31 Years Old Ready to Work on Myself

So since I was about 18 my breast have been pretty...

So since I was about 18 my breast have been pretty large. At the moment I am able to fit into a 40DD bra however when going by online measurement tips I should be a 40G. I have been obsessing over this website for a couple of weeks. I have two consultations scheduled the first is on 6/25 and the second is 7/2. I have a high deductible plan w bcbs in NY. When I called BCBS today they said approval or denial takes about 3-5 business days. I have decided that even if I am not approved (a little worried they may tell me to lose weight) that I am just going to finance it with care credit. I've been to chiropractors and even bought an expensive mattress thinking that the mattress I had was causing the problem. It wasn't until a conversation I had with my sister that she pointed out why I was having these issues. I just thought back pain was a part of getting older. I went to the store today to pick out a couple of bras to see what size I may want to be. I'm thinking a full c. I have already lost 11 pounds and I am hoping to lose at least another 20 before surgery. My boss had the procedure done and said it was the best thing she ever did. I am so tired of my chest being in the way. Even when I go get massages it's I comfortable because I have to lay on my chest. Well I will update once I have returned from my first consultation.

Tired of carrying these things around

ok so this is a little awkard posting pics of myself. But its the pictures that others posted along their journey that helped me so I should pay it forward. I like to look around to see who I match close with and see their journey and their size.

Back from first consultation

So.. I have literally been waiting like a kid waiting for Christmas day. My 1st consultation! It was a mix of emotions. So as suspected I am a DDD-E cup not the DD I have been wearing. The doctor explained to me the way in which he does his incisions which is the anchor method without the line going down (so just the U part). He would bring me down to a small c- mid c.

I am currently 5'7 236. Bringing me down to a C slightly concerns me. Over the past 3 weeks I have lost 13 pounds because I would like to lose as much as possible before surgery. (At least another 30 by mid August. He told me he did not want me to lose anymore weight. That is not really flying with me. He is concerned with how much he will need to remove and insurance etc.. So he does not think insurance approval will be an issue even at my weight.

I wanted to set up a surgery date upon leaving because even if insurance denies at first I will pay the $6,000 out of pocket and appeal w insurance later. I know I have had the boobs forever and should not be in a rush but when I want something I want it now and I have a vacation coming up on 10/17 to Universal Studios so I want to feel my best.

Surgery Dates:
He performs surgery every 2nd and 4th Tuesday of the month. My goal was late July or Early to Mid August so that I have time to heal before vacation. He suggested 7/29 well I know it is silly but I have front row seats to see Drake in concert on 8/12 and I am not giving that up. So I don't think two weeks is an appropriate amount of time to be jumping around at a concert.

Next up 8/12 well no (see previous reason)

Next up 8/26. My brother's birthday. My brother passed away two years ago so I do not feel right having surgery on his birthday. Not to mention the docs office is right next to the funeral home where my brother's viewing was. So that was tough to deal with. Secondly I don't want to risk going on vacation about 6 weeks later and not be properly healed. Also I am in accounting so that is a bad time to be out of work.

So I think all those things combined is a sign not to have him do the surgery. I have another consultation next wed.

So yay as I was writing this the surgery scheduler from the second consultation called me back and said that this doctor does his surgeries on Thursdays and August would be wide open because he has not done his August schedule yet. She said 8/14 won't be an issue. That makes me feel so much better. I have also heard great things about him as well.

So I will update next Wed with my consultation from him.

Just a quick note about work yesterday

So around 2pm my back started to ache so bad. I was at my chair just leaning back to try to relieve some of the ache. I stood up and dropped my entire upper part of my body to the ground to try to crack it. I just sat at my desk and cried. I can't wait for the day I can read this entry and look back and say "boy I am so happy I don't have that problem anymore.

2nd consultation

So today was my second opinion/ second consultation. Boy am I glad I had a second opinion. Something with the first doctor didn't sit right with me. I am the type of person that's wants it yesterday. If you are like me I would highly recommend setting up at least 2-3 consultations very close to each other. I met with
Dr. Timothy P. O'connor, MD with The Plastic Surgery Group of Rochester. Really nice guy. He said he will aim for a D cup which is what I am going for. He also told me that I should lose as much weight as possible before surgery. This was a complete difference from the last doctor who told me he didn't want me to lose any weight and wanted to hack me down to a small C. Well at 5'7 235 I don't think that's going to look ok. So I will be setting my surgery date when his assistant returns Monday. His August schedule is wide open so I'm planning on Aug 21st. He said he will submit to insurance and excellus takes about a week,

Type of procedure

I forgot the most exciting part. Dr O'connor decided that I would be an excellent candidate for the lollipop incision. This means that I will only have the incision around my nipple and down to the ribcage. I will not need the extra anchor scar. I'm excited about that. I will be doing more research on that as well.

Surgery Date scheduled for 8/21/14

So I got the call from the doctor that surgery is confirmed for 8/21. So excited. I still have not heard back from insurance. The paperwork was submitted today and she said that takes about a week. Either way I am getting it done. If I am denied I will pay for it and appeal later. I can't go on vacation with these constant back and stomach pains. Does anyone else get stomach pains with their back pains??

Insurance approved!

Got the approval letter today! Wow the doctors assistant just submitted it on Thursday. I wasn't even expecting an answer that fast! Now the only thing I need to do is hang on for about 35 more days.

Pre-Op Testing in the morning

Not much going on exactly two weeks from today is my surgery. I have my pre op testing today. I am so excited I hope these two weeks fly by.

7 days beofre surgery!

I am soooo ready. I am not one bit nervous but I am sure that will change on surgery day. I have never been in the hospital before. Pre op testing was a breeze and took about an hour. As time gets closer I cannot wait until the night before surgery I am tossing all of my bras :-) I also notice how much time I used to (and still do) spend time trying to find shirts that are higher to the neck and longer sleeve shirts. I am excited that I will not have to go on vacation feeling crappy about what shirt I am going to wear. I hope this week flies by. Next update will be when I am out of recovery. I am staying the night in the hospital so I will let you know how it goes later that day or night depending on how I feel.

Less than 48 hours until I am on the other side!! ( ok I couldn't wait until after recovery to update)

Decided just to post what I want before surgery because feelings are very much a part of the process. AAHHHHH!!!! I can't wait! I've been flattening my chest in the mirror. In less than 48 hours the years of back pain will be gone (hopefully) and I will feel better about myself.

Step #1. I set up an appointment with a private trainer to develop a fitness plan for 5-6 weeks after surgery because I have some weight to lose. (My boobs aren't going anywhere don't worry). I plan on cutting up my bras tomorrow night. I went to Walmart and bought a front close Danskin exercise bra. Upon recommendation of others I also bought the Bali Comfort Bra. My husband asked today if I was "ready to get my boobs chopped off" you have no idea buddy!. I wonder how long I will need to wait after to have sex... A question I forgot to ask.

Day of surgery

Ok it's shortly after midnight. I was told an hour after I shower to wipe my chest with a Sage skin prep cloth which they provided me. My surgery time got pushed back to 1:30 grrr so I have to be there at 12. I got the entire house cleaned up this was there will be no cleaning for a while. I took some before pics. This will be my last update until I wake up and feel up to being on my phone. I imagine that once I get to the hospital I won't get a chance to update. I will be staying the night . My surgeon prefers that and I am happy he does. Before pics are attached. One is bigger than the other. It still doesn't feel like it's really going to happen. I will put the same tank top on after a week or two to see the difference.

Waiting to go back to the OR

Just got my iv's. My mom and husband are waiting with me. Surgery a scheduled for 1:30 but is running a little behind. Still not nervous. Surgery is supposed to be 4 hours so I should be done around 6/6:30. I have ted stockings on and something massaging my legs. They gave me a blood thinner shot and start my fluids.

On the other side

Yay all done! I don't feel my chest is as heavy. Haven't really looked in the mirror i get dizzy when I stand up. I have private room so that's cool. I believe 650 CC was taken from each side. I finally got to eat and drink. Overall I feel good. The oxygen mask was the scariest part. Honestly I wasn't scared at all. As everyone said you just pass out and wake up in recovery. As soon as I can take pictures I will he said he was making me a full c small d which I am was fine with. He ended up doing the Inferior Pedical reduction

They keep waking me up every two hours

I can't wait to get home already I can't get good sleep at the hospital. Anyways I had the nurse take some pictures. These were a few hours after surgery.

2 hours post op

Before and after two hours post op

I will these before and after twice a week and update my review every week with them

1st night home

Sleeping is rough. Laying on my back is tough because I am a side sleeper and my ribs kill me everytime I get up . Thank god I have a recliner in the bedroom looks like I'll be sleeping on that for the next week or two.

First shower

These pics are prior to the first shower. I am 3 days post op. I feel great. When standing too long I get dizzy. My rib pain has significantly decreased. I highly recommend having a shower head that has a removable piece so that you can get all the spots you want. I was allowed to get my breast my breast wet since there are no drains. I feel nice and clean now. I only needed help with closing the bra. My boobs look so pointy lol I know that will change with time. I also put on a tank that I always wear and took a before and after and while I have no bra on in the first you can def see the difference.

5 days post op.

Hurts to bend over. Have to hold boobs in place. Sick of wearing the bra all the time but I know it's key to recovery so I give myself a five minute break a couple times a day. Showered last night and almaot passed out. I highly suggest having someone there while you shower. I always make sure my husband is in the next room in case I need him. I just want to scratch so bad but again I am being good. I have to remember to pick up some Benadryl. Last but not least although the pictures show a complete difference why don't I look in the mirror and see it? I measured my chest and it's still the same. Yes I know there is "swelling" but I don't feel swollen. I'm just a mess of emotions I hope that's normal. I have not has back pain at all though so that's a huge plus and I def see the perkiness.

1 week post op appt

Everything went good. I can stop wearing the surgical bra and switch to a sports bra that's non-padded. I go back into weeks to talk about scar therapy. The Steri-Strips came off today. Just a little nervous that the one boob is still longer than the other but I know it's way too early. Today I feel great I feel like I'm the perfect shape so it's really a day by day thing.

Itching and shirt shopping

The itching is torture!! I've been taking Benadryl but it always makes me tired. Ugh I don't scratch but it's annoying. Nothing I can really do the steri strips aren't there. There is no rash or anything just a part of healing. So on a positive note I tried some shirts on today. I can't wait for all of you ladies who are awaiting your surgery to experience the day you can go shopping for shirts and not want to leave crying. It was an amazing thing. Now my stomach is another story but the second I am clear to excercise my trainer is ready to get me in the gym. I do notice that I have started to care more about my physical appearance and about the things I can do to make myself feel good about looking my best. I'm starting to feel better about the size he made me. So if I'm ok now with swelling still present and the future weight loss I know I will be happy.

Bras

This is really a rollercoaster I want to get off of lol. So today was not a good day. My breast are sensitive and painful today. At the very bottom where my drainage tubes were is a little bit of blood draining. Nothing I'm alarmed about but I have decided that even though I was told I could wear a sports bra I'm going back to my surgical bra. I just put it back on and I feel like it gives me more support. The Bali comfort bras were nice but I don't feel that I'm ready for that yet. Maybe I should get a smaller size of the Bali so that I am more compressed? My right nipple is oversensitive and my left is getting that way too. Anytime anything brushes it I itch. I have a journey ahead of me. I won't ask myself did I do the right thing because I know I did. Since the surgery I have been 100% free of back pain. That alone is all I need.

17 days post op. Checking in

The picture I am uploading shows the top at 1 weeks post op and the bottom is 17 days post op. I apologize I am a little angled in the bottom picture but as you can see swelling has gone down a lot. The skin between my breast is finally not tight anymore. I still have some trouble bending over. Finally I am able to somewhat sleep on my side. I don't think my scarring is going to be that bad. I would highly recommend skipping gauze pads and using maxi pads. They are great because the sticky part keeps it in place in your bra. I had a little leaking and had to start putting them in my bra.

Checking in 25 days post op

Feeling great. Should be clear to excercise at my next post op 1 1/2 weeks from now. Made a
Couple of new pics for you to see. Not one day of back pain since surgery. Can this be my new life? I'm just waiting for the back pain to kick in. Such a relief. It's amazing how much time I used to spend putting shirts on and stretching the chest out. Also on hot summer days I would come home and wet a paper towel with alcohol to run around my chest because of the sweating. I feel like the doctor made me the perfect size for me. Final bill ended up being $1800 (high deductible) but worth every penny. The part of the breast where the drain was taken out seems like it's finally closing up. I think it should be completely closed within a week. I am able to sleep on my side comfortably yay!

Checking In :-)

Hi Everyone!

Just wanted to check in I know it has been a while and I did not want to abandon anyone. Well here I am roughly 1 1/2 months later. I feel excellent! I started my exercise program last week and I feel great. I have no "zingers" as other have called them or sharp shooting pains. I have not done any scar therapy yet because I just can't remember to do that everyday. Quite frankly I could care less about scarring. I tried on some lingerie the other night and my breast actually fit perfectly in them and they are so perky! I am happier than I have ever been. I feel normal. So was it worth it? Absolutely. The area where my drains were have closed up. I was concerned about that before. My doctor has been pretty good. Not much else to report! I will take pictures every month or so and update.
Dr. Timothy P. O'connor, MD