Septorhinoplasty - Randwick, AU

It's been 7 weeks since my septorhinoplasty and...

It's been 7 weeks since my septorhinoplasty and its all healing nicely. I had a deviated septum which restricted airflow to my left nostril and I had a dorsal hump. Dr Ho performed a closed rhinoplasty which was a nice surprise as I expected I would need an open rhinoplasty from what I read on the internet. He corrected the deviated septum, removed the dorsal hump and using my own cartilage he put in spreader grafts which opened up my airways/nostrils internally.

My surgery was late in the day (I think around 4.30pm) and I woke up from the surgery around 9.30pm. Dr Ho checked in to see me straight after and he called my husband to let him know that everything went well and I was ok.

I checked out of hospital the next morning. I wasn't in any pain, just a congested nose. I had a black eye on my left side which faded and shrank down to a small mark, took about 5 weeks. I had a small bruise under my right eye but it faded away after a week. Makeup covered them up.

Dr Ho took off the cast on day 9. The congestion in my nose improved dramatically once the cast came off. My nose was noticeably swollen externally the next day. The swelling started to reduce from week 2 and just kept getting better. None of my friends could notice swelling by week 5. Only me and Dr Ho can see the residual swelling that we know will take up to a year to fully resolve.

So the post op recovery - I was really tired for the first 2 days post op so spent most of the time watching TV in bed. By day 3 I was bored so I got out of bed and started looking after the kids. My husband has been taking care of them. My husband was back at work on day 5 so I was looking after the kids full time. The only hard thing was to make sure I didn't bend down because the "rushing feeling" to my nose was uncomfortable for the first 4-5 days post op.

Any hits to the nose were painful for about 5-6 weeks.

I slept upright for 3 weeks. I put pillows and blankets under the top end of the mattress so I only needed to sleep with a neck pillow.

Things that made life easier were a neck pillow, lip balm, Biotene Mouth Spray (amazing stuff to stop the dry mouth), saline spray (Fess Sinu-cleanse which had nitrogen propellant - very gentle stuff). I took panadol/codeine for 2 days but I found that they weren't needed so I didn't finish them.

The dissolving stitches fell out around week 3-4.

Dr Ho's fee was $8,000 AUD and the anaesthetist was $2,400 AUD. After rebates, the total cost came in at just over $8,000 AUD and then I had my hospital excess. Dr Ho provided a full quote at my initial appointment so there were no surprises.

I read lots of stories on realself.com before I decided on getting rhinoplasty so I wanted to repay the favour by posting a review and my experience :)

I'll add some photos later.

Pre-surgery photos

Here are some pre-surgery photos to show the deviated septum and dorsal hump.

Post-surgery photos

I stayed home while I had the cast on - felt a bit self-conscious. But I was out at the shops the day after the cast came off. Who cares about a little bruising!

I think the tip of the nose looks much softer :) There is the tiniest of bumps just above the tip (at the end of the bridge) which I think is helping to stop the tip looking so sharp and giving nice definition between the tip and the start of the bridge. I hope it stays just as it is after the swelling has gone down. And the tip is straight- its not deviating off to the right anymore :)
Dr Ho said he would take down the dorsal hump and create an appealing line which I think he achieved perfectly.

I've been reading too many posts on Realself - I can see all the positives of having a nice looking nose. I went in hoping to breathe better and now I can't stop thinking about how much nicer my nose looks as well as how much better I can breathe!
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Dr Ho was a great listener. He understood what I wanted and explained the procedure in plain English. He was professional and caring and was always happy to answer my phone calls. His staff were great, they checked with my health fund and Medicare to see what rebates I was entitled to. They made sure everything was organised with the hospital. I am so happy with the results of the surgery. My breathing is perfect! And the bump on my nose is gone! Even though I didn't have any tip work, it looks better because the deviated septum is no longer pulling it to the side. Dr Ho has amazing skill.

Great result!
Looks really great. The change is amazing. Congrats and thanks for sharing your story!
Looks good! I also have a deviated septum and the same slightly crooked nose. Would love to see what the front looks like because I'm seriously considering getting cosmetic work along with the septoplasty. Your profile is a huge improvement to. Congrats!
Looks absolutely fantastic! Glad you can breathe now :)
Thanks :)
Good job! I think is much better now to breath... Good luck with your recovery!
Thanks :)