invisaligns. After less than 2 months with "train track" braces I can see movement already.
My teeth definitely got weaker after the "treatment". People can see the roots of my front teeth because they were pushed outwards during the "treatment". God, I want my money back.
Very scary. I really wish I'd done this research online before deciding to get Invisalign.
Gum loss too; wow!
Anything that is placed near the gum line for an extended period can cause this. Like I mentioned, mine is minimal (no tooth sensitivity) but for longer treatment, I imagine it could be more severe. This is not a problem unique to InvisAlign, though. My husband got the same kind of recession from his Damon braces.
I will certainly finish my treatment, since I'm on my third-to-last aligner. I find the aligners easy and convenient, since I can take them off to floss and brush. Also, I only eat 2 meals per day and don't snack, so that cuts down on the amt of work they are. Like DirtDiver, I have had some gum loss, but very little. My total time for this is less than a year, though, and the amt of straightening I needed was moderate, at most. I just hope my ortho is able to remove the adhesive, as she said it's no problem.
So are you going to finish the treatment knowing that you have this staining?
I have had some staining, too, and it has nothing to do with the trays. It is the adhesive for the anchors, just as DirtDiver said. My trays are always perfectly clear. My ortho said it's both normal and expected. The adhesive often ends up on more enamel than just under the anchors. I do not eat chocolate or drink tea or coffee, though I do eat berries and use balsamic vinegar on my daily salad. After 30 weeks, I had my teeth polished with pumice and it removed the staining very easily. It slowly started to stain again right away, of course, but I have not had my anchors removed yet so I don't know what damage, if any, I will get as a result. I'd never even thought of it being a potential problem before reading this review.
DirtDiver, were you drinking and/or eating with your trays on? That's the only way I could potentially see your attachments staining (by allowing fluid to sit inside your trays all day). When I look at your photos, the staining looks to cover much more surface area than the attachments normally cover. My attachments, for example, are very small and the bonding material used to adhere them to the teeth doesn't spread beyond the attachments, themselves.

It seems like your dentist/ortho had to have made some mistake(s) during your treatment.

Sorry to hear you've had such a rough time; good luck to you.
I have many of the same concerns as you, however I have been wearing the invisaligns for a year and my teeth have not even straightened! My biggest problem is right now is getting my dentist to listen to me and address my concerns. There seems to be no customer support.

Oh, I'm sorry, I guess I was just confused because the "during" picture you have posted looks like the trays are really dark, so I thought you may have been drinking things like coffee and tea while you had your trays in, but perhaps it was just the lighting or something.

Again, I'm sorry to hear what happened to your teeth. That is most unfortunate, and though it seems a very rare occurrence, that doesn't really help with your particular case. :-/

The trays did not stain. The buttons put directly on the teeth stained. I had one on every single tooth. Some teeth even had two buttons on them. I had them on for a year, but the staining started immediately. I definitely had more than water for a year. Coffee, tea, cranberries, tomatoes, blueberries, chile powder, turmeric, red onions, sesame oil, wine - any of the usual suspects from a vegetarian diet. The only other person I know with Invisalign had the same issue. But the staining is not of great importance compared to the health of the teeth.

My goodness, it sounds like you had a very unfortunate experience. Since you experienced so much staining to your trays I'm guessing you were consuming something other than water while they were in. Do you mind me asking what that was? I think it would be helpful for other community members to know what stained the trays so badly, as it seems a rare occurrence.