It Worked for Me - Portland, OR

I have to say right off the bat I am a big fan of...

I have to say right off the bat I am a big fan of acupuncture, so the idea of having needles stuck in my face is not the least bit daunting. I would guess that not everyone feels the same about acupuncture.

My first series -- I did the entire series of 12 treatments -- was pretty awesome. I did it a few years ago and have since tried a few other things (as you can see from my reviews) so I am not sure if the acupuncture was what held so well or if all of my other trials and errors have contributed to the upkeep.

Nevertheless, I went in for two treatments with my acupuncturist again a few months ago, and she is brilliant. I was able to see a noticeable difference on the line between my brows. I am considering going back for a second full series this winter.

For me, acupuncture seems to provide almost instant results (I started going years ago after a terrible bike accident) and to say that it also works with my body cosmetically is not an understatement. My acupuncturist is the most amazing person, and I also attribute my great results to her skills.

As a licensed acupuncturist who does facial rejuvenation, and has had it done to myself, I Am disappointed with medical doctors who don't care to really check out what acupuncture can do (or they would see that IT DOES WORK), and feel the need to slam us because of their lack of understanding HOW it works. It does NOT create edema to get rid of fine lines(WT>>>?). Anyone wishing to see before and after results from using the Mei Zen Cosmetic Acupuncture (one of the forms I use), can visit Dr. Martha Lucas' website, the developer of the Mei Zen style. It not only restores collagen and elastin, tightens muscles and skin, but has a side effect of improved health and wellness. It does NOT create permanent disfigurement, overstretched, shiny skin, 'deer in the headlights' look, or death - all of which could happen with 'plastic' surgery. Yes, there are many fantastic plastic surgeons out there who can restore many people who have been severely injured, etc., and I applaud you and your work. But, that does not give you the authority to denigrate our work because you feel threatened by what we do.

It is not a waste of money to move towards healthier ways. It is certainly much cheaper than surgery, and there is no time needed to 'heal' as that is what it is doing to begin with. It is healing the body using natural law. And, it leaves no 'telltale' scars. It does not fit in the same category as manicures and pedicures, as one doctor stated. I've noticed that all the negative statements against it are by medical doctors.

I DO recomment that those seeking acupuncture as a form of improving health that you check the credentials of the acupuncturist you choose. ASK if they have passed the NCCAOM - the National Certification Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine - the exam that acupuncturists have to pass in order to obtain their license from their state medical board. Just because your state may allow a medical doctor or chiropractor to use acupuncture in their work, does not mean they are trained to use it properly. A few hundred, or less, hours of study does not compare to several thousand hours of study that a licensed acupuncturist had to attend. Skilled acupuncturists KNOW what they are doing, and can obtain beautiful results. Keep it in perspective, decide what you desire and how you want to obtain that, keep your options open, and BeautifyNaturally. Aging is not something to be afraid of - do it gracefully. It's the only way to have old friends...Reveal your inner beauty.

I agree. Medical doctors who have no training in acupuncture and are only reading second-hand opinions on the subject from equally uninformed medical practitioners should refrain from making conclusory statements about its efficacy for purposes of cosmetic rejuvenation (or any other indication, for that matter). While acupuncturists may have an business interest in promoting their craft, plastic surgeons whose treatments are often far more dangerous and costly certainly have a business interest in discrediting the ancient practice of acupuncture.

I am presently living in Japan. Could you recommend an acupuncturist over here? Thank you.
Vickie Golab M.Ac.O.M., L.Ac.

Vickie only works part time at this time, so getting in for an appointment can sometimes be a bit of a challenge.