My 2 Year Old Knocked my Bridge out - Philadelphia, PA

So today my two year old knocked my bridge out...

So today my two year old knocked my bridge out with his head. I am missing the two lateral incisors and have a piece bridge. I went to the dentist this morning to find out he couldn't help me. I either need a new bridge or need to see a surgeon about dental implants. Either way I'll be toothless come Monday for work. I'm 28 now, when I was 16 I was told I wasn't a candidate for implants bc my root on the canine tooth is in the empty hole. My dentist suggested I see the surgeon with my X-rays since times have changed. I was never happy with the way this bridge was put in. I could see the metal thru my teeth, could see the metal on the sides. I was often asked if I ate something blue. It's almost as embarrassing as no teeth. I will be calling on Monday to see if I'm eligible and can afford the implants. I would like to get both teeth done if possible. I'll post pics and maybe someone can tell me what they think. I'm really nervous.
I'm afraid this is far beyond my experience.  You may consider asking the question to the doctors in the Q&A forum (this is a link to do that).  I'm very glad that you started a review, though, since I think you could help others, once you figure out what your options are!

I think it's a wonderful idea that you're calling the surgeon.  I wonder if doing orthodontics would be a way to move the roots that are in the way so that they can make room for implants.  Or maybe they can use mini implants--they're smaller than the implants used to be and there might be room for them.  But even if you just had to get another bridge, even that technology is better now--you wouldn't have to have the metal showing at all.

You will definitely be better off than before.  Prices are commensurate with what you get, though.  Please let us know how it went today!
Thanks for the link. I was looking for it but was having trouble navigating with my phone. Believe it or not my root ended up that way after years of braces. We pushed the two front teeth together and dragged the others back to make room for the bridge. I was prob around 16 by the time I got the braces off and my first bridge. Hopefully someone can help me. I know technology has changed, hopefully in my favor. I'm afraid my supporting bridge teeth will crack or can't withstand another grinding.

Day 4 of being tootless

I called several oral surgeons. No one can see me right away. The soonest appointment I have is April 23rd. As of right now I've been using fixodent to hold my bridge in during the work day. I've trying my best not to swallow that stuff. Man is it nasty. I've realized how thin my supporting bridge teeth are. I've only had two bridges done and my teeth are really ground down. I'm afraid if I get another bridge I'll be replacing the good teeth with crowns one day.
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

Oral surgeon #1

I had a consultation with an oral surgeon my dentist suggested. The consult didn't go very well I walked out just about in tears. After charging me 400$ for a scan to check bone density (they didn't make me aware of the price or I would have declined). Anyway, found out I wasn't eligible for the implants and the dr didn't think I was eligible for the minis. He suggested I get braces again, move the roots straight and come back. I made an appointment for orthodontist but couldn't be seen for a month. I forgot I had scheduled a second opinion appointment bc I couldn't be seen for over a month but they called bc they had a cancellation. I went to them on Monday even though I almost said no bc I didn't think they'd have anything new to say. The surgeon had done two of my friends implants. They did a X-ray that looked a lot better than the expensive one I paid for. The surgeon said that I had plenty of room for mini implants and showed me other people he's operated on in similar situations. I made an appointment to have the other side of my bridge removed today (Tuesday). Tomorrow I go have the surgery at 10am. I'm getting really nervous and anxious already. I'll update after surgery!
Thanks for the update, and good luck!!!!  That's so soon!!!!

And thank you for the pictures, too :D

Some pics

I figured id share some pics of before surgery.

Forgot the rest

Get the scan and go to someone else who specializes in implantology, preferably with MSD in their title. I posted before a link to a local dentist who does zirconia implants, but it's not allowed apparently. I am allowed to repost the name -- Clement A Guarlotti, just google

Day 1 after surgery

I had the surgery yesterday and everything went well. I did wake up several times during the surgery. Not sure why. I woke up with a bunch of needle marks on my hand and inside my elbow. I have a lot of bruising where they stuck me. I have been able to get away with just taking Motrin. I'm not in any pain and not swollen. I haven't been able to wear my flipper bc it digs right into the stitches. It's really embarrassing being toothless at my desk. I've tried to warn people but it doesn't help.
Congratulations on getting through the surgery!  My mom was in so much pain after getting implants.  Do you think that the mini-implants are less painful or you just had a good doctor? :D

BTW--one of the pics is broken, I think?  Please let me know if you'd like help fixing that.

Happy healing!
Do you have issues with the teeth on which the bridge was placed?