Juvederm in Tear Troughs-don't Do It!

I'm 43 and had some bags under my eyes. Went to a...

I'm 43 and had some bags under my eyes. Went to a plastic surgeon to discuss surgery options. She suggested I could buy some time with filler and asked if I had a preference for restylane or juvederm. I did not know the difference and she injected 1 syringe of juvederm. She also said that if I did not like the results there was an "antidote."

Immediately, I got a raised bump under my right eye, but she told me I had no bump and that it was normal to have some swelling. At 2 weeks, I had raised bumps under both eyes shaped like the nike swoosh--I definitely preferred my pre-filler appearance. Went back to Dr., she said she "had no idea what this is" and when I asked for antidote, she said she had never done it before, would have to order it and learn the effects!

I went for a second opinion elsewhere where they took one look at me, said that I had "classic juvederm fluid retention" and that juvederrm often takes on too much water in the tear troughs and so they do not use it there!

5 weeks later, I have had multiple injections to undo the juvederm and look almost normal, but still have some swelling under my right eye. So grateful to the 2d Dr., really mad at the 1st. I will never do this again!

I too had a disaster with Juvederm under the eyes. I went to the most sought after cosmetic dermatologist in Tucson - but her tech did the injections. BIG MISTAKE! At first I was over-injected and looked like I had a really bad sinus infection. After returning to the doctor to have some removed (which the dermatologist did), I was left with strange dimpling under the skin and the wrinkles are now accentuated with said dimpling, lumps and a strange blue tinge. It has been over a year and has not improved. If anyone knows someone great in the Bay Area, let me know.
Hi Angela! Oh i totally agree! i do not blast Juvederm at all. I use the analogy of how great a Mercedes is, but a 12 year old driving the car will cause a lot of damage with a great product. Same goes for Juvederm. As a matter of fact, for the past year I have been buying it and injecting myself. I realized that conservatism is the key. After the BCPS messed up my eyes, 5 mos afterwards i went to a dermatologist who told me the PS injected too large a volume and too superficially. But I am doing better these days. Who is your dr and where are you located? You can email me at petrovak1982@hotmail.com
Hi Krystal, I am so glad to hear you are recovering nicely. This is a link back to my recent Juvederm posting: http://www.realself.com/review/huntsville-juvederm-tear-troughs-2
Hi JD, I will also email you at the address you listed for the pics. But what I wanted to address on this forum is something you write that is a big problem with these drs -- admitting the disfigurement that they did. I also had to large ridges and bags under my eye after a Juve disaster from a Board-certified plastic surgeon. I am a PhD student in university, and look the right age. Everybody would tell me how young I am. However, after the Juve incident, I was getting all sorts of hurtful comments such as "It must be hard going to school at your age," and "You are not taking care of yourself. Look at your eyes." I was depressed. I went back to the dr several times. All they would tell me is how much better I look than before and refuse to give me any refund, even though I eventually had to have another dr put vitrase in so that I could look human again. Also the PS office staff told me how "everyone just loves the way they look" after this dr injects them. I know they are still saying that, even though he disfigured me. So you cannot believe the office staff in a dr office. They will tell you what they have to in order to get you to agree to the service. Once they mess up your face, they don't want to acknowledge a thing.
Hi Krystal, I am sorry to hear of your negative results with Juvederm. I have had a wonderful experience with Juve in the tear trough area, so much so that I finally wrote my first posting just last night. Just this past Friday I had my 2nd Juve treatment in the tear trough area. The first time the Dr injected the product he took a very conservative approach that gave a me a very nice effect, although during the 2 week checkup we both agreed that a little more next go round would be the target result. As mentioned, this past Friday, 9 months after the first procedure, I went for my 2nd treatment and the results were very pleasing. The Dr injected .35 cc in each tear trough area, yes there was swelling and bruising, but that is normal for me. Today the results are very nice. I firmly believe that the problem with your results falls with the skill level and placement technique of the injector and not with the product. I too developed a hollowing and darkening under my eyes that gave me a tired appearance. Considering I spend $480 quarterly on botox, $600 under the eyes that lasts for 9-12 months is a bargain (Unused product goes into areas around my mouth). It also sounds as if the injection was too superficial. My Dr has explained to me the technique he uses which gives a "lifting" effect to the muscle tissue under the skin to bring fullness (my laymans terms).
I agree. I had horrible swelling and bruising after a PS put Juvederm Ultra Plus under my eyes. He told me massage was essential, even though I had blackened both my eyes trying to massage the crap out.

Hello. I'm glad you had a great experience. Would you mind sharing who your Dr is? I'm considering this and want the right guy. Thank you!

I have a horrible bump under my eye from Juviderm injections. It has been there for over a year. It's not going away. My doctor also refuses to acknowledge that it exists. I would warn anybody about juvederm under the eyes.  I have nasty pix if you wanna see them. If anyone knows someone who can get rid of this P L E A S E let me know. I'm in Los Angeles.

Hi JD,

Welcome to RealSelf. If you have a moment, please share your story by writing a review (you can share pics too).

We've got lots of people here who have had injectables, including Juvederm and hyaluronidase (which is sometimes used to dissolve Juvederm). I hope you're able to find the support you need here. Please don't hesitate to ask advice - we're here to help!

Best wishes,
--Sharon

Would you mind revealing who your MD was? I live near PA in Mountain view and would like to know who did both injections so I can avoid the same problem. You can email me privately if you don't mind. Thanks!
Juvederm holds 1000x its weight in water. Any doctor should figure this out before they start plugging it into any human's face! After suffering horrifying results from Board Certified Plastic surgeon screwing up my eyes, I went to a competent dermatology resident eventually who taught me the best ways to inject,and who also told me how incredibly tricky the under eye area is and should be treated with great caution and VERY little Juvederm, about 1/10 of a tube under the eye only, especially since Juvederm absorbs water. You put in a little bit, it absorbs water and then you have the natural look. Putting in half a tube, a whole tube or in some patients have had 2 tubes under the eyes results in the most freaksh and damaging results. I have been doing my own face for about a year now. People think I am 20 years younger.