Post op day 8 -Pennsylvania, PA

Ok so i was contemplating on doing a story on here...

Ok so i was contemplating on doing a story on here but i have been coming on here for about over a month now and reading ppls stories to find out more info on rhinoplasty and i finally decided to make one because i need your help afterall.

I just had surgery on friday 3/22/2013. Septoplasty and Rhinoplasty. Everything went well. I trust my surgeon. He has over 40+ years practice in cosmetic surgery so i know i was in good hands. He is very old fashioned so he didnt have any before or after pictures to show me and he didnt do the 3D morph pictures. Its either you trust him or you dont. So i did.

Surgery was 3 hours long. I woke up from anesthesia in a lot of pain and i was very nauseous so i threw up blood which is normal they said because u swallow blood during surgery. I came home fine, i was walking around, i felt great. I didnt even feel like i had surgery. I was in and out of sleep due to the Oxycodone they gave me for pain. I had minor drainage and bleeding and not so much bruising or swelling yet.

Sleeping was HORRIBLE. Woke up every half hour, my mouth was sore and dry. Had lots of bottles of water next to my bed. Could not sleep at all because i could not breathe due to the packing in my nose! I could def tell that my nose is smaller and my tip is noticeably smaller doesnt droop anymore. So far i could tell that im going to love my new nose!

Post op day 2:
Woke up with brusing. Not so much swelling only a little. Only had a little of pain but i would take the oxycodone once every 4 hours as needed. I was just drowsy all day so i was in and out of sleep. Didnt do much. I walked around a lot. I have ADHD so im not the type to lay around all day. Later on that night i started to get really swollen and deep black and blues under my eyes. But i know that is normal so i went to sleep hoping every day will be better.

Post op day 3:
Boy was i wrong, I woke up VERY Swollen and black and blue. Which was fine because on here i read day 3 and 4 are the worst days so this was expected.

My Dr called me this morning and wanted me to come into his office to remove the packing. I was so happy. I met him at his office, mind you this is Sunday, he doesnt see patients on the weekend. Thats how nice and caring he is of his patients. He removed the packing which was HORRIBLE!! SO much pain. I think that was the most pain i endured since this surgery. He then removed my splint off my nose. I was so confused because i thought you had to wait 7 days to take off the splint and its only been two days?? He said the only reason a hard splint is on is to reduce the swelling. He took it off and said its still going to swell with or without the cast. But boy was i happy to remove it and did not care that he did!!

He wants me to go into his office on thursday so he can "squeeze my nose to narrow it". His exact words. He said my nose is still too tender now since i just had surgery and he doesnt want to press on it. I came home and revealed my new nose and i was so happy with the results. It looks great just VERY VERY swollen and bruised. Everyone loved my results. Later on that day my face began to swell very bad. Especailly in-between my eyes and the bruising went over my right eye. I look really bad and is embarrassed to have anyone see me. I look like Avatar and im not exaggerating or trying to be funny. I have been upset and my mom keeps telling me its only been 3 days since surgery but im just so eager and upset because i read alot of ppls stories on here and no one looked like i am. I went to sleep and hoped the next day it would go down.

Post of day 4:
I slept a little better. My nose was still stuffy even after i took out the packing. I still find myself breathing out of my nose. It feels like you have to blow out of your nose but you cant blow your nose via the doctor. I woke up and still looked like Avatar. I look so ugly and i just want to cry. My mom said i look better than yesterday but i think shes just saying that to make me feel better. Im starting to think my face is going to stay like this. Im so scared. Ive been drinking pineapple juice bc i heard it reduces swelling and bruising.

I asked my surgeon prior to the surgery about Arnica gel and tablets and he said dont waste your money. Your going to swell and bruise no matter what. What can i do guys to minimize the swelling and bruising? Oh and im not allowed to ice anymore because he said 48 hours after surgery you just stop icing and since my cast is off he doesnt want the ice to set my nose because it still has to be tender for when he narrows it on thursday.

Post op day 5: Ok so i woke up and i still look...

Post op day 5:

Ok so i woke up and i still look like avatar. Not joking. If i were blue i would have been able to cast for the movie. My eyes are still swollen including the inner corners of your eyes and the bridge of my nose. Im not kidding. I am about you post a profile picture of Avatar because that is who i really look like right now. I still have bruising over my right eye. Brusing is going down though and getting a little yellower in color. My nose is still completely swollen all over. I still have my stiches in thats located inbetween the nostrils. I see the Doctor on thursday so he can "shape and squeeze" my nose. Still a little skeptical on why he wanted to wait until thursday. Im afraid my nose will harden by then. I feel like he should have done it when he took my cast off post op day 3. It will hurt either way. I washed my body for the first time yesterday and it felt amazing. He told me i cant wash my face or touch my nose. I still did very gently. I washed my face with ivory soap and wetted my hands to clean my face. I was using facial wipes but i still had leftover tape glue on my cheeks and the wipes werent taking it all off. My nose is VERY oily. Is anyone else experiencing that? I know its normal because i read other ppls blogs who experienced that. I just wonder why it gets so oily? My face naturally is very dry skin so it just makes me wonder why our noses get oily? I really want to wash my hair. The doctor told me not but I think im going to anyway. It will just make me feel better since my face is so ugly right now. I cant wait to put on makeup and dress up and feel pretty about myself. Today we are having family come over tonight for my sisters birthday and im dreading it because of my ugly swollen face. I am just embarrassed bc i feel like my siblings will say "see was this worth it??" Please tell me it will get better and the swelling will go down. I have an event the end of April and i wanted to look amazing for it and now my hopes are down and im starting to think my face wont change. Sorry i know i am just nagging but noone else understands. My family keeps telling me it will get better but im starting to think their just saying that because they know i look terrible.

If anyone wants to see pics of me, i will private message you them, dont be afraid to ask.

Post op day 6: So last night everyone told me...

Post op day 6:

So last night everyone told me my bruises are going away and everything looks better than the night before. I however do not see a change. Again, i feel like they are just telling me that to make me feel better.

I woke up this morning and yes, i STILL look like avatar. If anything i feel like i look more swollen today and i feel like my nose looks even more swollen. I have been doing everything right. I just don't get it. I sleep elevated on 2-3 pillows, i eat and drink pineapple and im avoiding a lot of sodium. This morning i was changing my shirt and i bumped the tip of my nose with my hand. It did hurt but i ran to the mirror to see if i indented it which i did not, thank goodness. It just started to bleed a tad and i cleaned it up. Also, I have been cleaning my nose with hydrogen peroxide throughout the day and applying aquaphor to my stitches in which they are at the base of my nose and it makes it feel better. I still cant breathe out of my nose, its SOO annoying! I constantly feel like i have to blow it. I cant wait to see the doctor tomorrow so he can squeeze my nose and hopefully he will take out the stitches. I just want to feel some sort of feeling in my nose so i dont care if its going to hurt. I cant wait to see him so he can tell me if my swelling is normal or not. Friday will be 7 days from my surgery. Time has been going slower than ever! I dont know how people can return to work being the 7th day post op. Im scheduled to go back tues april 2nd and im already contemplating to take that week off due to the way my face looks still. Ok i will update tomorrow after my doctors appt. Cross your fingers for me that he tells me good news.

Post op day 7: So i just got back from the...

Post op day 7:

So i just got back from the doctor appointment. Everyone in the office said i have so much swelling and i don't even look like myself. I'm telling you the pictures don't do the swelling any justice because there is so much swelling. My PS admitted that i do look like Avatar lol (great) He said i do have so much swelling and the reason he was going to squeeze my nose was because i guess some PS's do it because the bones are still fragile inside and it kind of molds it into the shape you want it to. But he could not squeeze it today because of the amount of swelling. I'm not exaggerating when i tell you there is swelling. My whole face is swelled. I asked him if there is anything i can do to reduce the swelling and he said no nothing, just time. So he just took out the stitches and said he will see me next week and hopefully some of the swelling will go down by then that way he can start squeezing it. I might have to take off of work next week also because of the amount of swelling i have. I work in customer service so i'm the first face ppl see when they walk in. I'm sure my employer will understand. They know i got this done and were very supportive, thank goodness. Well that's all for today i guess. Nothing changed, except my bruising is going down little by little and i'm still the lovely , Avatar.

Post op day 8: My bruising is slowly getting...

Post op day 8:

My bruising is slowly getting better day by day. My swelling is still there and I am still Avatar lol but last night I put on some makeup for the first time since before the surgery and i do admit it made me feel like my old self again and it didn't look as bad as I thought. Plus with the help of makeup it boosted my self confidence. Its amazing what concealer and a little lipstick can do! I do love my new nose and think my doctor did a great job. It fits perfect with my face and I love the profile. I feel more beautiful and confident now. I just wish the swelling would go down completely so I can get back into doing beauty pageants!! I also breathe out of my nose now so sleeping has been SO much better. I'm still deciding if I should I back to work Tuesday or not or just wait until the following Tuesday and wait for the swelling to go more down. Oh today was the first day i have been gone out in public and actually spoke to a stranger. They probably thought oh my this girl must have been in a fight or something lol I kind of feel bad ass with the bruises. I just need to decrease this swelling!!!!!!

Thank you for sharing! I'm on day 2 and am majorly swollen and also Avatar looking! You are so not alone! We can do this! :)
Awe good luck! Recovery is no fun! Thank goodness I did not have much of a bad recovery, it was just the swelling i hated. But get lots of rest and think you already did the worst part and yes we can do this, we are all in this together!!!!
Thanks so much! Glad to hear yours went down. Can't see the pics on my iPhone for some reason but will check them out soon!!
I actually took my pictures down but if you want I can private message u them. Just send me a private message with your email and I will send you pics!
Sunshine I m 8 days post op n severely depressed. Cos I m so scare my avatar look will be permanent. How are u now 3mths post op care to email me your pic pl
Your new nose looks fantastic! I was also TERRIBLY swollen and bruised, my whole family kept teasing me that I looked like a cartoon character. I was really frustrated because based on the reviews I read on here most people looked great by day 7, and I had to call off extra days of work because I looked so bad and had to wear my splint for an extended time period. Tomorrow will be day 14 for me and I'm just finally starting to look normal again so don't fret! Hang in there, it will get better I promise!
Thank you!! I look like a cartoon character too! I might have to call off of work an extra week next week just because of the crazy swelling. Ugh i just want the swelling to end, i can deal with the bruises its just the swelling! Your new nose looks great by the way!!!!
Your new profile does look REALLY great!!! From your pics it does look like your swelling is starting to subside. I have not had my nose done yet but EVERYONE has swelling it seems so I don't think it is out of the ordinary :) Good luck!!!
Thanks although I do not see a change in the swelling but thats prob bc I see my face everyday but I know it's going to get better each day. I'm just praying for patience!! Good luck on your surgery! This site is the best ever to prepare you.
Hey sunshine who is your surgeon?
Dr John Altobelli
After reading your review, I want to give you a big hug and just tell you everything will be alright, hahaha.. Although I can't do the first part, I CAN assure you that, yes, everything WILL be alright. I promise. Everything (and I'm in NO WAY over-exaggerating when I say "everything") you are going through is NORMAL; I know how hard it is to remember when all you want is to look like yourself again, but you're only 6 days out of surgery. You're literally in the beginning stages of your recovery, so everything you're experiencing is bound to happen. Also, hopefully this reassures you a bit, but I've read MANY reviews where people looked like avatars after their casts were removed, up to anywhere from a few days to a couple weeks afterwards. Also keep in mind that you got your cast removed earlier than most people on here do - which isn't necessarily a bad thing - but could also be why you're experiencing a bit more swelling within the first 7 days. But again, I can't stress enough, nothing I've read is anything to worry about or anything I haven't read before numerous times - you're not alone in your recovery experiences, and I'm glad you chose to post your review, that way we can assure of this :) Let us know how it goes tomorrow - I'm a little worried about the surgeon playing with your nose, but if it has to be done, it'll be worth it in the end. You're going to look great, trust. :)
Thank you so much for the kind encouraging words! I admit I did feel a little better after reading our post and I know I have been so hard on myself and expecting results so fast. Patience patience patience!!! :-)
Hey hun! Im glad you decided to post your pics :) Honestly, i think your end result is going to be beautiful on you! You def still having swelling and bruising (obviously) and i think you are being really hard on yourself. You are a very pretty girl to begin with so once all of the swelling and such goes away i can tell you are going to look great!! I dont think your family is just saying things to say it. It is hard to see a change in something when you are constantly staring at it. I wish you the best of luck tomorrow and dont be afraid to let your PS know exactly how you are feeling and what your concerns are!

Thank you for sharing your experience so far. Of course, we'd LOVE to see your photos here in your review. You can blur out your eyes if that would make you more comfortable.

I don't know what the doctor means about squeezing the nose. If you think it might ease your mind, you can post a question to doctors here, but not sure that it will get up and answered before our appointment.

Please keep us updated! You're still early days so try not to think about things too much (and maybe cover your mirrors :)  )

Thank you. I would put up pictures but im from a small community and i would be afraid if someone would notice me. I was thinking about asking the doctors but my dr appt is tomorrow already. Its hard to not look into the mirror when your so anxious for results!
Actually i have changed my mind. I think i am going to post pictures since i cant figure out how to private message them and plus i dont care who sees me, i have nothing to hide! Can you tell me how i can upload them and write a text on them so everyone knows which post op day the picture was taken on?
Congratulations on having your surgery...that is great! You are going through the hardest phase of enduring bruising and facial swelling. The facial swelling goes pretty quickly but it is the nasal swelling that will take time to completely resolve. Sleep upright and rest up. Also, there are some useful YouTube clips to show how to help your face drain fluid by gently stroking, massaging & kneading certain areas around the neck, chin, ear area but do keep well away from your healing nose and eye area. Other than early cast removal and the squeezing of your nose next week, it all sounds normal. Take care....,you are going to be fine and will look so much better very soon.
Thanks so much, i sure hope so!
You will be! Your pictures are looking gorgeous to me already and if you take photos each day sitting in the same place and time (for lighting) you will see changes, mainly to facial swelling and bruising at first. I had a lot of bruising like you that took a couple of weeks to resolve. Remember swelling is normal and your body's way of dealing with the trauma. Take care.
Thank you and I saw your pictures as well and you look gorgeous!
So glad you put your story on here and im sure you will be glad you did too. I contemplated the same way you did but i've been so thankful for all the help from this site. I want to say to trust your surgeon... But I just had my rhinoplasty done on March 20th and I still have my cast on. I wont be getting it off till the 27th. Now, every doc is different and they all do what works for them. As far as the swelling and bruising goes, i wouldnt judge your final result only 3 days post-op because i am almost 6 days post-op and i am still very bruised and pretty swollen. It sounds a little weirs to me that he wants to "squeeze" your nose? Ive just never heard of that. And as far as reducing the bruising and swelling, I have been taking 2000 mg of Vitamin C every day, eating pineapple, and taking Arnica tablets and it still feels like it has been taking forever to go away! Everyone is different, but try to keep your head and your spirits high because it will get better! 3 days in is FAR too early to judge how it is truely going to turn out ;) Good luck!
Thanks so much for your comment. I looked at your pics and you are gorgeous and your nose is going to come out beautifully. I do feel better that I put my story on here bc I know everyone is going through the same. When I talk to my family about it they just dot understand. Only we are so excited and anxious! I am a little nervous as to why he wants to "squeeze" my nose also. He said he wants to narrow it and that my bones are broken and fragile still. He said he didn't want to shape it when he took the cast off bc I would be in a lot of pain and my nose is still so tender. I'm just afraid that Thursday is too long away since I took the cast off Sunday and my nose will "harden" by then and ill be stuck with a wide nose. I just woke up now and looked in the mirror and I am still avatar. Ah I just want to sleep all day. I feel so ugly when my family looks at me. They all tell me it's getting better but I don't think It is. Last night I broke down and cried bc I'm anxiously waiting for the swelling to go down and I'm afraid it's not going to go down by the time I have to go back to work. I go back to work on Tuesday April 2. I did look at your pictures and your right, the same days your really swollen and bruised I am too. I just was so nervous bc I have been looking over so many people's photos and they all look so great with minor swelling and bruising and then I look at my face and I'm like omg something is wrong. What day would you say I'm on for post op if i just had surgery on Friday march 22? Would today be my post op day 5 or 4? By the way if you would like me to send you private pics I will, I just didn't want to post them on here yet.
Thank you so much, you're so sweet & I appreciate your kind words :) I have been counting the day of surgery as Day 1 but alot of people on here dont include that day, they start at 24 hours post-op. Its completely up to you i guess. But if it makes you feel any better, most people experience the "Avatar" look reguardless whether it is 3 days or 8 days post-op.. After you have the cast taken off, it always swells up! And i guess it seems worse because he did it so early in your recovery. But have faith that it will get better! I get my cast off tomorrow and I am already trying to prepare myself for the avatar look for a few days after... I would LOVE to see your before/after pics! Please, feel free to PM me anytime ;) Good luck with everything!
I was trying to send you private pics but i don't know how! It's not letting me :-/