Have to Get This Weight Off - Oregon

My final straw was my orthopedic doctor telling me...

My final straw was my orthopedic doctor telling me I needed both knees replaced if I didn't get my weight off. It was the catalyst that I needed to do something. I didn't feel I was doing something drastic, but I was going to take control of my health. Getting the weight off fast was a necessity. I was the classic Weight Watcher Lifer, Jenny Craig lifer, etc. But could not keep the weight off. I went to a seminar with my husband and after a long talk I decided to go through with surgery.

The day of surgery was actually exciting for me and I wasn't the least bit nervous. I have a panic and anxiety disorder, so I of course was anxious that I wouldn't get my psych meds. :) But with my doctor's help and attention to making sure all the orders were in place, it went smoothly. The surgery itself was relative easy. Not painful afterwards, more of a twinge if I moved the wrong way.

Yes, I did get sick of protein shakes and could hardly wait for "real" food. My choice was roast, so my mom made one and I got a little piece. I gagged on it and there was no way it was going down. Discouraged and questioning if I did the right thing, I moved forward with puddings and other softer foods. It wasn't long before I could eat almost anything. About 9 months after the surgery I had some severe pain right under my sternum and spent a week in the hospital. Nothing could be found as to why it happened. Two weeks later it happened again so they went in to surgically look and saw that I had a small internal hernia, and while there removed my appendix.

Four years later, I still cannot eat much at any given time, but I have to graze to get my protein in and to keep my weight stable. A long talk with the new surgeon and I didn't get a stamp of approval for eating this way, but he understood and encouraged me to get the protein and then add in some fruit or vegetables. It is extremely important that you take your vitamins and supplements as instructed.

I have a full life in spite of having other disabilities. But I am no longer obese to the point I can't play Legos on the floor with my grandchildren!

Dr. Yarbrough

The surgeon who did my surgery is no longer practicing at the center here where I live, but has moved to a new practice in a nearby city at a new center.

You are absolutely beautiful!! congratulations!!!

Wow, that's an awesome weight loss. You must be proud of your achievement. This isn't an easy fix, it's a tough journey and you have to put a lot of hard work into it, but you seem to be doing really well.

Well that was silly of me for not including all of that info! I had RNY and in the first 8 months I lost 145 pounds and slowly over the next few months I had lost another 20. I have been able to maintain this good weight for 3 years now. I haven't worn clothes this small since middle school!

Hi Laura,

Thanks for your review. It will be very beneficial to the community.

You've done so well and you look really good in your before/after. If you don't mind sharing, how much weight have you lost since surgery?

Kirsty