DIEP Reconstruction - Richmond, VA

After having a modified radical mastectomy, chemo...

After having a modified radical mastectomy, chemo and radiation at age 44 for breast cancer, I was told by a couple of doctors that reconstruction would be difficult due to the damage of the radiation and that I may be able to achieve 'symmetry' but probably not good results otherwise. My oncologist gave me Dr. Ladocsi's name and from the initial consultation he made me feel at ease and hopeful...he had a plan. Prior to surgery he answered every possible question that I had, and answered it in a way that I understood it. The surgery went absolutely wonderful and the results have been better than I could have ever asked for. I couldn't recommend Dr. Ladocsi more, his obvious skill is evident in my results and his bedside manner is wonderful, he truly takes care of you inside and out. He gave me my confidence back, and I couldn't be more grateful.
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Oh I'm so happy to hear you're pleased with your results especially after being told there wasn't much hope. You've been through enough and deserve to have nice looking breasts. How long did the entire process take? And how many surgeries did you end up having? Thank you for sharing your story. It will be inspirational to many other women facing reconstruction!
Thanks Beth. The reconstruction itself was one surgery, which I had in June, I go back in the next couple of weeks for some finishing touches (nipple, etc.) I had to wait for six months after radiation before the reconstruction surgery. The surgery was not bad, I spent two nights in the hospital (some people spend a couple more) and even though I had cleared myself to be off from work for 6 weeks, I actually felt good enough after two weeks to go back to work for half days and was actually able to do some sit ups after about a month. I will also point out that I'm pretty much on the thin side, and didn't really have a 'belly to spare', but, Dr. Ladocsi was still able use what belly I had to make a breast that is a perfect match to my unaffected breast. I would really recommend this surgery to anyone in my situation, I haven't had a single regret.
No matter what the situation, breast reconstruction surgery is challenging. I have to say that your surgery sounds like it wasn't too bad compared to many other women. I can't believe you were doing sit ups one month post-op...that's amazing. Sounds like your doctor is a true artist to be able to work with a small tummy and create a new matching breast. Did you need any type of surgery or lift on your unaffected breast? Keep us posted on the finishing touches!