Booked my Surgery Today - Now the TERROR Has Set In! – Paramus, NJ

After losing 60 pounds 2 years ago and working out...

After losing 60 pounds 2 years ago and working out 6-7 days per week for the last year, I am in the best shape of my life and my muscles are defined and hard & my core is strong. However my tummy skin is droopy, wrinkly and my bellybutton is sad. I have been thinking about TT surgery for a while, first as a pipe dream, then more realistically, then researching it, then REALLY researching it. Until these past two weeks - I met with 2 plastic surgeons, decided on one, and finally booked my surgery yesterday. Got my pre-op packet today via email, read it and now I am super scared. I am most afraid of the recovery, the pain and losing my fitness that I have worked so very hard for. The only thing making me feel better are all of the "Worth It" reviews on RealSelf and a few TT reviews from women my age who have recovered more quickly than what my doctor says to expect. I will be having tummy tuck with lipo and additional lipo of my hips (that's what they call it, but its really more the rear muffin top area).

Today is the day!

I'm finally posting a few "before" pictures since its only a few hours until "after" (surgery at noon today!). I was so hesitant to post photos because I am SO self conscious about my body - I never really even give it a good look in the mirror myself - let alone post pictures on the Internet! But this site has been so helpful to me (especially the photos). And what good are afters without befores anyway??? Well...here goes! 4 hours left! I'm so nervous.

So Far So Good - I Think...

So I am 3 days post op & seeing definite improvement since I got home on Saturday. I had no real strength, couldn't get in/out if bed or the chair by myself and I was getting dizzy from the littlest bit of effort and my blood pressure was dropping really low. No more dizziness - thank goodness - that was scaring me and my husband. I am chalking that up to residual anesthesia in my system. Today, I took a lot more short walks around the house (and wasn't as tired), got in and out of the chair by myself and was able to make it thru to my next dose of pain meds without trouble. I'm taking 1 Percocet and 1 extra strength Tylenol every 4-5 hours during the day and 2 percocets before bed. Still haven't slept more than 2 hours in a row - I think I wake up when my body wants to roll over and I can't. I'm still pretty hunched, especially when I first get up from sitting. Tomorrow is my first post op - I am anxious to hear if I am doing well from the doctor. I don't think he will take my drains out - its been drastically reducing each day, but I've already hit 30 for today on the left - so at least another few days with drains. The drain stitches really bother me - they're kind of stiff and wiry and they rub on my underwear and its a really uncomfortable sensation. And the binder is rough... I had cold numb feet on Sunday morning, but I texted the nurse and she said to undo the binder for a few hours - and that did the trick. Today it was cold, numb hands (and no, it's not on me super-tight). 2 weeks with this thing? Yikes.

Drains out!!!

Got my drains out yesterday!!! Ok, I have read at least 50 RS reviews and everyone says that getting your drains out is a great day, and I agree, it feels much better - more comfortable to sleep, and shower, and just walk around ... But NO ONE warned me that those holes still squirt stuff out after the drains are out!!! Oh my gosh - I got home & had to pee and when I stood up - it shot out! Nasty! So now I have some gauze pads in there (the nurse said the holes will scab over within 24 hours). So there you have it - be warned!

Day 7 Photos

Still way swollen and bruised, but drains out and standing straighter! Don't mind my gauze pads (see previous update!).

What do I wear???

Oh my gosh... Going thru my closet trying to put together anything resembling a work outfit and fail after fail!! I have one cottony dress, but between the swelling and hunching, it looks like maternity. Pants are out - none of them fit. What the heck does everyone wear while riding out the swelling? Help!!!

How are you feeling/recovering? Haven't heard anything in awhile. Hope all is well!
You look great! I am on post op day 4 I had TT and breast lift with implants. my drains came out yesterday and luckily nothing came out of them when I got home. I never knew that could happen either. Good luck on your recovery!
U look. GREAT i just had my tt yesterday
The drain stitches were bothering me as well... I taped a Few pieces of gauze over them .. Helped a lot! I'm 6 days po and am looking forward to hopefully getting the drains out tomorrow at my appointment . Happy healing to you :)
I too worried about losing my fitness but don't rush it. It's so very worth the wait and your body will keep changing on its own for weeks and weeks even without all that exercise!
Good luck to you! It is a slow recovery when you are in the middle of it, but you will get back to your fitness! I completed races less than a year after surgery at about the same level as the year before, and now I'm in the best shape of my life. I will be breaking PRs this summer! It can be intimidating, but our bodies are remarkably resilient. You lost 60 pounds - that takes an incredible amount of effort! Also, your fitness will help you with recovery. It will be here before you know it!
I just ran a half marathon this past weekend. 6 weeks off from running means I will lose most of my conditioning. But, I can't wait to run without all that extra skin! I have to wear Spanx just to keep it all smoothed out. So, yes, there are trade offs! The fitness will come back to us slowly but surely!
I don't do fitness LOL I'm 54,I ride a Motorcycle all summer that weighs 800 pounds,and live on a farm...Thats enough for this girl. I'm just lovin life one day at a time. :) I'm strong ,and have a flat belly now,life is awesome :)
I have the same fear as you, "losing my fitness". I just have to look at it as I was out-of-shape before, if I lose it, I'll get back into again. Plus now we have muscle memory! It will be so nice not to do a push-up or plank and have the tummy sag!
You will find comfort and peace in knowing this is the right decision for you!
Thank you - yours was one of the reviews that made me feel less anxious!
Awww thank you, that's so sweet! Looking forward to your updates! :)
Congrats,it is worth it,I didn't even hesitate,I waited 37 years,work outs do not work when the tummy muscle is torn. I love my new tummy I got Dec. 5th 2013...Good luck Hun,post pic,s :)
You will be fine. And you definitely won't lose all you have worked for this past year. Good luck!!!
Don't be scared, be excited!    Time to finish this journey up and get rid of that skin.  I had the same experience as you and I thought you were talking about me..LOL

Don't freak out about the time away from the gym.  It all comes back and you will be much happier without the skin.  Just take it one day at a time and allow your body to heal.  No rushing and you will soon be loving your new tummy.