Gastric Bypass at 19 - Pittsburgh, PA

I had Gastric Bypass at the age of 19, just over a...

I had Gastric Bypass at the age of 19, just over a year out of highschool. The day I went into surgery I weighed almost 350lbs. The smallest I have been since then has been 120lbs. I have gained some weight since then, going between 160-180lbs. Even with some of the complications I've had, I'll never regret having it. One thing I do wish is that the hospital I had gone to for the procedure would have been more helpful with support afterwards. Support groups, therapy...things of that nature. At that young of an age, going through that big of a change, it was very rough and I couldn't have done it without my mother. But even 5 years later, I still find myself dealing with some of the issues. But I know that I am healthier and I will live a healthier, longer life then I was going to live if I didn't have it done.
Dr. Ramanathan

I can't imagine how scary that was as a teenager. You look great and must be very proud that you have kept your weight in check because I hear after year 2 that's the hardest to do. I am just starting my journey and I look to successful people like yourself to keep me inspired to go forward. Thank you for sharing your story.
I'm so happy to hear that I helped inspire you and I'm very glad you are going to keep going forward. Best of luck to you! I'm sure you're going to be really successful
Did you have any issues with excess skin since you've lost so much weight? I'm due to have surgery in a few months. I'm 20 years old and wondering if my youth will do anything to help with skin elasticity.
Sorry I did not get back to you sooner....but yes I did. I was very fortunate that most of my excess skin is my arms, lower stomach and thighs. And I could have had a lot more. It's horrible but I really thought that I would magically have slimmer thighs and a flatter stomach but that's not reality. I DO have wonderful advice....swimming is probably one of the best exercises you can do. I unfortunately can't swim but I know of people who have exercised that way afterwards and it did wonders for them

Hi there, welcome!

Wow, you look awesome and you've done a great job at losing weihgt and maintaining it. It's a lifelong process and sometimes you may slip, but you get back on the horse!

We're here for you if you need to talk or just need a little support!

Thank you for posting. You are a brave girl. And you are right, there are no easy fixes, you have to have discipline every day anew!