Excision of 2 Chicken Pox Scars on Forehead - Richmond, VA

Hated seeing these two indents on my forehead for...

Hated seeing these two indents on my forehead for 20yrs! Went in for a consult- wanted laser resurfacing, but opted for the excisions.

Excising a scar is invasive. Involves cutting out the old scar tissue and using the heathy surround tissue to close the wound. Left with a small linear scar, but less noticeable.

I am very happy with my results! Even though after removing the stitches they look rough.

I've been taking care of them by applying neosporin and small bandages. You must keep the area clean and moist, you don't want the area to scab, if so keep applying neosporin and cover them up at night locking in the moisture.

I'm blessed with good skin, so I hope the healing goes perfectly. I have also purchased mederma night scar cream and silicone scar patches. Will try those soon.

Wound is healing nicely!

Over my brow, has already healed. I'm able to were the silicone patch to help the healing, these patches allow the scar to remain moist and will results in a flat, skin colored scar.
The larger wound is still healing. Just applied neosporin. It's very important to keep the wounds clean and moist! Always keep them covered with silicone gel, patches, or neosporin if you want best results.

It's been 11 days since the excision and I think Dr. Montante did a wonderful job.

Healing Process

Scars are slowly healing at this point. The scabs are gone, but the wounds are still delicate.
I'm still waiting on my prescribe silicone gel. Mederma has been working well.
The over brow scar needs a lot of attention. Nervous about it being too visible.

Scars are slowing fading.

I'm able to apply concealer to the scars to make them fade. Hoping by the end of the year they will have lightened up, still a little pink. The $40 cream my PS recommended seems to not work as well. I'm sticking to mederma and silicone sheets.

Still healing

I used retinol A to help improve the scar, but it caused me to breakout.

Remove or IMPROVE Scars! (My excision story)

Apparently most Plastic Surgeons do not post Before & After photos of minor cosmetic procedures... I think they should start. Prior to getting my scars excised I would play the Blame Game, "it's your fault I have these ugly scars on my forehead (my father said my mother messed with them)" I truly HATED seeing them, I would often over look them because I believed there was nothing I could do about removing them. It's a scar!

But that changed, I was SO determined to get rid of my chickenpox indents... for my own personal acceptance. Most people didn't notice them, but a few have asked about them. So I decided to use GOOGLE, my savior. Did some research and made an appointment with the 1st credible PS I could find (30mins up the road from me).

This isn't a BIG deal, I was fortunate enough to have small scars, others may consider mine to be nothing. But I'm hoping those who want to excise their scars find the answers and results they need.

During my FREE consult Dr. Montonte he felt the dimensions of my indented scar and felt the best way to go about the procedure is a slightly invasive excision... I wanted dermabrasion but that would've been $1,000 (machine rental) without guarantee.

They told me it would cost $250 to remove both! WHAT?!?! That's so reasonable! I made my appointment.

Before my procedure I was really nervous, they had me sit in a basic room with a "dentist chair" in it. They (doc and assistant) had me lay on that and then prepped the area... The Doc dotted around my scars, then injected my scars with numbing serum. He started cutting away at them, I could hear and barely feel him cut at my skin. Honestly I wish I could've seen what he was doing! How awful something could look in order to improve something. Anyways the Doc and assistant were awfully quiet, which made me worry that something wasn't right.
After the procedure they let me look at them covered up in bandages... I would've asked to see them before they were covered.

So I left the office thinking... "WOW!! I can't believe I actually went through this alone! I am soo brave!"
I washed around the bandages and they were supposed to fall off, but mine stuck on for a week.
Went back in after 7days and a lady removed my stitches and she was rough about it. They prescribed me this scar gel, and until then I would just use Neosporin and KEEP OUT OF THE SUN! (I went to West Palm Beach a few weeks after... they got some sunlight >.
Dr. Steve Montonte

Calm and humble. Great work on faces.