The Big

I got a chin implant during my 1 week vacation....

I got a chin implant during my 1 week vacation. Had been told - and read - that within a week+ I'd be "restaurant ready." Well - THIS is unbelieveable! I haven't seen any decrease in the swelling for about 4 days now (I'm on day 7 post op). My doctor put me on another antibiotic, although there's no evidence of an infection - the inside of my mouth has already healed beautifully. I was in no way prepared for this and am having to return to my very public position with a Jay Leno, huge chin - definitely NOT what I had planned! PLEASE do not let anyone tell you this is quick and easy. It might be, and that'll be great. Enjoy the surprise. But it could also be like this! I think you need at least 2 weeks to feel "public" ready! I've even begun taking photos each morning to record that the swelling has not changed for a long time!

I'm 13 days out from surgery. My jawline still...

I'm 13 days out from surgery. My jawline still looks rather square and unnatural. I still have no feeling in my lower lip, and my smile is uneven, but everything I have read suggests that this may take at least another week or so. The bruising on my neck is almost gone. But I'm still pretty swollen. Others have written about tightness and tingling in their chins and I'm experiencing both, but I expected these, too. I would easily say that you need at least 2 weeks before returning to the work world, especially if you work with people! One of the weirdest things I'm feeling is a burning under my chin, and my chin itself is really, really dry - as if all this stretching is drying it out! But week 2 I'm finally feeling like it is beginning to look better!

Okay. Now almost 3 weeks post-op (tomorrow it...

Okay. Now almost 3 weeks post-op (tomorrow it will officially be 3 weeks). Still numb on my bottom lip and actual chin area, but bruising is gone and sweeping is definitely down, but not completely. I realize this will take longer. It still feels tight, but I realize that takes time, too. My husband LOVES my new chin, and I'm getting there! The transition line of my jaw still has a dent on both sides, but the weirdest thing are the new "lines" (wrinkles!) on either side of my chin - they go left to right, not up and down! I'm hoping these are due to the swelling, but they're strange! My doctor has been great!!! Last week I had some excess fluid removed from an area under my jaw, but there's still a little knot there. Patience, patience!

Thanks! I'm wondering if that willbe the case for...

Thanks! I'm wondering if that willbe the case for me! I've "watched" myself talk, and you're right - it doesn't "look" different, but it's numb. I'm also still somewhat swollen, and I've been thinking that since I still have some swelling, it could mean that I'll be numb till the swelling is all gone! Oh well - at least I can hope! I see the doctor on Thursday and I'm hoping for some good news!

Well, 2 months later and a lot has changed! Sure...

Well, 2 months later and a lot has changed! Sure enough, the swelling that was on one side of my jawline was, indeed, the implant that had slipped off my jaw!! Pin addition, the implant was just too large and my boxy face felt unnatural. So, I had a repair job! The large implant was removed and a medium was put in, through an incision under my chin! The good news? All the feeling that I had regained in my lips remained! I was so afraid that I'd have to go through the weeks of numbness again, but my lips feel fine! So I'm one day post op and as expected, I'm swollen under my chin, but it already looks better!! Moral of the story? Be sure to work closely with your surgeon!! If you have a good one - as I do - you'll get what is best for you! Yes, I'm not pleased that I've had to go through this again, but my doctor agreed wholeheartedly and I'm looking forward to my new chin!!!

Still more??

Well, I went in for my 2 month check up and my chin had to be shot full of Botox because the muscle in it had caused my chin to flatten when the rest of my face was relaxed! Ridiculous! But I do have to admit that it looks much better now! I'm still numbe in the middle of my lower lip and underneath, but I'm not panicking yet!! I just hope the Botox relaxes things a bit until my chin muscles relax themselves. Bottom line is this- think carefully about this procedure!!!!
Richmond Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Reputation and lots of research!

I know its only been a couple of days, but have you noticed the Botox taking effect at all yet? I'll be curious to hear how that area feels when it does. Please keep us posted.

The Botox was wonderful! My chin has relaxed a lot! I'm still experiencing
Some numbness right under, and in the middle, of my lower lip! I'm able to move my lips completely, so I know that healing is happening! But what a long process!!! I long for the day when I have feeling!!

Yeah, numbness really is a weird feeling to deal with. I can imagine it only gets more so the longer its like that. Its encouraging to hear your lip movement is returning to normal though! :)

What type of implant did you have and what do you have now? I saw you went from large to medium, but model type and make? Glad you like the revision :)
Great question, but I'm not positive about the brand! Frankly, I have a small face and I thought a medium would be best, but the doctor thought a large would be best! Seems weird to be saying that I'm glad that it had to be redone so I can get what is best for me!!
Just wanted to share my experience with you. Almost a year and a half ago I had rhinoplasty with chin implantation and I still don't have feeling on the very left lower lip and left corner of my chin. Be prepared it may never come back. It doesn't look odd you just have a numb sensation when you touch those spots. Good luck with yours.
Well, at 3.5 weeks, it's getting better BUT I still have no feeling in my lower lip and am still swollen. I still have that square, Jay Leno - type jawline - not terribly attractive on me! I skyped with a daughter this morning who said that my face "looked funny" - and it does! My doctor said that as the swelling goes down, it'll look more feminine! Thank GOODNESS! In addition to the swelling on my jawline, I'm still swollen on my chin and below my lower lip itself, although there is an indentation below my lower lip. I heard that I'll get feeling back when the swelling is down, so apparently I still have to wait a bit longer . . . As I mentioned earlier, my motto is "at least it's not getting worse!" I'm not sure that I LIKE this motto, but it keeps me looking forward!
How did your Dr appointment go?
Have you mentioned the dents to your Dr.? I told mine about it and he thinks my results are "aesthetically pleasing." Don't like the weird transition.
I'm going in on Friday to talk about it. I don't like them!! I'll post what I find out!
And some pics! I'm going to give it one more month, that will be 4 months post op, if not I will meet with my Dr again and talk about a revision. What kind of implant did you get? Mine is a medium anatomical by Implantech.
It took me 3 weeks or enough swelling to go down before I looked good enough to show my face to everyone. It really took 2 months for swelling to go down, smile somewhat normal. I'm now 3 months post op and all numbness is gone, everything back to normal. Give it time, it will get better. But it's not true what drs say about healing time. It really takes at least 3 weeks. Good thing I took 2.5 weeks off of work, but had I know would have taken 3 weeks. Glad no one noticed still at work :)
Thank you SO MUCH for your comment. I keep reminding myself that it's not getting worse (!!) and the swelling truly is going down, but much slower than I had expected! I hope my track follows yours!
Will you be posting pics? Check out my review for my progress. I will be adding more progress pics. I'm also thinking of a revision. http://www.realself.com/review/la-jolla-ca-chin-implant-results-like

Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry to hear you are still having so much swelling. How did it go when you went back to work??

I lecture to large classes at a university, and I simply had to explain that I had had some surgery and was going to look like Jay Leno for awhile! I still don't have much feeling in my bottom lip, so smiling is hard! I wear a scarf because of all the bruising on my neck and chest. NOT what I had planned! BTW, I'm NOT upset at my doctor - he's great! This is just a reality and I think people need to be aware of this possibility.

I agree that its important that people really know what to expect with recovery, so I so appreciate you sharing this. I know all those who come after and read it, and are thus more prepared will be grateful as well!

Please continue to update us on how the swelling and bruising is doing. Hopefully you have a good scarf collection!!

I fully endorse your aim of raising awareness of the recovery time for this procedure. I had a large implant 9 weeks ago and was informed that 7 to 10 days was typical. Hmm..... Based on my particular experience, i would urge anyone contemplating a chin implant to think very carefully about this aspect and also the size of the implant itself as i believe this will also have a number of important implications. Unless your chin is exceptionally weak, a large implant will look very extreme and prove difficult to come to terms with; both visually and also in terms of the practicalities. Over 2 months later, for example, the right hand side of my chin is still numb, as is the same side of the lower lip and the whole area feels very tight indeed. To place this into context, the sensation may best be described as having a piece of strong industrial tape permanently taped across the lower half of the face below the bottom lip. Speaking looks about as natural as a Thunderbirds puppet! Even the relatively easy task of eating a sandwich is problematical as it is not possible to draw the lower lip out of the way. Manipulating food in the mouth to chew causes an accumulation under the gum at the front where it has to be swilled with water prior to swallowing. Smiling is narrow and restricted. I could continue, though by now you will know where this is going- a few weeks to recover is highly optinistic to say the least. This is a major procedure from which to recuperate. Additionally, a large implant is likely to have a more extreme effect on features than anticipated, so be prepared not to like the result. In my case, the word bulldog springs to mind. It will be very apparent to everyone that work has been undertaken, so forget the notion of a subtle profile change and be prepared not to receive a single complement on that new look new you cherished. Do not underestimate the psychological impact either. You may well find yourself avoiding social situations, ducking business meetings and ultimately lose your self confidence. This therefore is an expose of the less glamorous, less publicised side of the coin and hopefully this will enable any potentially interested parties to arrive at a more informed and meaningful decision. Just be certain that you want this and be prepared to live with the lengthy and painful consequences if the outcome is not as anticipated. My advice is to be absolutely sure that the size of implant selected suits the shape, size and contours of your face. Best of luck and hope this helps someone.