Pain is Subjective.....Richfield, MN

Just finishing a 5 year oral rebuild. The zoom was...

Just finishing a 5 year oral rebuild. The zoom was the icing on a long process that included fractured molar extraction, invisalign, crowns on all uppers, and an eventual implant (molar) when my insurance kicks back in. I have extreme sensitivity issues on my bottoms, so I use 3M Clinpro toothpaste which helps. I prepped by adding Clinpro to my invisalign retainers at night for about a week. I had been using the Nite White but was not pleased with the results, as my bottoms were not nice and white like my new crowns.

The procedure itself was uneventful, though by the 3 treatment the zingers began and I was done. I do not think I could have tolerated another 15 minutes of treatment. The zingers are surprising and nerve racking but last for only seconds before quieting down (for me at least). And as I say pain is subjective. After all the work I have been through in the last 5 years this type of pain is comparably minimal. For me, the pain is not like a throbbing toothache that goes on for hours and hours. It is more of a transient sparkler type pain that makes you go oooh! for a few seconds then quiets down. I have put in my Invisalign trays with Clinpro that may help speed the resealing process.

Overall I am dealing with the zingers well and I am very happy with the results. The Tech measured and I did go up 8 shades in 45 minutes. Not bad for a little suffering. It should be noted that I do get the same pain and zinger issues fro the Night White as well. So I am very happy results! Big Thanks to all the folks at O' Neil dental in Mn!

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

Next Day

Well I made it through the night and zingers are gone! Must say it was an interesting evening. I am a surgical nurse by trade and was on call last night for emergency cases. Well... of course...we ended up doing 5 emergencies last night. By late afternoon the sensitivity issue began to peak and I really wanted to take something for pain but just could not do so due to work. So I had to gun through it. The zingers would pop up for no apparent reason, and you do want to yell out at times because they are surprising (I was not eating or drinking and barely breathing at times) and being unable to actually vocalize my pain ( sure that would have stunned the surgeon) I practiced a good deal of guided imagery and screaming in my head. After the cases were finished I was absolutely exhausted from dealing with pain. My thoughts were I would never do Zoom again especially for vanity! When I got home I took 800 ibuprofen and a diazepam and slept like a rock. I feel like a new woman today with no zingers and my teeth are pearly white! So overall I am very happy with the results. If I had to do it again, I think I might, now having better idea of what is coming and proper planning on my part.

Here is my advice: Take the day off from work!
Get some pain meds from your practitioner
Take your pain meds and go to bed

I agree 100%...I just had Zoom! chairside whitening on Thursday. My zingers were nearly unbearable. I made it through 2 of the 3 15 minute treatments before I tapped out. There was just NO WAY. I got out of my appointment at 1 pm and between 2 and 8 pm I was screaming out in pain at times. I took some pain medication I had socked away for an occasion such as this and also did some swishing with coconut oil. The pain didn't let up at all until I introduced the coconut oil into my regimen of hydrocodone and fluoride gel (they gave me some ACP RELIEF gel with my Zoom! take home kit. There was also Night White 22% gel and my custom made trays) Whew...It was touch and go but all in all I guess I'm glad I did it. Wish I'd held out the last 15 minutes though!!
Glad you made through Cally! I will have to remember the coconut oil if I ever decide to do this again. Hope you enjoy your bright pearly whites!
Thank you for this fantastic review!  I hope you come back and let us know about some of your other treatments.  It sounds like quite a story, and we have lots of other dental communities :).  I also hope you'll give us a picture in a week or two or a month or something.  I always wonder how quickly the results fade or dull but people rarely come back to update on Zoom.
Shannon

I highly recommend O'Neil dental for your dental needs in Minnesota. Dr's O'Neil and Schwartz are amazing. Staff is always friendly and well training. Technician Ashley is well trained in Zoom process and procedure. She did a great job of protecting soft tissues and applying whitening gel. The office is a well oiled machine! I have been to see Dr. O'Neil since 1997. He is always educating himself and staff latest technologies and techniques. He and Dr. Schwartz always put my comfort and well being first and take the time to always ensure the work is quality dentistry.