When in Doubt, Run Out! - Phoenix, AZ

Like many of the ladies on this message board, I...

Like many of the ladies on this message board, I have always had large breasts. I thought that getting a reduction from a 38G to a large C/small D would make me happy and it hasn't. If anything it has caused MAJOR anxiety attacks and low points. It's not because my breasts aren't nice and pretty after the surgery because they are, or that my neck and back pain isnt gone because it has... it's because this decision was not the right choice for ME. And Although I could not stand my large, saggy, long boobs, or the neck and back pain, or the gawking from men they were MINE and a part of my life and I regret my decision to have this done everyday. It has caused a major disruption in my self esteem and mental well being. And don't get me wrong I researched the procedure and i consulted 2 different BOARD CERTIFIED DOCTORS, and i Bugged the hell out of people I knew had this procedure done, but i still feel this was not the right decision for me. Hell i even visited THIS SITE and YouTube NUMEROUS times for encouragement and got it, but still i feel my self esteem has suffered. So ladies if you do not have debilitating back pain that keeps you from hiking, walking, and shedding pounds, and you don't have rashes beneath your breasts, and if you have your health and sanity in tact then do not do this procedure. Just don't because it will save you a lot of heart ache in the end. Take it from me!

-God bless and I hope this helps someone straddling the fence come to their senses and OPT OUT of surgery!

Regretfully yours,
Mosharaffa

The doctor was kind and attentive for the most part. I should have backed out when I had the chance.

I don't have my surgery until Feb, do there's not too much I can say on the subject yet, but of this I am an expert: hormones!! I had my ovaries removed a couple of years ago, & once all the estrogen was gone, wham! I was depressed, eratic, all kinds of crazy stuff. I've heard breast reduction can send your hormones into a tailspin, so perhaps a mild antidepressant could get you through the hump. Best of luck to you.
Hi there, what I feel when I read your letters is the guilt you are feeling....you feel you have betrayed your body and for whatever reason that you have imposed this solution of BR....it is not like your breasts were not causing medical problems....if they werent, it was only a matter of time with such large breasts on such a small body....you were not proud of them....in fact you were quite ashamed of them.....this is something most of us go through, including myself. I felt at most times that my body was betraying me.....but this is not about me...it is about the guilt you are feeling....right now you may be feeling a little depressed as your body and mind and spirit adjusts to this new you.....BUT you have to "let it go".....the guilt, the feeling that you in some way betrayed a perfectly good body.......Honoring yourself works too ways....you can say, I could have lived with them and been miserable, or you could have taken charge of your body and said "I choose to be healthier and happier and OK with my body"......you made that decision to do something for YOU.....and it is OK.....Guilt is a terrible thing....maybe a little counselling would help....good luck to you.
I'm sorry you feel so negative about your decision and of course, as they say, hindsight is 20/20. With all due respect I feel your review would be so much more beneficial to others if you provided more details about why you feel the decision was the wrong one for you. You advise others against doing this procedure to save themselves heart ache in the end and you said you hope this helps someone straddling the fence to come to their sense and opt out of the surgery but without more details about *why* it's rather difficult to gain a truer perspective. Have you been sick? Did you have a difficult recovery? Was your surgeon and his staff uncaring/unpleasant/unkind? Is there an emotional struggle about having made a change to your God-given body? I'm not trying to pry and you certainly don't have to share more than you're comfortable with but additional details of your situation will perhaps provide a better context to your "warning". In that way you may be contributing in a greater way. Again, I'm sorry you're unhappy with your decision.
Hi Jenny, My issue is doing something so incredibly drastic and permament to a God-given body. My recovery has not been difficult and I've not been sick. I've even stated before that the new boobs are pretty and knowing myself one day I will love them, but there will always be that part of me that regrets this drastic unnatural decision. That's truly the bottom line. As I stated before I had the huge long granny boobs on my 27 year old body. I avoided pictures like the plague and any pictures I did take I had to crop and change on account of my not-so-fun bags, but surgery? As you've said hind sight is SURELY 20/20 and this post is for women who may feel like me in the sense that I researched everything, I obsessed on this website, asked millions of questions to women who have had it done, but in the back of your mind was still hesitant to alter your God given body. I want those women to run for the hills. And I'm an average size 10, had G boobs, and I got the looks fr people, couldn't wear a button up shirt without people looking at me like I was a stripper, but still it was MY body and those reasons are not worth the depression. This is a such a permanent solution.. It just wasn't worth it. So again any woman who is apprehensive even though they dreamed of the nice breasts like me, but there was still that "idk" lingering in your mind... Wait! Because reduction mammaplasty and plastic surgery will ALWAYS be around. Also, alot of these women, including myself could stand to lose a few pounds, but are choosing to get their "dream size" on a heavy body. What do u think will happen when you lose weight?? Those breasts will indeed shrink simply because most surgeons remove the nice dense glandular tissue not the fat and the FAT is what burns off during cardio. So if all your left with is fat and you don't have any other tissue those pretty perky D cups, or in my case double D cups will be down to a b or c in no time. Then the sad reality is alot of us breast reduction sisters opt for implants after that happens. It's ludicrous. Hind sight is 20/20 for sure, lol. Don't end up on the business end of never ending regret like me. If ur apprehensive or you want to lose all your weight, or you just have that doubt... Then don't. Plain and simple.
I also had the should grooves, the back aches and headaches, but still... Surgery? Increasing stamina via hiking,( which I love) the elliptical, and getting up off my my buns was slowly but surely building my stamina. And truth be told a lot of us ladies have back aches due to bad posture from trying for years to walk hunched over to hide our enormous measurements. I'm one of them who noticed that after surgery I "stood up straighter", well duh! It's because I was no longer "ashamed" of my breasts. So I hate to beat a dead horse and I know without a doubt this feeling will pass and I'll love my "new body" one day, my old one was not a defective model and maybe with a better fitting bra, a little prayer, and lots of cardio I could have learned to love this body of mine. But now I'll never know. This surgery was a very wrong move for ME. and if all women hear is the stories from women who "LOVED their new boobs immediately, and this just increased their life's quality" then they will never receive that objectivity. I am in that rare percentage of breast reduction patients who are disappointed in their decision. Not for aesthetic reasons but for personal reasons. Some may get my logic and feel just as I do, and others will not. Breast reduction is DRASTIC, and I can't stress it enough. When in doubt just stop yourself. And I'm a patient who did not get as drastic of a reduction as most. I'm still a double D on a size 10 body! My stomach is flat, my hips are proportionate to my breasts now, but again... Surgery??? Lol. I hope this helps someone.
RegretfullyYours27. Thank you for posting this! I agree with you! I feel breast reduction is a drastic. I thought I had "researched" everything as well. I didn't need to lose any weight OR fat (weight and fat are two different things), but I had size G breasts. I avoided breast reduction for decades. I just wanted skin excised and my breasts lifted to help my structure. My wish was to be a D at the smallest, but as you said, "most surgeons remove the nice dense glandular tissue..." I agree with that. The way I understand things now, (and most of all my experience in my body), is that it's NOT good. NOT healthy to remove healthy glands. And if I get around to writing my review, you will see that this is the very least of the problems that the board certified plastic surgeon caused for me. But surgeons also do remove fat in breast reduction, along with all of those good glands. And of course removing healthy fat would change a woman's hormones because fat regulates hormones. I now see the women who told me they were happy with breast reduction in a different light: those that I know personally were fat before surgery, and afterwards their fat came back to places other than their breasts. How could I not have seen that before? I just listened to them tell me that they were "happy" with the reduction. Not one of those women were in truly athletic bodies before or after. I don't mean any disrespect to anyone who had breast reduction and is thrilled with their decision, but if I personally had the chance to go back in time and NOT have ANY surgery, I would build a time machine and go. I did hike and run; I did weight training: I did also get skin tags under my breasts from all of the exercising with my large breasts. I had the shoulder grooves… If I had that time machine though, I would just keep dealing with the skin tags and shoulder grooves. I couldn't even find bras in my size 32 G, but if I had that time machine, I would have put my energy into working with a bra company to build a better bra in my size. I know a woman who just had breast reduction; she was the largest breasted woman I ever met. She was not fat. She sent me a private message and told me that she's really struggling very hard to adjust and to like her new body, but on public spaces it looks like she's so thrilled with the surgery. I personally mourn for my pre-surgery body, and my pre-surgery health.
Juliet_S: I'm so glad that someone else gets it! Everyone says they are happy after this is done and that is just not the case for everyone. Even the girl who recommended me to her surgeon said she even felt huge remorse after having the procedure done, BUT that was ONLY AFTER I had been so candid and expressed my regrets. I tell ya, if you get that time machine I'll happily hop in it with you. I'm 3 months post op and although the aesthetics of the procedure are fine I still struggle with the emotional aspect. my coworker just told me the other day that I would "get used to it." smh, but oh we'll what's done is done. I'm just glad we're able to get an objective honest opinion to any other woman struggling with the decision.
I totally get it, RegretfullyYours27, but when you see my review, (if I ever get it up), you will see that the surgeon destroyed my body and health so severely overall, that my situation is so far out of any sort of "norm". Regardless of that, with hindsight, I would not have had ANY surgery. Ever. I have heard from other women who feel that they look fine, post op, but don't feel good about the fact that their body was unnaturally changed. This is across the board with reconstructive and plastic surgery. I don't look fine on any level because the surgical expert fully destroyed my body, but looking back, the idea of having had one's nipples cut off and reattached, and having healthy glands removed, etc. seems too high a price. I completely understand why I did it: I felt I structurally needed the help, but much of my decision was based on the fact that there were not women like you speaking their truth in public. It's too late to help me, but again, thank you for expressing yourself.
Did your surgeon provide you with a medical compression bra or wrap you in ace bandages after your surgery?
I was wrapped in an ace bandage.
Not to pry, but what happened that destroyed your health?
It's a normal question. It's fine! I tentatively began a review and submitted it last week, but the site hasn't put it up yet. I’m going to try to write something up to post here to answer you, but the surgeon was so grossly negligent, it’s hard for me to summarize it - - especially in the pain I’m in. Pain isn't even the word for it - it's so much worse than what I formerly thought of as pain. My surgery was years ago. He demolished my body. Not using a surgical bra, ace wrap, or any compression on my breasts after breast reduction; getting my breast size 3 sizes wrong; and over-resecting my breasts are just a few of the smallest things this surgeon did to me. The negligence is truly remarkable.
I am so sorry to hear that! It must awful. I hope that there is a way to punish your surgeon. Maybe even obtain damages from this incident. Have you found a good malpractice attorney? I know you said it was 3 years ago so you may have already done this.
I submitted a review weeks ago, but I don't see it anywhere. I tried to resubmit a review with more information today, but at the end of the review it said, "Oops, you've already submitted a review for this procedure." Can someone help me? Why isn't the review showing? I need to update the review anyway. Thanks
I am so sorry you feel this way, especially since you experienced all the problems I had...has it been a long time since your surgery.. I have read that some people feel a little depressed after, it is quite an adjustment.....luckily for me, I feel so relieved to have that extra weight gone, I guess I felt matronly not sexy, and there is a difference......there's one thing I know, your breasts do not define who you are....noone can tell another person how they will feel, personally I think it has to do with how you felt about your breasts before the surgery.....I wonder if you really hated your breasts or they made you feel self-conscious .....maybe they didnt and they may be why you are feeling this way....hopefully you will learn to accept your body as I am sure it is beautiful just the way it is now.
Thank you Isaacs. I actually am praying and learning day by day to love my new breasts. When i look in the mirror i feel pretty because my new boobs are pretty and perky, but this decision was just not right for me. I now feel like surgery was a drastic choice for something that was not life threatening. And believe me, my old breasts were long, ugly, and matronly as well. They hung to my waist for goodness sake, Lol. I looked 3 sizes bigger than i am, and my back used to BURN! Buuuut something about this procedure was just not worth it for me being a 27 year old, average weight (size 10), healthy woman. There's no excuse for me doing this when strength training and therapy could have helped my neck and back pain. I'm sure this feeling will pass, but I really want to help someone else who is possibly on the fence and let them know it's ok to postpone and wait.