3 & 1/2 Weeks After Surgery - Portland, OR

My regular doctor suggested this in March, 2011....

My regular doctor suggested this in March, 2011. And now it is over - what a whirlwind! I was incredibly nervous although I have had many surgeries. But none of them were elective before this! I am 40, have been squeezing into a 38DDD (barely and painfully!!!) for years. I've always worn a shirt over a shirt to hide the fact that my bras did not fit and my breasts were so large. The surgery went well. I had no complications. I had all internal stitches and sterile tape over the top so nothing ever looked all that bad. (I was so scared to look!) I had surprisingly little pain. As soon as I left the hospital I only used Advil. Ice packs were an amazing help. I have had very little itching.

My breasts look incredible when I am standing in front of the mirror. I do not know what size I am yet but I did try on and buy a negligee unlike anything I've ever been able to wear before. The scars underneath are the most prominent and when I lie down you can see them (I checked by taking a pic with my phone!) but hopefully these will fade in time. The scars around my nipples and the line beneath my breasts are already faint - after 3 & 1/2 weeks! It has taken some getting used to. My mind is trying to catch up with my body and I keep reminding myself I don't have to "cover up" anymore.

A huge help was the book, "When Less is More" by Bethanne Snodgrass. She addresses psychological issues as well as physical. I referred to this book again and again. Just remember each doctor has their own way of doing things and you need to follow your doctor's instructions. I still can't quite believe it every day when I wake up: I am comfortable, no rashes, no neck pain, I can breathe, I can wear anything, etc.

Kaiser

I would love to talk to you through message, I also am consulting with Kaiser in Portland and would love to ask you some questions about your dr and such. My info class is in Oct.

Thank you for sharing your story with us here on RealSelf.

I am glad you are loving your results and adjusting.  It does take time to change your thinking and totally adjust to the new look.

There are many mental traumas that come with having large breasts.  I can tell you that it's the best thing I have ever done for myself.

It really does take a while to learn how to dress.  After being so self conscious for so many years you feel a bit naked wearing less.  Not having anything falling out and bouncing all around is such a good feeling.

I am very happy for you and look forward to reading your future posts.