Dysport for Crows Feet Gave my Eye Bags - Phoenix, AZ

I had dysport for glabellar frown lines about 5...

I had dysport for glabellar frown lines about 5 weeks ago. After 3 weeks i was mostly satisfied with the look, my frown line gone, except for too much raising of eyebrows on the outer side. I returned to get a touch up on my forehead and the doctor said “don’t you want your crows feet done too?” I said no at first, and asked if I did would my expressions like smiling change. She said no, it would just soften those lines so I said ok. After a week I started noticing I had slight bags under my eyes and the area on my upper cheek bones felt strange. I called the Dr. who gave me the treatment and complained about puffiness under my eye, she said wait until 2 - 3 weeks for it to take full effect. Now after two weeks when i make any expression like smile or laugh I look terrible! When I smile have huge eye bags and look like a racoon, my eyes don’t smile anymore and my cheeks droop down on the sides below my eye. I’ve now read others who have experienced this side effect and it’s due to the person improperly injecting or injecting too much. I’m so upset and angry, I don’t know what to do. I have an appt. for a follow up next week when I return from a trip to show this woman what she has done to me. I think she was careless when she did my treatment and is basically incompetent! I plan to report her to the Naturopathic Physicians Medical Board in Arizona. Is there anything I can do to minimize this? have fillers put in the eye bag creases? take anything to reduce the effects? I’m so afraid this is permanent and won’t go away. I’m so embarrassed, I did this before a vacation to visit family I hadn’t seen in a year. I’ve spent the last week trying to hide my face when I smile or laugh because it looks so odd!

Dr. Jeffers, Suddenly Slimmer Spa

God no! She was careless and obviously doesn't have an understanding of facial muscles and their purpose. I think this provider and others out there are performing cookie cutter treatment and they should be studying each person's facial structure and determining what would be best before any treatment. I have high cheek bones and the dysport injections have frozen the muscle too much so there is nothing to hold up or tighten the skin under my eyes.

Yeah, my face is flat now and the skin is very loose still after several yrs.
I since have tried dysport and botox with a new doctor with great results, he injects a small amount of units under the eye and it works great. It definitely helps having a doctor who knows what he is doing, you will get better in a few weeks
I had dysport for the first time last week. I thought I was getting Botox. I had so much swelling at the bridge of my nose that it blocked my tear production and blurred my vision 3 days later. Terrible product!
Yep
I had Botox before, many times and I had not one single reaction. In january 27th 2012 I had Dysport. Three weeks later I woke up with my right cheek swelled. Two days after I had a severe swelling all over my face and my skin was red. I had an horrible appearance !!
I went to see a Doctor that prescribes me allegra and predisin for 7 days. After that a was a little better but still so swelled.
I’m in month 3 post injection and I’m still felling horrible. I have a terrible insomnia and muscles weakness.
I’ll never get Dysport again, it’s a dangerous drug. How long does it last????
Wow you really had a bad reaction, sorry. I know I will only get it for my crows feet and a little in my forehead and never again under the eye area. The bags did go away and the Dysport lasts about 3 months.
Yes, the smoothness lasts 3-4 months, and so have my daily headaches. NEVER AGAIN dysport.
The illness part is a couple months. The swelling several weeks maybe a month it has been a couple yrs now. The face "going back" not sure for you but only an improved version for me. My eyes are no longer tired and weepy with drainage. I has a cat scan on sinuses and they looked great but I was swollen and weepy in my eyes....I am hoping you will snap right back....:) You will look good again. Just different.
I read your comment and my bags under the eye from the dysport did go away . I do still use Dysport for my crows feet, forehead and the line between my brows . I have had no trouble in these areas, but I will not put it on my upper cheek for under eye lines again. You will go back to normal.
First, the dose I use for the glabella is 50 units for Dysport. Second, treat the crowsfeet requires an understanding of anatomy. If you inject under the, like may patients request (and I won't do), you can over relax the muscle.
I had dysport around my eyes, which I THOUGHT was going to fix my hollowness, after I was clearly mis informed by a nurse, and I was only 24... it had been 2 years and I have had bags and worse hallowing since. I had no wrinkles...so why the heck would the woman give me dysport...I needed a filler, now that I have done my research! The company up and closed their location after promising me they would compensate for the mistake, i have sent several emails with no response. DO NOT go to NU U Medspa! YIKES!
Yeah, sadly a couple bratty girls I was hanging out with were doing Dysport and they suggested I go to an event at this office (Fall sale) and so I purchased several units. Mind you my face was literally perfect. One slight line next to a corner of my eye and a slight line between my eyes. Slight couple lines on forehead. And one next to my mouth that had been there forever. She gave me (PREVENTIVE) injections..............she should have never agreed to inject a face with nothing to treat..........instead it caused all the things it was supposed to prevent :( Never went back to normal
Dumb ass. 24?
same thing happened to me I used Botox for crows feet I had eye bags and was black under eyes. I also looked tired. It took 3 months for me to look normal again, actually I looked great by third month, but not worth it because botox starts wearing off by then. I'm sorry to say you just have to wait it out and it will all go back to normal. If you are swollen under eye you could try Lymphatic drainage massage. It reduces the puffiness. It worked for me.
Oh No! The same thing happened to me. I had Dysport right after Thanksgiving and I look just awful. Everyone keeps telling me how tired I look. The circles under my eyes are so dark and my eyebrows drooped - which makes me look like a Neandrathal. I look like a total freak and avoid looking at people due to being so self-conscious. I was told there was nothing they could do to reverse it, as well. I just have to wait it out, I guess. Do either of you have any other advice on what to do since you last posted?
Hi Karen,

Well besides hiding behind glasses for a while I have been using Earth Therapeutics Hydrogel Under-Eye Recovery Patches, they are inexpensive and available at Ulta3 or online. Although they didn't help much with the bags they softened the skin and made lines less noticeable. I also splashed my face with ice water in the morning and used an arnica cooling gel. If you are prone to puffiness anyways in the mornings unfortunately it can be worse. Watch your sodium intake too as that makes you retain water and will excentuate the bags. Unfortunately you will have to wait it out, as I mentioned above I am at 13 weeks and almost back to normal. Hang in there!
No but you can try to have "micro current" treatment. Temporary but make you look better.
YES!!!! ICE your face it will improve the swelling immensely
The exact thing has happened to me. I am just so upset and feel like a fool. I'm walking around trying not to look at anyone. I'm supposed to be interviewing for jobs and I thought this would make me look refreshed, instead I look old, and haggaard. I had it done about 5 weeks ago and it seems to be getting worse. The dr said there is no reversal, just time, wait it out. My right side of my face looks like I have had a stroke and it it droops and I am depressed about it. Because of the bags, the skin under my eyes looks darker too. There is nothing that will lighten them withour making the bags look bigger. I have opted out of going to holiday parties because I feel that I look so freakish! I have tried everything..antihistamines, massage, compresses, going for facial accupuncture next. Spending more money just trying to look normal than this whole Dysport ordeal has cost. I've had Botox done there before and no problems. I will never use Dysport again, and i will find a new doctor too.

Hi London,

Welcome to the community and thanks for your comment. I'm so sorry this has happened to you especially when you are applying for jobs. Your experience would be able to help a number of our community members as a review. Do you think you would have a chance to write one? Please let me know if you have any questions or need help. Please keep us updated.

Thanks,

-Britt

Sorry to hear this London, I didn't see your comment here until today. I am now 13 weeks post treatment and I am almost back to normal, I can still feel a slight pull under my eyes due to the relaxed muscle. I used all kinds of under eye patches and creams, nothing helped the bags although the skin under my eyes is nicer and smoother than before! I'm afraid it is a waiting game though. I too had a period at about 4 - 6 weeks that it seemed worse but it does get better. I was more self conscious around people I knew than I was strangers, they had nothing to compare my face to! Try to smile, act like nothing is wrong and and be your normal self. It will get better.
phoenix-your comments helped me alot - I just had Dysport 3 weeks ago and I swear things seem to be getting worse - I am so mad that I look like I have not slept in 5 years - concelaer does nothing and I feel like I look 15 years older! How are you feeling / looking now??? I am comforted only by the fact that it is not permanent...but still really ticked that I have to wait several weeks to get rid of this new "look" I have going on!! UGH!
Hi Birmingham2, I am now 16 weeks post treatment and I am probably 95% back to normal, I still have a very slight pull under my eyes but it has gradually lessened over the last several weeks. I've had a history of botox lasting a good four months for me so I think the dysport has been similar. Yes, unfortunately you'll have to wait it out, not what you want to hear. Try some of the things I mentioned to Karen9053 below, they may help some. I may go back to Botox but only for my forehead, I'll never do anything around my eyes again! Hang in there.
thanks very much for the info-I agree....might try botox in the future but not around my eyes!!!!!!!! do you have any experience with fillers??
I only have done collagen way back when so no experience with the latest fillers out there.