Open Communication is Crucial - Richardson, TX

It is vital that you select a board certified...

It is vital that you select a board certified plastic surgeon. Do your research & don't bargain hunt....this is NOT the area in which you want to "clip coupons". I cannot stress the importance of being extremely clear with what it is you're looking for from the get-go. If at any time you are uncertain about anything or if your needs have changed - you need to be sure to talk with the surgeon as soon as possible BEFORE SURGERY. Ask about the size she/he recommends for you, ask to actually hold a sample implant & compare sizes. If you have a conflicting opinion on the size - speak up right then, don't wait.

After my first BA surgery in late July, I truly regretted not speaking with my surgeon directly about the size that was selected for me. At my pre-op appointment I was shown various size implants & was told by the nurse a certain size had already been ordered for me. When I looked at the sample implant of the size ordered, I'd mentioned it was too small & that I'd need bigger. The originally ordered implants were used & overfilled but unfortunately were still too small. I was so unhappy, extremely depressed & upset. (This is where going with a board certified surgeon comes into play.) After expressing my feelings about the results, the surgeon happily agreed to a revision surgery.

Unfortunately, I had do dish out more money to cover bigger implants - but had I pushed for bigger implants at my pre-op, a revision surgery may not have been necessary. It's been almost 3 weeks since my revision surgery & I am very happy with the results. My surgeon & his staff were very supportive & professional throughout the entire process.

One more important bit of advice is - be patient. I've seen several surgeons on this site say it over & over again & it's true. It's easy to look at the immediate outcome & become worried, but unless there is something so obviously wrong....just continue with the post op appointments, keep the communication open with your surgeon & allow your body to heal. Best wishes!

Thank you for sharing your experience here on RealSelf. You have lots of good input for other ladies about to go through surgery and I couldn't agree more: communicate with your surgeon. It's so important! This is not the time to be mousy. Speak up!

Thank you so much for your advice. I think that we all know that we should speak up, but the process can be so intimidating. I will definetly keep your words in my mind as I continue interviewing surgeons.