Gastric Bypass at 19 - Pittsburgh, PA

I had Gastric Bypass at the age of 19, just over a...

I had Gastric Bypass at the age of 19, just over a year out of highschool. The day I went into surgery I weighed almost 350lbs. The smallest I have been since then has been 120lbs. I have gained some weight since then, going between 160-180lbs. Even with some of the complications I've had, I'll never regret having it. One thing I do wish is that the hospital I had gone to for the procedure would have been more helpful with support afterwards. Support groups, therapy...things of that nature. At that young of an age, going through that big of a change, it was very rough and I couldn't have done it without my mother. But even 5 years later, I still find myself dealing with some of the issues. But I know that I am healthier and I will live a healthier, longer life then I was going to live if I didn't have it done.
Dr. Ramanathan

Did you have any issues with excess skin since you've lost so much weight? I'm due to have surgery in a few months. I'm 20 years old and wondering if my youth will do anything to help with skin elasticity.

Hi there, welcome!

Wow, you look awesome and you've done a great job at losing weihgt and maintaining it. It's a lifelong process and sometimes you may slip, but you get back on the horse!

We're here for you if you need to talk or just need a little support!

Thank you for posting. You are a brave girl. And you are right, there are no easy fixes, you have to have discipline every day anew!