Selphyl Under my Eyes! - Phoenix, AZ

Though I've been getting injections of filler all...

Though I've been getting injections of filler all over my face for about 5 years, I never put anything under the eye because of the risk of bruising and lumpiness due to the thin skin. I'm an aesthetician, and did some research on Selphyl and was intrigued by the stem cell/regenerative properties of the filler along with the fact that it was touted as being very safe for the under the eye area because its made with your own blood.

I had a problem with alot of darkness under my eyes (I'm 44) along with the beginnings of crepiness and a few wrinkles under the eye. It was time to do something, so I took the plunge and went in for the treatment.

My doctor put a facial numbing cream on me for about 40 min prior to the treatment. I will say that even with the numbing, there was still discomfort. I can normally tolerate injections without numbing, but in this case the doctor is injecting faily viscous material deep under your eyes...and it stings!!! Plus, as the filler starts to swell your tissue, there is a uncomfortable sensation of fullness pushing up against your eyes.

He injected the equivalent of 4 syringes of filler in my peri orbital area. Post treatment I looked like I had gotten into a bar fight - I put my sunglasses on before I even hit the lobby. That night and into the early hours of the next morning I swelled up even worse - my face looked weird, almost cat-like with the puffiness under my eyes into my upper cheeks. I was so swollen that my vision was even a little distorted. I'm not going to lie, it freaked me out.

Its been about 3 days since the procedure and my swelling is just starting to go down. I figure I have at least another 3 days before my face looks "normal" again. I've got some slight bruising but its the swelling that looks the worst. Docs office tells you 3 days of down time....prepare for at least twice that. And you can't touch your eyes, no make up, no washing the area, no exercise, no extreme temperature changes for the initial 3 days. If you're going to do it...have the time to be home alone where no one will see you, cuz it ain't pretty.

That being said, I think the results are going to be favorable. The idea with Selphyl seems to be that they "overfill" the area (sort of like fat grafting), hence the swelling...because alot of it is reabsorbed. There is an initial plumping effect expected, with the best results coming in 3 to 4 weeks as the regenerative process starts to work improving the skin from within.

I'll post updates...because I was very dissapointed prior to my procedure not to find sufficient on this forum about people's experiences.

Its now been a week since the treatment and all of...

Its now been a week since the treatment and all of the swelling is gone...and with it, the appearance of fullness in the treated area. Its a little dissapointing - my face now looks almost the same as it did pre-treatment..darkness under eyes has returned. Now the waiting game - dr says that it will take 3-4 weeks for the regenerative process to take place and for me to see fullness and improved skin tone in the treated areas. Hmmph. Stay tuned.

Well its now been about 3 weeks since my treatment...

Well its now been about 3 weeks since my treatment. There does appear to be some skin rejuvenation and some slight fullness that has returned under my eyes. The darkness seems a little dimished but overall any improvements are minimal at best. Doc said that results can continue to improve for up to 6 weeks post treatment, so maybe it will get better? He also told me that his wife had 2 treatments (3 mos apart) to get the best result.
In the mean time, I am going to start using my Palovia laser under my eyes at home to help the lines/crepiness and quality of skin under the eye and see if that makes a difference.

After using my Palovia laser to further improve...

After using my Palovia laser to further improve the skin under my eye, I noticed an indentation or line developing between my lower eye and upper cheek. It looked like I had slight bags under my eyes that were not there before. A visit to my PS and he indicated that the filler I had in my upper cheeks had migrated, causing the appearance of the indentation or slight hollowing under the eye.!!!! Not at all pleased with that. I am unsure whether this was cause by Selphyl, the Palovia laser or what - but something to watch out for.
Other than having to fix that problem, I have noticed in looking at past photos of me that my upper face does look better/younger than it did before. Its subtle, but there is a fullness and my face looks softer - so I am pleased that I had it done. I'm 44 and I got carded twice last week (once for vodka, and once for a lottery ticket!), and since I haven't been carded much in the last couple years, something must be working!!!

I had PRP done a week ago for under eye bags and creepiness, and NO results as yet. I am growing very disappointed. Spent $1000 on a this PRP treatment that my plastic surgeon highly recommended. My doctor said it would take 4 to 6 weeks for results and just informed me that I may need another treatment with a different filler. I am becoming skeptical because I was not told about future procedures needed. I feel like I wasted my money & time, what is your opinion?
I just had this procedure done earlier today. I am experiencing major swelling and was very freaked out at first. I feel much better after hearing about your experience as now I have a better idea of what to expect. Thanks so much for sharing this, put my mind at ease a bit!
Hi June, I had this treatment 4 days ago, swollen face on the first day, then bruises came out...& redness, dryness, flaking skin...all lovely (?!), my skin is so dry now...just wanted to know how you got on.
Apologies for the delay, just saw this now. I experienced more swelling than normal but no bruising, and the swelling disappeared after a week. I guess everybody reacts differently. It's been about a month and I can say that I see a noticeable difference in the texture of my skin. The area under my eyes is definitely more plump and soft, and slight volume restored. My doctor told me it takes 2 months to see the final result. I will likely go in to fill the remaining hollowness with HA filler, but the texture of my skin is much nicer and I am happy I went through with it.
thanks for your review, very helpful ;-)
Hey Kitters, I'd stay away from putting any type of laser around the delicate eye area. Anything that thins the top layer of skin (retin-a, chemical peel, laser) should without a doubt be avoided. Else you'll get advanced thinning. This is what happened to me when I used retin-a on my lower eyelids. I'm only 26 and started looking 10 years older! Just an fyi for the future. Thanks for the review!
The under eye area is tricky, but certain treatments.... Laser, microneedling for example can help build collagen in the skin .... Controlled "wounding" of the skin produces collagen and therefore would not cause a thinning of the skin but actually the opposite! Happily being a clinical aesthetician and laser tech I've gotten to play with all different modalities and see the end results. I'm not a big fan of peels on the skin in general but non ablative laser and microneedling are fantastic.
Oh, yes I forgot that you mentioned you are an aesthetician, so I trust what you say. What about retin-a? Did I permanently damage my under-eye skin? I'm 26 years old and two in-demand dermatologists told me that I could put retin-a there to get rid of milia. Dark hollows slowly followed. I've only used it about 3 times, but boy, is it potent. Any hope for me? Fillers are the last thing I'd want to do in that area as I'd like to wait until I'm at least 30 to take that risk.
very helpful fanks ;-)
I don't think Retin A would permanently damage your skin, though you really should't apply directly under the eye but keep application on the occular bone as it will migrate a bit up under the eye and treat the area. Milia should be addressed with better exfoliation which can be done other ways. Are you just dark under the eyes or do you actually have indentations or slight bags? There is a new filler - Belotero - which is thinner and lighter and made for tear trough injection, people have been pretty happy with getting it under the eyes. If that's not for you, you can always get a PRP blood serum topically applied and pushed in with microneedling which should help improve the appearance of the skin.
Has anyone found out more about Selphyl? Pros or Cons from having it done?
Thanks Kitters. That's too bad about it not lasting very long. I understood that Selphyl lasted longer than traditional fillers. What were you told?
You cannot be overfilled with Selphyl. There will be initial swelling (alot) because they overfill you on purpose because they know that it will all dissipate. Its blood, so it all gets reabsorbed into your body. The result is beautiful....but I wouldn't do it again becuase it caused the juvederm in my mid face to move (probably from the pressure from swelling) and it all went away after 3 months and my face went back to normal so not worth it. Its a shame...beautiful results that just don't last long enough.
Thanks for the great post. I've been researching this procedure and found the same issue-lack of info. So, you're posts are much appreciated. One of my concerns is over filling. I've been doing Juvederm under the eyes and was once overfilled. With Hylauronic acid overfill can be fixed but not so with Selphyl. How did you ensure you didn't get puffiness with the final result?

HI Kitters,

Well, that's no fun, you wait all this time for the swelling to go down and then it looks the same. I hope it changes in the next 3-4 weeks. What made you decide on Selphyl over other fillers? Please do keep us updated.

Thanks so much,