Key Is Realistic Expectations - Portland, OR

I'm a 57 year-old woman. I will never again look...

I'm a 57 year-old woman. I will never again look 35. I didn't necessarily want to look younger, just better. I approached the option of surgery with some specific problem areas in mind (saggy neck, double chin, under-eye bags) that I hoped could be improved with surgery. I would say that my expectations were fairly modest and my results were subtle yet definite. The change in my appearance has not changed my life. What has changed my life are the increased confidence and sense of empowerment that I gained. I just wish that cosmetic surgery wasn't perceived so negatively. Some relatives and friends acted as though I were doing something wrong or shameful, or that I didn't like myself enough as I was before the surgery. None of that is true, although I think many women are pretty confused when it comes to the link between appearance and identity. Just think of the surgery as a tool you can use to fix something that you want to fix and try to reject any moral implications. In my case, I decided to have several individual procedures at the same time in order to get the most bang for my buck. You must find yourself a surgeon that you trust and with whom you can communicate openly. Don't be afraid to ask "stupid' questions. It's important to feel confident and well-informed going in. The one thing that might have improved my overall experience would have been an opportunity to chat with a fellow patient who had the same procedure with the same doctor.

Seattle Plastic Surgeon

I really appreciated Dr. Sattler's easy sense of humor and willingness to acknowledge the anxiety I was feeling. He took the time to explain everything to me (some things more than once) until I felt comfortable with both the process and with his expertise. I don't plan to have another cosmetic procedure but if I should decide to at some point, I would not hesitate to go back to Dr. Sattler. I would recommend him to anyone considering a facelift or other cosmetic procedure - especially if you are a first-timer or are prone to anxiety.

Your advice on expectations are great -- it's so true that you can only turn back the clock so far. :) I'm glad your surgery went well, and thank you for sharing your story with us.