Goodbye jelly belly - Australia, AU

Hi I live in Western Australia, I am 44 and have...

Hi I live in Western Australia, I am 44 and have needed a TT since I was 17, when I had my first 9lb child (3 more after that). I'm finally having the umbilical hernia I have tolerated for so long repaired and some liposuction to the back of my hips as well as the TT. I'm so so so glad I found this website. Thank you to all who do and have contributed. Its times like this when I remember how good it is to be a woman and to feel the love and support of other women. It feels as though I'm about to sky dive but maybe not get to the ground for a year! Luckily I have that first child who is now a 27 yo nurse, to take care of me this week! How ironic. Ha ha.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!
Thankyou very much, its so good to know other people who understand and care. Two days to go!
You should be getting pretty close! Nervous?

I did it! 2 days Post Op

OMG I did it! The night before I was really excited not really able to sleep much. Feeling the anxious anticipation of about to do something that felt as scary as skydiving. I have been so lucky to have my amazing daughter, who is a nurse with me on this journey and looking after me now.

The evening before and the morning of surgery I was fairly scared and kept busy with making sure everything on my list was in my hospital bag. We arrived at the hospital and it all started happening fairly quickly. Soon I was waiting in pre op with a gown on and being processed for surgery, I wrote 'Low Sodium" on all of the meal sheets for my stay. After waiting there for one and a half hours, fiinally I was wheeled into the theatre area.

I had the lines drawn on me by the Dr. That's when it really registered to me that I was about to take the great leap of faith and surrender my emotional pain and pay the cost of a great deal of physical pain and recovery.

The next thing I knew I was waking up in recovery. I had a bit of a nausea reaction to the painkilling drugs and spent 2 hours in there getting things right. Dry vomiting was very painful in the internal stiches in the muscle layer around my navel. My temp was 34 so I had to be warmed with a special blanket which took a while.

I had a pain pump which gave me relief but was really suprised how little pain I was in compared to what I had expected. I Took laxative 2 days before surgery and ate easily digested food and no salt for those two days too. Having my tummy less full of food has helped I think. The painkillers instantly stop the bowel working.

Getting up to go to the toilet made me feel sick and each time I was dry vomiting or just water, holding a rolled up towel over my abdomen to brace. Oh that hurt quite a bit. We worked out I was reacting to opiod drugs so it wasn't too hard for me to stop taking them altogether. The pain of vomiting was way worse than the pain of the surgery. So I'm just taking panadol now every 6 hours and feeling ok. Its hard to believe I'm only on paracetemol on the 2nd day post op.
I have the strangest electric small nerve type of feeling on my right public area about an inch below the scar. Its like a tiny electric shock when I get up to move. I read other ladies stories who have said similar things, so not too worried. Again, really greatful that I found this site and all the tips and helpful info it contains. I borrowed one of those camping zero gravity chairs after seeing it recommended here and absolutely agree that it has helped immensely. So much easier to get up from sitting, its better on my back and really saves strain on the back of the person helping me up. Ours was a fathers day present to my father in law and cost only 89$ well worth investing in. It is keeping tension off my scar and the fluid that is present is not feeling heavy like it does when I walk or lean forward.

I'm finding it much easier to hold a pillow firmly to my abdomen when I walk, leaned over so as not to place strain on my scars. I have a bit of swelling but probably less than I would have had if I had not heeded the advice from others and haven't eaten salt. I wouldn't have even thought of that and no one else offered that info until I read it here.

Yes the compression garment is a bit irritating. I think it stops the gas trying to work its way around my tummy from getting to where it wants to, but it definitely feels worse without it. I bought two so that one can be washed while the other is worn.

I will post some before and after photo's soon when I have a few together.

Btw - excuse all typos but only realised it after posting it and I am typing on phone :)
Hi. I did get this sharp pains but if I recall it was a few weeks after surgery and was advised it was the nerves healing. If ever you are unsure the. You should call your ps and Surry he/she should be able to explain to you why this is happening. I hv my 10 month po mid feb. I am happy with results but not ecstatic as my sides cd do with bit more lipo on hip area (I think). I guess we always looking for more ways to look better. At least my tummy is flat .
Welcome to the flat side. Look forward to seeing your results . Happy Healing

Some photo's before and after

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

Healing begins I DID IT!!

3 day update

So I've added some photo's. The redness on the 1 day photo is a reaction to the sticky foam placed on my skin after surgery. I had experienced some vomiting and so had a small clot in my new bb which we cleaned and redressed. There is a bit of tape sticking out above my stitches which has become blood soaked. Not sure why this is there, there aren't any stitches underneath it. It has gone dark now.
I can feel the aching in my flanks a little where I had the lippo but not too bad. In the photo at 3 days my belly was quite swollen with fluid. Towards the end of the day it had gone down alot. Keeping onto elimination has helped the bloating and swelling to be at a minimum.

Woo hoo! Great job :). Excited for you. The one thing I remember VIVIDLY from my c-sec 25 years ago...throwing up after and the awful pain caused by that. Sorry you experienced a bit of the similar...no fun :(
Thankyou! I had a C section for my first child too. I always seem to react badly to drugs I should have known. It hurt more this time. Like a branding iron on the internal stitched when I sneezed. It's only happened once, I've been taking antihistamine since then to prevent sneezing. You sound like the excitement and anticipation are starting to set in, its a great feeling to know that you will be transformed isn't it. I hope you have a smooth trouble free experience. This is such a great site. I would be in a lot of pain if I hadn't found it.
Congrats! You did it & you are looking good! How are you feeling? I'm mostly scared of getting pain from being nauseous or having a cough. I also haven't figured out how I'll be sleeping after surgery . I don't have a recliner. I need to figure that out ASAP . Happy healing! Can't wait to see more pics:)

Had a night with very little sleep last night. My lower back is saying enough is enough! The swelling is less which is bringing out the aching feelings in my flanks and my lower back. All signs of healing which I am greatful for. What the? did I just say that. I keep trying to think positive and be greatful that things are not worse. Mostly I am greatful for my daughter who is paying me back for every bit of love and support I have ever given her. Well it feels like that. We started writing down all the meds I am taking including supplements on the first day home, which was a good thing since its really easy to forget what is due, what's been taken already and all the hours just melt into each other. The tingling nerve sensation is becoming duller and thankyou to everyone who reassured me that this is normal and will go away. It feels like 2 tiny guppies are swimming in my pubic area near the scar when I walk. I never thought I would say it but 'I love these granny undies' haha.

Thankyou, I am keeping the pillows there just as you said and wriggling my feet and legs often. There's pillows everywhere actually!
They consider it a day surgery here, so in and out the same day unless you've had difficulty coming out of the anesthetic. I never have a problem so should be ok. In the past I've kept a pen and paper with me to mark down what I've taken because you're right-it's difficult to keep track otherwise...also, keep alarms set to go off every two or four hours 24/7 to take the drugs. Never want to let that pain get ahead of you :) I thank you for the support from afar! It will all help, every bit no matter how far it comes from!

First post op check and dressing change

Today went well. Firstly I had my first serious hairwash and treatment as it was starting to turn into a ball of spinifex! Secondly I had my post op check and I was able to see my wounds and bruises and have the dressings changed.

There is still quite alot of swelling but I'm really happy with the appearance of my scar considering it's only 6 days old. There's lots of yellow bruising coming out here and there. My BB has a tiny bit of pink around it, so I've started a course of antibiotics just to be safe. Walking and driving today caused me to have a bit more swelling and I'm still feeling tighter than usual tonight. It made me aware that I shouldn't overdo things in these first few weeks, even though I am able to move alot faster and with less discomfort. I feel a bit scared of getting a seroma and am wondering what is the best way to avoid one.

I've learned to love the pressure garment. It's like putting the saddle on, you do finally accept it and I actually feel unprotected without it now. On my flanks where I had the lippo I have two tiny holes with a stitch in each. A couple of days ago I had the most insatiable itch under the tegadern dressings over those holes. I rang my pharmacist and asked him if it was ok to take phenergan with the anti inflammatories, he said yes. So I took some phenergan over the counter tablets and it stopped. The added bonus was that it made me drowsy and I had a great sleep. My lower back is still a bit full of fluid and I have a bit of aching, probably caused by stooped posture. I've been putting on a small amount of voltaren gel, careful to avoid the lippo holes and it seems to help. Still taking anti inflammatories, arnica, vitamins, hair skin and nails vitamins, Inner Health plus and paracetemol every 6 hours. Not much pain at all, my back hurts more than the front. One of the photos looks like I have jaundice! but it just turned out that way for some reason with the light in the room.

I drove the car for the first time again today and found it ok as my car is automatic but I was driving like a granny and got a few toots and horns from people in a hurry when I was going around corners and roundabouts really slowly! Don't people realise that if someone is driving slowly there could be a really good reason. haha, some people just can't handle losing that 2 seconds from their day.

I think my Dr did a fab job considering how much extra skin I had. Some of the stretch marks on my right side were nearly 2cm wide and 10 cm long. They are completely gone. I was wondering how on earth he could join that skin to the bottom skin because alot of that area was more stretched skin, which is a thin membrane really, than normal skin. Somehow he folded it all down and made it disappear!

I've been finding that the recliner chair is too hard now and I've set up my throne on the soft lounge now. I think once the major inflammation went down I can feel the bruisy feelings coming out in my lower back and the hardness of the chair was giving me a numb bum!. The couch is like a nice pressure mattress and I'm able to get up and down easier now so I'm preferring a softer place to rest. Hot tip of the day..If people bring flowers put them outside. I have only sneezed once, straight after my caring mother in law brought me some beautiful flowers and it hurt badly!

BB stitches out on day 12. Can anyone tell me much about putting a marble in your belly button and whether it works and if so when should it be done and for how long?

Fluid

I asked the nurse today 'how do you know you have a seroma' she said 'its hard, full of fluid and you'll know'. The swelling in one of the photo's looks like a 'ball' but its not hard and was more pronounced because I had walked a fair bit. Its not there now 9 hours later. That side has been more swollen from the beginning for some reason and the drain was in the other side. Only time will tell.

Thanks for the update :) Your incision is looking really nice! It's lovely and smooth. You sound quite upbeat, which I take as a great sign. Looking forward to more updates, best wishes for steady healing and continued happiness :)) You look Wonderful, congratulations !
Great to hear you're doing so well so quickly! I'm in hospital for five days - maybe because I'm having the BR as well as the TT. You've given me hope that I won't be laid up as long as I thought. Really well done on driving! And thanks for the tip on the recliner. I've hired one of those medical ones, but only for two weeks. Keep us posted on your daily improvement :-)
Thank you for the update. Glad to hear you are getting around!

1 week update

I took these pics this morning, they show the lippo bruising in a more natural light. I'm still swollen and wider from the side view than pre op and not quite able to stand up straight yet. For the first time since I was 17, I don't feel deformed. It feels unbelievably great not to have to accomodate my jelly belly in every day life or constantly push my hernia back in its place. You know I showed my husband my before shot today. Can you believe I had never let him see my naked front in bright light. We have been together 5 years. We are all so lucky to have the means and the support to heal in this way, both emotionally and physically. He said such a nice thing to me..."I thought I had married a porsche but now I have a Ferrari!" haha it made me feel great.

Hello yay I read your story I'm stocked to find out that your op was only 4 days before mine. So now I can check in with you and see where I'm going to be
You look wonderful. Good luck with the rest of ur recovery
Thanks darl so will you soon and I look forward to saying the same thing to you. Do you know how long your hospital stay will be? I was home the next day so didn't take too much to hospital just a few pairs of bridget jones undies and face moisturiser, lip moisturiser, hair ties, my 2 compression garments which was lucky as the first one got blood on it when my BB oozed after surgery, a nice soft nightie and my old faithful cotton top I wear when I have sunburn, as well as a maxi dress to wear home in the car. If you're staying longer you might want to take more toiletries. I was in no state to read a magazine. Its a good idea to cut your nails short before surgery, it helps not scratch yourself when you're always doing and undoing the bottom of the garment and wriggling around with it to get it right and it helps keep germs on your hands to a minimum. Its good to get your driver to bring some pillows in the car when they pick you up, to brace and position yourself for the trip.

Getting out of the house

Gee it felt good to get out of my loungeroom today and yesterday. We hired a wheelchair from pharmacy 777 for 10 and my husband and daughter pushed me around the shopping centre. It was both funny and enlightening. Today I went for a kebab at Scarborough and walked just from the kerb to the shop slightly hunched over and holding my tummy alot of people thought I was in labour stopping off for a quick kebab on the way to the hospital.. haha as I was in a long maxi dress.

I forgot to add that I was wrong in assuming there were no stitches under the vertical tape in the middle of my incision. I have a very short torso and had a huge amount of lateral stretching which made my surgery a bit of a challenge. The doc explained that when there is a risk of the tension being too tight and therefore wound breakdown that's the best option. The stitches are really fine like facial surgery and I'm still wrapped with my result. I'm confident that it won't be visible in time as the skin is well healed together and the wound so fine. Can't possibly be worse than what I've endured all these years.

Glad to hear your doing great! Happy healing!! :)
Wowee, wowee! You look so good!!
Thankyou I just read your whole story and it was fantastic! So informative and realy encouraging. x

Yaye a shower and 12 day photos

Aaah I had a shower finally, it felt so good. Still have a bit of swelling especially on my left side which didn't have a drain it it. The swelling is pulling my BB a little to the left and making it look off centre. I'm having a bit of stress hoping it won't stay that way but I'll deal with that if and when it happens. The vertical stitches are already almost invisible and I'm amazed how fine my incision looks. Looking at how fine the horozontal scar has turned out already, I'm glad now that my surgeon chose to give me the few vertical stitches rather than place too much tension on the horizontal ones. The incision stitches are supposed to dissolve and I get the BB and lipo stitches out today. I will feel more confident to stand up straighter after that.

I'm definitely moving better and feeling much less pain in the internal stitches. I laid on my side for a few hours last night propped up with pillows but it felt soooo good. I can actually bear down very gently now which makes passing wind so much easier! haha. Trying to fart with a compression garment on is a challenging thing indeed when one can't even assist with bearing down. I had to get really creative!!

My back and flanks still have a bit of aching pain in them and I'm only taking paracetemol at night before I go to sleep as I find by the end of the day the pain is a little worse. Still taking an antihistamine each morning as a sneeze preventer as its hayfever season and I usually get a few bouts. It seems to have worked. Each time I do too much I get more swelling at the end of the day and have a horrible time trying to get to sleep, so I am accepting that the longer I rest the better I feel at night. Its really hard to accept help with things I know I can do, but when you add up all the little things that you can do and put them into to one day it equals a day of doing too much. Its like an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. The feeling of being bloated and tight in the evening is horrible.

Scar looks great!!
Just found your story. You look awesome already!
You're looking awesome! Hurray! Thanks for the great reviews! :)

Pics day 15

Though I would take some standing up pics today. I can't stand fully straight yet, the internal muscle repair stitches still feel too tight near the top of my rib cage so I have to bend my knees slightly to get my head out of the shot. Still have quite a bit more swelling on one side which is my right but the left side in the pics. Bruising is slowlly going down. I'm not massaging my scar yet as my ps said to wait until 3 weeks. I had just taken my tape off in the shower in these pics and applied a new one after, but I can have dressings completely off in 3 days. BB still looks off centre because of the swelling being more on one side. If I put my fingers on my hip bones it is right in the middle of them so I don't feel stressed anymore that it is off centre. I'm just way more swollen from the lipo on one side.

I'm not taking pain relief anymore and able to stretch in places I couldn't which feels great. I've been doing the stretching exercises Kimmer suggests and getting more upright. Still have no lumbar back definition from the swelling and not being able to stand straight. I'm looking forward to being able to rotate my spine more as the muscles there feel like they haven't stretched in so long!

You look great! The bruising looks like it's healing really well.
Thanks, have a look a MamaQ below for an example of beautiful scar healing. I'm going to order one of those silicone strips on the net, they don't seem to be the done thing here in Australia but I think there must be some good in them as so many people here seem to swear by them as well as the bit of silicone for the belly button to heal nice and round. Her surgeon told her to use the silicone plugs that people put in their ears. Her healing is incredible!
So does yours! Thanks.

Dont laugh too hard

Looking fabulous!
Wowza! Ur looking great! Ur scar looks really good! Happy healing!
Looking gr8:-)

The Penny Dropped Today

I just had one of those moments where reality really hit me. I'm not in pain any more and today is the first day I don't have to take any medication at all. The pressure of healing has lessened and I can do everything I used to be able to, for myself. I could even fight off a boogey-man if I had too.!! haha I've been alone all day for the first time since the day before surgery and I think that''s why it has hit me.

I realized that I had changed my appearance for the rest of my life. Its gone, the thing that did my head in. The thing that no matter what I did or how hard I worked would only ever go away by having a very expensive, life threatening operation. I didn't die, I lived through the pain, Its going to heal nicely and I'm going to enjoy this new-found freedom that so many others take for granted.I just realized a life long dream.......

People say I wish I could be born again knowing everything I already know. Well that's how I feel today. Is it worth it? You betcha!!

Thankhyou, you gorgeous Mum so are you!!
I'm always thinking of you and reading your page, thankyou.
Thankyou, I was born in Scotland and came to Australia when I was 4, so I get a kick when I read some of your lingo. I love it. My Gran used to call me her wee lamb.

This is me

Ur looking beautiful in ur new picture.i also enjoyed your Reviews also.
I really enjoyed your review, I agree and relate to everything you've said. I'm 7 days PO and looking forward to catching up to you.
I had this procedure with Tim cooper September last yr and will never look back he is fantastic it was a pleasure to have him operate on me. if it feels like the swelling will never end .....don't worry it will but it can take up to 12 months. Mornings are always great but by evening the balloon effect takes place this is normal.

Sodium test

Hello Thought I might share the results of my sodium test. I ate some Haloumi cheese which is like feta but with less salt 2 days ago (20 days post op) , not much but it was sooo good. That night and the next day I definitely had more fluid in my tummy skin. No doubt about it, it really does make a difference. So its back to no sodium for me. Anyone else had a similar experience?

Yes i def know about the sodium in food. Went to eat chinese food the other day and i felt so fat and bloated afterwards. I drank so much water and didnt feel better until the next day!
You look fabulous, and I'm so glad for you that your Doctor was so gentle and caring during the op, that makes such a difference! He's clearly very skilled too from what I can see just looking at your pictures and your fabulous results. I loved reading your review, as it's so detailed and very thorough; I haven't finished all the comments below, yet -- I am taking my time over those, as there is a wealth of information in there, which will prove invaluable if I finally choose to go the TT route. Seriously when I double-checked your age which you mentioned at the start of your review, I nearly fell of my chair. I'm so impressed, you are looking 15 years younger, if not more. Also, to have such natural looking results at just 2 weeks post-op, is amazing, you must have great very resilient skin as it hardly even looks like you've had an operation at all. You have great skin tone and your figure is so perfect, I would honestly think it was a 20 year old in those pics! I kid you not. You must be so looking forward to starting your new life with your enviable new figure - and just in time for Christmas too - this year you can enjoy the holiday period with an extra reason to celebrate ! Oh by the way, you were discussing about the sodium business - In my case, although I didn't have a TT but had vaser lipo to 4 areas including lower & upper abdomen, I could not get away with a single GRAIN of salt without my stomach expanding x 3 it's normal size. I experimented with a few things that were not especially high sodium and every SINGLE time I'd blow up like a balloon. In the end I just kept away from it altogether even though I did get cravings sometimes - but yeah, salt was my totally my dreaded enemy for the whole time after my op cos I was so desperate I wanted all swelling to be gone ASAP, and to finally see this flat stomach my Dr. had promised me (....and which NEVER materialised unfortunately). I wish you the very best during the rest of your recovery and while you will continue making fantastic progress. Will PM you back asap! Take care x x x
Not sure who Kimmer is but would like to know more about the stretching I'm not standing quite straight and 6 days post op and have to be to work 10 day post op so if it's not to soon to do the stretching I Would like to start TY.

Day 23 Pics

Hello ladies I'm still mostly resting at home, in total awe of all of you out there doing this with children to look after too and husbands needs to negotiate. You are all amazing wonder women. My hubby works away at the moment so he is four weeks away and one week home.

I took some pics of my incision today, I'm starting to get grossed out by all the overgrowth of pubic hair but not brave enough to risk doing anything with it until I know for sure that I have no probs with the incision. Started massage two days ago with silicone cream and rosehip oil which is what my ps suggested. The bruising on my front is taking a long time to go down, just trying to be patient about it! Its definitely true that you look worse before you look better.

My bowels are working by themselves now, thank goodness no more suppositories. So far anyway. I'm taking Inner Health Plus and vitamins, arnica but no pain meds. Still not quite standing straight. It seems worse in the morning and then after a bit of walking around the house, my abs feel less tight. I'm able to lift small things like the kettle alot easier and gave myself the best makeover in weeks. It felt great. Still have a fair bit of swelling in the front at different times and at the back where I had lipo. If I've been upright alot the incision looks pink like in the photos but much paler when I've rested.

I do get little tingling sensations in my incision sometimes which someone else mentioned also. Also other strange feelings in all sorts of places little sharp pains that come and go near my bb. You can see how the side of my waist that takes the zip and how it buckles, of the cg is a different shape to the other that has the smooth side. I fell asleep 2 nights ago with it off accidentally and woke up looking much more symmetrical. Even my bb looked better. It made me realise that you really don't see results properly until the time everything settles into its place without the CG. Some pics were taken in the mirror so a bit blurry..

Happy thanksgiving to all my US TT sisters!

Hello, you! I hope your day is going well? Are you back at work now? Hopefully not, but each woman has different financial arrangements for post op time off, so I was wondering. I wanted to Thank you so much for checking in on me in the early days post op. you were/are such a comfort to me, even though you're on the other side of the world. You are very appreciated, by myself and others on this site. Thank you for your amazing compassion and empathy :)
Thanks Snowfly, I can tell that you are one of those amazing women who just DO IT! and that this surgery isn't the first time you just did it! But having said that I can only imagine the mental strength it took to get through those first few days and the night you had to go outside.. I've been seeing the wild weather that you's are having over there on the news too, while I'm sitting here in a singlet and CG with the air conditioner on! I'm back at work next week so trying to get things in order before then. I feel really lucky to have had 4 weeks off. The skin has attached really well to the underlying muscle now so not much swelling any more but we'll see after 8 hrs at work how that is. So glad you're doing well. xx
Your incision is healing really well... Great results!!!

One month tomorrow

Hello sister sufferers and celebrators! I can't believe its been one month. Its like I've been in a strange time warp. I dismantled my 'throne' in the lounge room with all my needs set up around it, so that must be the turning point of life beginning to return to normal.

I can feel that the skin on my abdomen is firmly attached to the underlying muscle now and I'm not swelling much at all. So I tried doing a house clean today. Started with dusting then got the vacuum out. The tiled areas were easy but my abs weren't quite up to doing it as quickly as I used to, when it came to the carpets. I think I've lost a little bit of fitness and muscle tone from doing nothing but heal for a month. I could feel my back muscles aching a little after the vacuuming.

Tomorrow I'm having a 2 hr lymphatic massage. Can't wait. I can still notice the fluid accumulated in my upper thighs and buttocks, so I'm hoping this will clear it a bit. I've been massaging my incisions and finding that the day goes quickly sometimes and I've only done it once. So I'm going to have to figure out a way to incorporate it into my routine otherwise it doesn't get done until I have a shower.

I've been seeing all the cold and crazy weather in the US and am thinking of you all trying to keep warm and recover at the same time. If its any consolation, think of me having to return to work in my CG in the humidity and heat we are having here!

Hope you are all healing well and looking at your lovely Christmas trees and RIP Nelson Mandela.

RIP Nelson.:( Sad day. Vaccuming eh?? I am nervous to try!! Whats the weather like there right now? My husband and I would love to visit there someday. we have seen so many beautiful pictures! I live in Idaho, USA and it is so freaking cold right now! Bitter, dry cold. I wish it would snow. Its between 6 and 25 degrees. BRRR. I have the thermostat set to 70 and still have 3 shirts on!!
Hugs back to u.. :-). Looking good in ur pictures your scar is healing very nice and thin. Are you using those silicon pads just wonder. I go on monday get my drains out and the stitches out I hope.
I'm using silicone gel/cream and rosehip oil for massage from 3 weeks, that's how long my Dr said to wait but its basically when you have no more open wound. The Dr's say not to use the sheets until there are no open areas of wound. Its going to be expensive for you as you have a larger area of wound to treat but it will be worth it I'm sure. I'm going to buy some silicone sheets today and a silicone earplug that swimmers use to put in my bb. A lady on here called MamaQ used the earplug, her ps suggested it. Check out her review pics they are great. She left a message on my review a few weeks ago if you can't find her. Her healing and scars are phenomenal and her bb is nice and round. I've seen other ladies here use a marble and theirs is really nice and round. Mine is a bit ugly and odd shaped so I'm going to try the earplug. The sooner the drains are out the better you heal. Hope you are finding time and a spot to rest. They should invent a special hanging swing for ladies who want to sleep standing up!

1 month pics

Getting there. Bruising is taking ages to go away. I had just massaged with silicone so a bit shiny.

You look amazing! Love the belly button! You were so tiny already. I'm surprised how long the bruising has lasted as well. Looks worse than it feels I believe.
Thankyou, yeah its almost completely gone now. I think I had bruising at the front because I had the T incision he pulled skin from the sides towards the middle and the bruising that ended up in the front was where my hip bones were drilled into the table during the flank lipo. It did feel a tiny bit tender there but not much, probably because of the numbness. The bruising at the sides went away normally but on the new joined skin the drainage is probably slower.
You are looking so good!

A little inspiration

I thought I might share this inspiring bit of writing I found a few years ago as I really think alot of it applies to us women who face the fear of transformation of our bodies and sums up what we are all doing for each other on this site...I don't know who originally wrote it.

I doesn't interest me what you do for a living. I want to know what you ache for and if you dare to dream of meeting your hearts longing. It doesn't interest me in how old you are. I want to know if you will risk looking like a fool for love, for your dreams, for the adventure of being alive. It doesn't interest me what planets are squaring your moon. I want to know if you have touched the centre of your sorrow, if you have been opened by life's betrayals, or have become shriveled and closed from fear of further pain. I want to know if you can sit with pain, yours or another's, without moving to hide it, fade it or fix it. I want to know if you can be with joy, your own or another's - if you can dance with wilderness and let the ecstasy fill you to the tips of your fingers and toes without cautioning yourself to be careful, realistic or to remember the limitations of being human. It doesn't interest me if the story you are telling me is true. I want to know if you can disappoint another to be true to yourself. If you can bear the accusatoin of betrayal and not betray your own soul. I want to know if you can be loyal and therefore trustworthy. I want to know if you can see beauty,even when it is not pretty every day and if you can source your life from its presence. I want to know if you can live with failure, yours or mine and still stand on the edge of a lake and shout to the silver of the full moon "Yes!!" It doesn't interest me to know where you live or how much money you have. I want to know if you can get up after the night of grief and despair, weary and bruised to the bone and do what needs to be done for the children. It doesn't interest me who you are, or how you came to be here. I want to know if you can stand in the centre of the fire of life and not shrink back. It doesn't interest me where or what or with who you have studied. I want to know what sustains you from the inside when all else falls away. I want to know if you can be alone with yourself and if you like the company you keep in empty moments and if you truly love the company you keep in empty moments....

Hiya! Just stopping by to see how work is going? I'm finding its getting better for me as my week progresses, much to my excitement! Mind you,I'm bundled up for the cold over here, lol. Might not be so much fun if I was dripping sweat in all my compression get up. I'm feeling for you, for sure! Went back and read your last post again, I loved that piece of writing so much. Hope you're keeping well :)
Hello :-) Thanks for checking in on me. I'm going good, I've found returning to work harder than I thought it would be though. By the end of the day my pubic area is quite tender where the stitches are and I get lots of sharp shooting pains there. Oh I wish I was rugging up for the cold atm! I read that a few ladies couldn't go to their follow up appts due to the bad weather. That's a little scary! That's great you are finding it easier, after reading your post about sitting in the car to gather yourself after your shift I could really relate to that feeling. By the third day back I came home and was too tired and sore to even make dinner for myself. I haven't updated as my husband is home and will be gone on the 23rd again, so spending as much time with him as possible and I'll write an update with pics after that. Don't know if its the heat, my age or what, but I feel like a princess when I read how well other ladies are doing and some have kids to look after as well. If I had children with me right now they would eating vegemite sandwiches for dinner! haha
I was wondering why I only saw you write comments, lol you were here hiding on the TT board! You have an amazing result!!!

Finally found a Camera!

Hello again. Finally I found an old phone so that I could update some pics. I've returned to work and was shocked at how much strength and stamina I had lost in a short time. The first day I thought 'that wasn't too bad', second I came straight home and fell asleep without eating, by the end of the third I was really glad it was Friday. My pubic area was more swollen than it had been in the early part of recovery and was tender in the lower ab stitches at the end of each day. My speed with everything is slower and I am achieving much less in a day than I did pre op, which frustrates me at times! I bought Christmas gift vouchers for everyone, except my 1yo grandaughter, and don't feel guilty! Well.... I do, but if I tell myself that for long enough I might believe it!

I went for a night with hubby to a place that had a pool and spa and one in the room too. We had a go at 'throwing the leg' and I tried not to have too many expectations as I still feel slightly invalid and tender so wasn't going to be swinging from the chandelier that's for sure! Even though he has seen a few pics I emailed, he hadn't really seen me for 4 weeks and I did a little head case number about my scar grosing him out, only in my own head. Plus I felt a little on guard with my muscle repair stitches whenever I moved and whenever his hands went near them. All in all it was good baby steps. I stayed on top and in control of where I was moving. There is no way I was going to let Bam Bam my darling get on top of me! lol he is 6'4" and 120 kg of muscle that doesn't know his own strength.

I'm getting the usual swelling that's worse by the end of the day and great in the morning. The bruising is almost gone, there is just a shade of pale grey there now that I can notice but you might not from the pics. My bb is healing well but still quite pink at times and I can feel the hardness closest to the joins in the skin and the swelling around it comes and goes with the rest of swelling. I'm massaging it and putting a silicone earplug in it about every second day when I don't have to sweat!! Its been so hot here, winge winge winge!

I bought a bikini and wore it for the first time since I was 16! I get these moments when I'm having a mirror attack. Its like I can't believe that's me even though I know it is of course. It hasn't fully sunk in I think. Maybe that sounds ridiculous to some but its weird in a great way. Its like having to get to know yourself again

The spa didn't hurt me, the jets felt really, really good on my back flanks where I had lipo. I took some bleach and filled the spa with water then ran bleach through the lines as I was paranoid it had germs in it! I'm not usually OCD like that btw haha, but I could relax more once I had done that. There was one outside too and I was able to move slowly in it without any pain.

There are a few spots on my incision that are turning white already, it looks really pink if I've been on my feet a long time and pale when I've rested. Same with bb. Near the join in the T there is a tiny end of a stitch poking through that I can feel like a little cactus hair you can't pull out. It had been there since the beginning and has gone in deeper. You can see thr spot on the incision isn't fully fused around it. I'm just keeping an eye on it for the day my body has had enough of it and it either spits out or dissolves. I'm not putting the silicone sheet on that part. I put two pieces on that meet in the middle and I've been keeping the silicone off that part.

I loved fitandflat's last post about keeping her perspective on her body image. I've been having the same inner struggle at times, to not start focusing mow on my other less than ideal body parts. Its like before I felt, 'if I could only have a tt, I would feel so great!' and now I'm tempted to go down the track of turning my selfconsciousness onto another part. NO no no no no!! Yes yes yes yes yes! I would love to fix my clapped out breasts and I would just be happy to have a butt lift and then I would be content...or would I...... I could save lots of mountain gorillas with all that money.....I don't know the answers yet but I sure would never criticize someone for choosing to change their body , regardless of the cost.

I had a funny thought the other day. That the pain and recovery from a TT is like a long drawn out childbirth reverse! Just like childbirth its soon forgotten and changes your life forever. BUT... great thing about a TT is that you never have to teach it to drive!!lol..

Go well sisters, we already have all our Christmas's come at once this year! But Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. xx

More pics

You look great. .did it take a full 6wks for your swelling to go away?
Hello!, the major swelling went down within the first 2-3 weeks, then just lower tummy swelling between the bb and incision for the next 3. When I was more active, like going back to work, doing more each day at home, I found I swelled up a little especially near the end of the day but mainly in that same lower area again I get a little more swelling just before and during my period too. What I didn't factor in, was how much the surgery would zap my fitness and energy level after recovering for a month. I am quite fit too. I had another read of your review and since you have asked, I honestly I think you will get the best result with a TT. Its a longer road but so worth the effort. Good luck with your decisions ahead. x
Thank you. I did manage to do the TT. I did it dec 18th. Im just hoping for good results now. Are you working out if so how long after TT did u start

Almost 2 months

Hello to all my TT sisters. Not much to report but I thought I would tell you that I went out for dinner with the family whilst hubby was home and there was a belly dancer who came through the restaurant to entertain everyone. It was good clean family fun BUT geez it looked good and I think I really need one of those costumes! What a great way to get low impact core exercises too. So I'm going to find a belly dancing class. Watch this space! lol

You are looking incredible!!!!! I'm an Aussie mum of 4 too, from Adelaide :) I'm having my TT in April. Belly dancing sounds like so much fun! I do Zumba & love my hour to myself to get sweaty & shake it a bit, hehe! You'll have to share a pic of your gorgeous new tummy in your belly dancing clothes
Thankyou mumof4, I had a read of your review, you are doing all the right things for a beautiful result. I'm really hearing alot about Zumba lately so many women do it and love it. I love dancing too and it must burn alot of calories. Have you seen the review of sheeney7. If not have a look at her results. I learned alot from her in the beginning before my surgery and now that I've had it I really believe she managed her recovery well. She lost quite alot of weight before surgery and is a young Mum. Her results are INCREDIBLE! Best wishes for your TT in April. I will post some pics eventually when I graduate to a costume.
Your looking great!!! You can always do Zumba. I have done a few classes now and the pro's get a belly dancer chimes. Its one heck of a work out too! :)

3 Months

Hello, long time no write!! This is the first time I've been on RS for quite a while. I was finding myself becoming too focused on my appearance and needed to pull away for a while. I've always had a tough time loving my body after being deformed by pregnancy and being a spiritual sort of person I have struggled to keep the right frame of mind and remember what''s important in life lately. Having said that I have been thinking about my TT sisters and wondering how everyone is doing esp Snowfly and Jobaby, so after this, I will go and clear the 880 update messages in my email inbox! haha

I had my 3 month appt with Dr Cooper today. All is well and I don't have to see him until one year now. I do have a small firm lump on my incision where the T section meets it, where some scar tissue has formed around the deep internal stitch. Its shrinking with continued massage and I'm happy to leave it longer before we go cutting it out. Its about the size of a baked bean. If it's still there at one year I will have it cut out.

For me this has been just as much an psychological/emotional journey as a physical one. Having the TT has brought up lots of self worth issues for me in my relationship with my dear Bam bam. The money we spent didn't make the relationship better than it was to begin with. If anything, me looking and feeling better about myself has brought certain challenges that neither of us expected. You know the saying 'be careful what you wish for'...Its easy to be really focused on getting rid of the ugliness and blaming the ugliness for everything, then it happens, its gone.... then you're left with what lies beneath. I used to have moments of feeling so ugly and sexually unappealing to both myself and the opposite sex, before the surgery and they are still there now and I'm really wondering whether my brain just hasn't caught up with the change or its something much deeper within me, or maybe its just that I'm partnered to a Cave Man!

I'd love to hear from other women about their psychological adjustments after their TT. Of course I look in the mirror and am so happy with my results and feel every bit of pain and suffering during the recovery was totally worth it. My broken belly was like a malignant tumor that infected my whole being and I feel like I've had it amputated but its interesting to me that the feelings of ugliness haven't really gone as quickly as I expected. If you really think about it, a TT is a massive amputation. People who lose limbs can even have phantom pains where the limb once was. The mind is an incredible thing. There are Doctors who do amputations on peoples phantom limbs to stop their brain feeling the phantom pains where their original amputation was. So my body is drastically better but my self esteem hasn't had the same extreme makeover.

I wonder how our brains adjust to a TT and other Mommy Makeovers over time. I've trawled the internet for information and there is so little out there other than what is here on RS. So much of what is here is really focused on the physical side and not many people openly write about their emotional journey beyond the obvious 'I fell so much better than before' but not much about their wobbles along the way. We're all supposed to feel wonderful and greatful, so I think the pressure is on to be really positive and not be a 'Debbie Downer". I'm just really curious to hear any one else's stories about their adjustment to being repaired on the outside and how the inside feelings have adjusted or not and how long that has taken. If any of you have a story to tell please do send it to me by PM I'd love to hear it. The longer the better.

Thank you so unbelievably much to every one of you who encouraged, complimented and supported me through the terrifying early stages of my surgery and recovery. This website has saved us all from so much stress and anxiety, which made our recoveries so much better.

I will post a couple of photos from my recent trip away into nature where I wore my jeans and a fitted singlet... without a part my brain tied up with occupying my midsection for the first time in my life. I haven't worn the CG since about 8 weeks po, and was only wearing it when I had to do vigorous exercise even then. Halleluijah for that! Since we have had so much hot weather here in Australia. I still get a little bit of swelling near the end of the day and when I eat too much sodium. My energy and strength still isn't back to what it was 3 months ago but I can tolerate exercise again and am continuing to get my muscle tone back to pre op levels by working out on my home gym.

If I sit down for a while, the internal abs are tighter when I stand up. I can lift my 1.5 yo grandaughter and hold her on my hip with no pain. I am 6 kg lighter than pre op now. That's something like 13-14 pounds. I gained some during the recovery and its starting to even out again now that I'm burning more calories again. I've found a belly dancing class which starts soon and goes for 15 weeks. I can't wait to get good at it. Love to all and please do send me a story if you want to. Maybe together we can write a book because there just isn't one out there.

Photo

You look great!!!
Thanks Jens x
Secret your beauty shine through, I didn't have to see your photo to see your beauty - keep moving well :-)

4 Months

Hi to all my TT sisters, I'm just over four months now and starting to feel almost normal again. I still have a tightness down the middle of my abs where the internal stitches are when I stretch up high or arch my back. I still get a little swollen and tender, for a few days in my core when I do any strenuous activity (like spread a couple of tonnes of sand and lawn mix all over my garden over two days! woops!) or when I get my period and last but not least when I indulge in sodium! My scar is starting to fade to a lighter pink but not much different from the last pics I posted of it.

I've almost forgotten what it felt like to have the jelly belly. I still look in the mirror sometimes in awe of what I achieved and how different it feels to look in the mirror now and like what I see instead of cringe and look away.

I feel so terrible that i havent visited ur blog in forever to see ur progress! U look great in that blue bikini! Are u strutting it this summer?? :)
You look so good! I am so happy to see your vertical scar. It is very light and barely noticeable. I will most likely have one because I have such a long torso. But seeing yours makes me okay with it. Thank you!
Thanks Brianne, I just had a read of your review. You are going to love your new repaired body. Sometimes Dr's do the vertical because there is alot of sideways stretching too. I'm really happy with mine. It's less visible already, than some of my leftover stretch marks. You must be getting really excited now. I look forward to sharing your journey.
Australia Plastic Surgeon

So far I really like him. He is kind, professional, centred and calm. He also does alot of charity work for children with cranio-facial abnormalities overseas. I like that, it says alot about his care factor and values. Watching him in action on the morning of my surgery and the zone he was in, gave me such respect and awe of people who can perform major surgery. It made me realise that as well as the fact that I'm trusting him, he is also trusting me with his reputation and work out there for everyone to see. He was caring and gentle in pre op and I have every faith in him. Now at 3 months I can see that not only did he do a great job of cutting and stitching me, he also artistically sculpted my belly fat and flanks to give my mid section the appearance of the natural fat distribution that women have around their bb's. He is all and more than I hoped he would be. Thankyou Dr Cooper.