Do Not Get This Procedure! - Phoenix, AZ

I was told that if I took a Benadryl or Nyquil I...

I was told that if I took a Benadryl or Nyquil I would be able to fall asleep through the procedure. I decided to take 1 hydrocodone and 1 800 mg ibuprofen just in case and figured I could try to sleep. I did not have pain up until phase 3 out of 4 of the procedure. I could feel extreme shocks of pain. By phase 4 I was jumping in pain while trying to keep myself still for the procedure. I was clenching my hands so hard that I had nail marks for hours. The dentist gave me the option to stop but I thought if I could just bare the pain for another 10 minutes I'd be fine....big mistake.

The worst pain comes AFTER the procedure is completed. Imagine having the dentist do a root canal on all of your teeth with no anesthesia. I felt shocks of pain for 7 hours. I was sobbing and crying on my way home and luckily fiancee drove because I would never have been able to drive myself home. I got home and was still sobbing but was extremely drowsy from the medication I took prior to the procedure. I thought maybe I could go to sleep and wake up with no pain.

I would lay down and almost be sleeping when I would feel a sharp shock from my teeth down through my toes. I would start shaking and was sobbing as if I was in labor. I took another hydrocodone and 800 mg ibuprofen and finally fell asleep at 11pm. It hurt so incredibly bad. I woke up in pain at 2am and took another hydrocodone and 800 mg ibuprofen.

Here's the most important part for someone who is considering this-I can normally take 1/2 of a hydrocodone and sleep for 14 hours. I took 3 and only slept from 11 to 2 and from 2 to 6. And luckily I had that medication available from a previous procedure.

I've had a broken thumb, fractured ankle, hyperextended my knee, a fallen arch, 3 tattoos and a belly button piercing....the pain I experienced from ZOOM is a million times worse than all of those combined.

I had to call off of work because I can't even talk and my gums are swollen and bleeding. My gums are dark red and irritated and even cold air from outside makes my teeth throb. It has not even been 24 hours since I had the treatment done.

Do not put yourself in this pain, it is not worth it. Get the trays to bleach your teeth or get the Whitestrips.

I had great results from the ZOOM but I would rather not go through the pain and just get the O.K. results from the Whitestrips.

Southwest Dental Group

I don't think it's the doctor's fault, I truly believe it is the treatment that caused such discomfort.

Wow, it sounds like you had some pretty intense burning on your gums. Hopefully they healed up fast for you.

For anyone else who experiences burns from Zoom click here to see some suggestions from dentists on how to care for it.