Smartxide for Eye Crepiness & Fine Lines - Peachtree City, GA

I had Smartxide DOT laser resurfacing on July 26...

I had Smartxide DOT laser resurfacing on July 26 at a local medical spa. I sought out a professional who had performed many laser procedures in the past with good success. I am 58 years old with very fair skin. My areas of primary concern were the crepiness of my upper and lower eyelids and the fine lines on my upper cheeks and around my mouth. During the initial consultation I was given RX's for Keflex (antibiotic), Demerol (I'm allergic to Codeine) and Valium. I was instructed to bring all medications with me on the day of the procedure.

Upon arriving for the laser resurfacing, I was led to a comfortable room with soft lights and music, given one each Demerol and Valium and my face was coated with a numbing cream. After 45 minutes the cream was removed and numbing drops were put into my eyes. Then eye shields were placed under the lids; a little disconcerting since I've never even worn contacts but not painful. The procedure lasted about 45 to 50 minutes. I had full face, eyes (Madonna eye lift) and upper neck areas treated.

I won't kid you, the procedure was painful. About 10 minutes into it, I was given a second Demerol and Valium. I asked the technician to be aggressive to assure me the best result possible, so I'm sure the settings were high (whatever the range may be). The burning became more and more intense and she would occasionally stop and spray cool water at my face which felt wonderful for about two seconds. Once the procedure was complete, she put on a very thick layer of Aquaphor and gave me some skincare products and instructions on how to use them for the next 4 to 5 days.

The trip home was a nightmare. Have you ever had hot grease spatter on your hand? Well, that's what your face feels like times 10. I sat with the vent blowing cold air on my face during the 40 minute drive home. Oddly enough, by the time I go home the burning had completely stopped. There was no more pain associated with the healing process. My eyes were extremely swollen for two days. I looked like I had gotten hit in the face by a rotten tomato for several days. But as long as I kept Aquaphor applied generously, I was comfortable. There was some itching and stinging but !% Hydrocortisone helped with that. I slept with my head elevated on 2 pillows for the first 3 nights. I was not uncomfortable, but as others have mentioned, sleeping with goops of grease on your face poses some minor problems.

My procedure was done on Thursday. There was some mild flaking on days 3 and 4. I went to work the following Monday but could not wear makeup -- the skin was simply too sensitive. I wore a light coating of Aquaphor and tried to keep a low profile as much as possible. Healthwise I felt great but I looked like someone with a SERIOUSLY high blood pressure problem. The itching continued for 1 week and then it stopped. The redness had completely faded by the 10th day, and at that point I could wear foundation again. I can't believe how much better my skin looks. No age spots, no fine wrinkles on my upper cheeks and both upper and lower lids are much tighter. I don't know if this is fact, by the skin on my cheeks and lower face actually feels thicker. Today is the 15th day since the procedure, and no one would guess that I had any work done. But I have people routinely ask what products I am using to make my skin look so young.

I guess you could characterize this procedure with a one liner -- "no pain, no gain." It was well worth the discomfort and waiting.

So now it's been 15 days and I absolutely love the result. All and I do mean ALL of the fine lines and brown age spots are gone. The deeper wrinkles around my mouth are still noticeable, but I will have a little Juvederm to fix that.

Tammy Darby who did your Dot Therapy in Peachtree, GA? You can txt me at patricia515@comcast.net

Welcome to RealSelf and thank you for the detailed review.  Your tips and information will be extremely helpful to others.

Wow so happy for you and your amazing results!    It sounds like you are completely happy  which is wonderful!

Tammy Darby

I found her on RealSelf and then went for a consultation. I was pleased to know that she owned the Smartxide machine (some places rent them and so do not do the procedure very often). Not so with Tammy, she had dozens of photos that she had taken of ladies and men after performing Smartxide laser skin resurfacing on them. She was very confident about her abilities and what I could expect.