Revision Rhinoplasty - Looking for the Right Surgeon

I had Rhinoplasty performed last January and the...

I had Rhinoplasty performed last January and the outcome has not been good. The goal was to reduce the overall size, remove bump on bridge and refine the tip a little. The Doctor built up the nose to reduce the bump and built my tip way out, as a result my nose is bigger than it was before the surgery. But worst of all my tip is all messed up and curves to the left. I can see and feel cartilage grafts out of place. On the left side nostril there is a white patch of skin that has been getting worse with time, after asking a few other Doctors they believe it is pressure from misplaced tip cartilage.

I wish I never had the surgery in the first place but now I am faced with finding a surgeon I can trust and have the issues fixed. I am looking for a Doctor that not only is well known for revision rhinoplasty but also will be able to reduce the size of my nose not build it up. I live in Saint Louis but I am looking at Doctors from all over the states. Does any one have any recommendations? I have looked at Dr. Andrew Frankel, Dr. Jay Calvert, Dr. Gary Motykie and Dr. C. Spencer Cochran.

I have a phone Consult with Dr. Frankel in a week and will be setting up a skype consult with Dr. Calvert soon.

Does anyone have experience with any of the Doctors I mentioned or recommend anyone else?

I really appreciate any advice!

post op pics

Adding some post op pics.

I have a Skype Consults scheduled with Dr. Calvert next Wednesday 10/2.

Phone and Skype consults done, in person consults set

I had my phone consult with Dr. Frankel and Skype with Dr. Calvert. I really liked them both but seems to be leaning towards Dr. Frankel.

Dr. Calvert mentioned he would most likely use Temporalis Fascia Graft. Frankel did not mention that so I looked into it and it seems like Dr. Frankel does not like to use faica grafts unless necessary since it causes loss of definition and can cause more scar tissue. Take a look at his answer to this question (http://www.realself.com/question/denver-pros-and-cons-fascia-grafting-in-rhinoplasty)

Dr. Frankels noses seem to be smaller than Dr. Calverts and I am wondering if Calverts use of Faica grafting is one of the reasons why.

Regardless I am flying in next month to meet with them both and will find out more on Dr. Calverts use of Facia grafting at that time.

In Person Consults

So I flew to L.A. and had my in person consults with Dr. Calvert and Dr. Frankel.

I was really impressed with Dr. Frankel. His approach to find out what I my issues were and ultimately what I want to achieve with the revision was great. He was very comforting and I felt like he really wanted find out what I wanted my nose to look like, but at the same time I felt that he was realistic and was not just telling me what I wanted to hear. I have a few more follow up questions for him that I am going to email today. But I have a great feeling about him so far.

I would like to get at least one more opinion before I make a decision. Still looking to book the surgery for January.

Date set with Dr. Frankel

I made a deposit and scheduled a date with Dr. Frankel. The date is set for beginning of January. I am not sure if I will seek a third opinion in the meantime as I feel like all my research has been pointing me to Frankel. If anyone else here has had personal experience with him I would appreciate any feedback.

3 weeks to go!

I will be having surgery with Dr. Andrew Frankel in Beverly Hills in 3 weeks. I have been in contact with some people on various forums that have recently had Rhinos with him and they are all very happy with the results. The more I research Dr. Frankel and speak to his patients the more confident I am of my decision to go with him. Right now I am just getting everything ready for the surgery. I will post more soon.

Surgery is done, now the recovery begins...

I had my surgery last week and the cast came off this past Wednesday. The surgery ended up taking over 5 hours to complete and Dr. Frankel did have to use some ear cartilage.

Dr. Frankel and his staff were wonderful during the whole process. I still feel really good about choosing him and I am hopeful that I am going to be very happy with my nose. It is still way to early to tell what how the results are as I am really really really swollen. I can at least tell that my nose seems straight at this point but beyond that I just look like I got into a hardcore fight.

In a few weeks I will update my review once the swelling has gone down and I have a better idea of the results of the revision.
Dr. Andrew Frankel

Having revision rhinoplasty with Dr. Frankel in Beverly Hills the second week of January and hoping for a good outcome. After much research I feel like I can put my trust in Dr. Frankel to do a great Job. He seems to be a very skilled surgeon and just a all around good person. Only time will tell if I made the right choice.

Hi there! Any updates yet? Thanks for sharing!
Was hoping to hear how you are healing and if you are happy with your results
Any updates and photos? Still debating on using him
How are you healing? Happy with the results so far?
Could you message me pictures? I am thinking of using Dr. Frankel also.
Would you be willing to post a picture, just so I can see how the swelling is? That is my biggest fear!!
Thanks for replying.... Were you scared? Did you have second thoughts?
How did the surgery go? I'm have mine scheduled for this Tuesday... But I'm having second thoughts. Really scared!!! Your response would be much appreciated!!!
How did it go??
Excited to hear about your experience with him! How much did he quote you for your revision? Many of his reviews lack a cost which is a determining factor for me! Thanks so much!! Good luck!
The quote is for $16,000 after the Surgical Center and General Anesthesia fees. Mine is a complicated revision so primary surgeries with him are probably less expensive.
Please share results!
good luck and waiting for your story
I can't wait to hear who you go with. I seem to keep coming across Dr. Frankel a lot when researching. My daughter is still in high school so we don't have the time until this summer to go on consults but since her nose came out similar to yours I would like to keep in contact with who you go with and your results. Good luck it sure is scary second time around we seem to know too much now but in a good way.
Hi irsi, I am not wanting to reveal the Doctor's name at this point publicly but if you want to private message I will let you know.
May I ask who did your first surgery? I'm sorry you need a revision and hope you find the right surgeon. Be sure to ask any surgeon you choose what they do to treat post-op swelling, pain, tweaking of their work, etc. Other than that, I hope you find the right person.
By the way my nose looks very similar to yours and he had a catalogue full of cases that were very similar to mine
You should consult with Dr. Rollin in Newport Beach. He is very specialized and experienced in revision Rhinoplasty. I am doing a secondary and I'm going with him after I saw his extensive work catalogues at his office. My only concern is that he is in his mid sixties....
I'm curious to how your nose turned out with Dr. Rollin Daniels. I had surgery with him about 6 months ago and I feel like he destroyed my nose. My nostrils are completely crooked!! My right nostril goes up way higher than my left and it looks like the bridge of my nose is collapsing. I know that I am still healing but I feel like my nose should still look symmetrical. Anyway, I'm very unhappy and am looking for another doctor to fix his mistakes :(
If you don't mind me asking is there much of a price difference between the two doctors? I heard fascia can be good for those with thin skin where grafting might 'poke' out the skin but I highly doubt a surgeon as accomplished as Frankel would allow this to happen in any case. Did either recommend any ear/ rib grafts?Really looking foward to watching your journey as I am unfortunately on a similar one :( all the best
Revision Rhinoplasty - Looking for the Right Surgeon: Dear Movingforward123, I am a facial plastic surgeon and have been doing rhinoplasty for the last 18 years. Where I did my residency (LSU) we did so much facial plastic surgery that we sponsored doctor a year in our facial plastic surgery fellowship (thru the American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery). Most of my rhinoplasties I perform are revision cases. Having said all of that, hear is what I think. Your nose is crocked due to a displaced graft or your septum. My first step, after opening your nose would be to undo every thing the previous doctor did (take out the graft at the top of the dorsum, remove any shield grafts or what ever is there building up your tip). Once that is accomplished, and we are back to baseline, remove bony/cartilagenous hump and possibly trim the caudal septum if needed. This would remove hump and de-project (make smaller) your nose. Temporalis Fascial Grafting, for what???? Sorry but that sounds left field, there is sooooo much material for grafting you can get inside the nose. But why would this even be necessary is beyond me, your plan should be to reduce, not add more?????!!!???? Be careful who you go to. You only have a couple of shots at this before the scaring sets in and then its over (i.e. Michel Jackson). Make sure you go to a facial plastic surgeon, first and for most!! Hope that helps. Dr. D
Please keep me informed on who you go with.
@Debbie63, I decided not to got with Dr. Motykie since he does not just specialize in noses. I have also heard mixed reviews on Dr. Chochran and Dr. Guntner.
I did read that Dr. Guntner is getting old and not so easy to work with. It's so hard to trust anyone after a failed first nose job. I plan to take my daughter for a consult with Profiles beverly hills, Dr. Litner & Dr. Solieman. I like that they do the surgeries together. Dr. Vladimir Grigoryants has incredible reviews too.
I have been searching for the best revision Dr. also for my daughter. Dr. Chochran and hes partner Dr. Guntner are highly recommended by other plastic surgeons. Motykie's pictures look great but he has some negative feedback.