Made the Experience of Having Breast Cancer Tolerable - Pueblo, CO

This was my second go-round with breast cancer....

This was my second go-round with breast cancer. After my first diagnosis in 2002, I had a lumpectomy and radiation. It left a hideous scar, but I survived. I was diagnosed in 2010 with 2 different cancers in the other breast. I opted for a double mastectomy and reconstruction.

Dr. Merrin and his staff were professional and treated me with dignity. I'm not quite finished yet. I have my permanent implants and still need to get my nipples recreated, but so far, the results are fabulous. One of my implants was inserted through the old scar, and the hideous indentation is gone.

I'm not finished healing yet, but it looks better than it did after I healed from the firt bout with cancer. Not too much pain, and a farly easy recovery. I can't wait so see the final result. I highly recommend Dr. Merrin and his staff if you live in Southern Colorado.

Hi Victoria,

Having a good Labor Day holiday?

Thinking of you and your upcoming surgery (nipple reconstruction).

Sending good thoughts and wishes. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Beverly

Thank you for your kind words.I had a lumpectomy the first time in my L breast, which left an disfiguring scar, which I was willing to live with. My second cancer was in my right breast. Because I was small, a lumpectomy was not an option. Because this was my second time with cancer, I thought a double mastectomy would lower my chances of a reoccurrance. I already knew what it was like to be disfigured, so I opted for the reconstruction. My chances of a reoccurrance are very small (but still there, because they can't guarantee all breast tissue is removed). I don't feed disfigured, even though the nipple reconstruction is still a couple of months away. For me, most of the decision hinged on not wanting to have to deal with a reoccurrance. Each woman is different, and each woman should make her own decision. This was not what the surgeon recommended, but I thought about it and made my own choice, which I'm very happy with.

Hi Victoria,

It sounds like you put alot of thought into your decision. I applaud you for educating yourself and making a decision that was right for you. I agree, that it is very personal and no two situations are the same. You are steering your own life and that is a good thing.

Keep us posted on your upcoming surgery.

Stay well and in touch,

Beverly

Pueblo Plastic Surgeon

I work in health care administration (quality), so am very familiar with assessing office practices and proceedures. I've had plastic/reconstructive surgery twice, so I have doctors/practices to compare Dr. Merrin against. His practice employes competent, caring staff, from billing staff to surgical R.N's and BSN's, the office and surgery center are clean and inviting and it's in a residential area, so you can be "anonymous." The buliding blends in with the homes and there are no large signs to tell the world your're having work done. My experience with Dr. Merrin has made the experience of having breast cancer a second time somewhat tolerable. I see light at the end of the tunnel and after I lose a few pounds, I'm going to look pretty good in low cut clothes. Thank You, Dr. Merrin! (I wish I had photos to show. You don't think about that when you're dealing with a cancer diagnosis)