Learn from My Mistakes - Oklahoma City, OK

I labeled my title “learn from my mistakes”...

I labeled my title “learn from my mistakes” because: 1) I have already made them even before I’ve had the surgery; and 2) because I am the most mistake prone person in the world, and I am sure that I will continue to make them. It would be nice if something good could come from my mistakes. :-)

I am 5’9, 180 pounds, and I am going to get an extended tubeless tummy tuck and a breast augmentation. I don’t have pre-op pictures yet, but I will take them tonight. My background is probably the same as every other woman’s background here. I had kids, and my body went to crap. I don’t mean that in a mean way; I don’t regret anything – it just is what it is.

I was perfectly fine (mentally) with the procedures until I started reading other people’s blogs/posts about their procedures. They say knowledge is power, well – maybe not in my case. I tend to obsess about worst possible scenarios . . . like the time when I convinced myself that I had ovarian cancer and only had a few months to live. Anyway, my first mistake was being upfront with my boss and telling him I was having a tummy tuck and a breast augmentation. Maybe I should have stuck with the backup plan which was “female surgery.” The thing is that I am an upfront kind of person. I am not embarrassed about what I am doing. Also, I sincerely hope that when I come back to work in 13 days, that I look a hell of a lot different. Maybe that is just wishful thinking on my end. I guess only time will tell. Anyway, back to the mistake of telling your male boss what you are really doing, I think that by telling him about my TT and BA it just made him uncomfortable, which in turn caused him to blurt the first thing that came to his mind which was, “You don’t look like you need a boob job,” then he proceeds to tell me about a tv show that he saw called a 1000 ways to die, where some guy decided to take a bunch a pain pills, and give himself liposuction with a shopvac. You could imagine what that story did to my hyper imagination.

Second mistake to learn from – plan to take off the day before surgery. You will have to do a bowel prep. The words bowel prep might seem relatively harmless, but believe me, it sucks! I know that my co-workers are judging me right now. My two biggest fears in life are cockroaches and public bathrooms. I have faced one of my biggest fears repeatedly today. . .I can’t stress enough the need to take off work.

Third mistake – buy the lemon flavored Magnesium Citrate (for the bowel prep). I wouldn’t say it is tasty, but it beats the heck out of the grape.

More to come . . .

I am still sleeping a lot so I didn't get around...

I am still sleeping a lot so I didn't get around to writing a review today, but I did want to post before and after photos. The first two are taken the night before the procedure, and the last two are taken taken (4 days post-op). I still have a lot of swelling and the lovely black permanent marker is still all over my body, but despite all this, I can see the beginnings of a new body, and I am so happy!!

I skipped all over the place on my first post so I...

I skipped all over the place on my first post so I will attempt to fill in most of the blanks, but be warned that I am on pain medication, so I don’t know how successful I will be. Here goes:

The night before the procedures, my mom came into town. Whenever I am sick or recovering, I want my mother. I was so glad that she came from Dallas to come and take care of me. In addition, my husband took off work to take care of me so I felt strong and ready to get this thing started . . . except for one thing, I was freaking out! I did way too much reading on-line. Some people that had a tummy tuck were saying that it is so much worse than delivering a child. Another person was complaining that they were 6 weeks post-op and just now able to way around. Another woman said that it was worth it, but still the most pain she has experienced in her life! Really?? Because I scheduled 10 days off work (I have a desk job), and in the words of Sweet Brown, “Ain’t nobody got time for that.” I did the only thing that I knew would help me, I called my doctor office and read the nurse the most horrible of the reviews and asked her to tell me how I could be sure that this wouldn’t happen to me. The nurse didn’t negate all of the reviews, but she did the next best thing; she prescribed me a couple of Valiums. I think the lesson to learn here is don’t be afraid to asked for Valium if you start freaking out a day or two before surgery. You could probably save time by just asking for it upfront.

The day of surgery, I arrived at the hospital at 8:15. The doctor had one breast augmentation to do before me, but my surgery (BA, lipo, and TT) was scheduled for the rest of the day = 6.5 to 7 hours. My PS always uses his brother as the anesthesiologist so I got to meet the whole family. Both are really good looking. The last thing I remember is telling the anesthesiologist to “Put me down fast. I don’t like hanging around between consciousness.” I was out.

My surgery last exactly 6.5 hours. My nurse was wonderful. She anticipated everything that I needed before I could even ask. I stayed over-night by myself. Normally, I would want my mom or hubby to spend the night in the hospital with me, but I didn’t see the point because I was literally the only patient that the nurse had, and she assured everyone to go home get some sleep, and she would take care of me. At one point, I remember my pain level being at a 7, but after I started on the narcotics, it went done to a 3 or 4 and didn’t get past that until later when I got home.

The following 2-3 days were the worse days for me as far as pain level and getting the hang of everything. Trips to the bathroom were the most laborious chore, and pain medication increased those trips. There are a million things I could complain about, i.e., sleeping on my back, the stabbing pain of the abdomen when moving from the lying to the sitting position, the constipation, being hunched over and the pain on the hips from the liposuction, but I knew that this pain would be involved before I agreed to do the surgery. The worst thing for me – the part I did not prepare myself for – was the feeling of being a burden or dead weight. After a few days, my mom left, and the chores around the house were starting to add up. All I could do was add to the laundry, add to the dirty dishes, add to the number of directions that Lucas (my husband) was being pulled. I felt bad enough not helping with dinner and homework, but to contribute to the number of things he has to do, makes me feel worthless and depressed. In retrospect, I was so concerned about the pain factor, that I didn’t even consider the emotional factor of these procedures. I got over it after a couple of days, but I was pretty down about it. Then, I realized that I have sacrificed so much for my family, I have stayed up late helping on homework projects, I take them to volleyball, swimming, soccer, lacrosse, or fencing almost every night of the week, my social life in on the backburner because my kid’s activities consume my life. I feel like I have earned a few weeks of “vacation” from the family, and I will look back on this recovery time years later, and think, “My down time really wasn’t that long. It might have seemed like a long time then, but what different is a few weeks in the grand scheme of things?”

All that to say, expect to have some pain, but know that each day gets better. I am 8days PO, and I can take a shower, get something to eat, go to the bathroom, turn on my side, pull myself up, put the dishes in the dishwasher, do lite laundry, change sheets, feed the dog – all without assistance. 3 days ago I couldn’t do half of that stuff. It is easy to frustrate yourself with all the things that you can’t do, but don’t get discouraged, focus on the things that you can do and the small changes or slight improvements that occur daily.

So far, I can say that I am not ready to go back to work full time quite yet. I arranged to work a couple of hours a day for the entire week, which will help me transition into working full time the following week.
I’m not recovering as fast as I thought that I would, but I refuse to push myself too far. Now that I can get a round easily, I plan on spending a little more time with the kids, sleeping and resting when I need it, and listening to my body. Despite all the swelling and bruising from the surgery and lipo, I can see the start of something beautiful. 11 inches was taken off my belly so most of the stretch marks are gone. My stomach is flat. My belly button looks like a belly button should. My breasts are perky. It’s only getting better from here.

3 months later

I didn't know if it was worth it for the first month, but after 3 months, I can say it was sooooooo worth it. I wore a 2 piece for the first time in 12 years and rocked it!! To anyone wondering if it is worth it, yes- it is absolutely worth it.
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Lots of research. I wanted to find a PS that did the quilting method (no drains) for the tummy tuck, and based on various websites, I found that Dr. Shadid's patients' description of his wonderful bedside manner combined with his excellent workmanship, made him the PS for me. I have not been disappointed.

I love how real you are. Seriously, people like you are so refreshing and I think the world would be a better place if everyone just shared :0)

Thanks for your tips! Have you had your surgery yet? If so, how are you feeling?

Thank you so much. I really needed to hear that right now. I've had the surgery, and I am 4 days post-op. I keep trying to update my review, but I can't seem to stay up long enough to do it, but that is my goal for the day. I've slept a lot. But yesterday was my first "turning point" on pain and drowsiness. I will say that unlike some of the people that made reviews I never question whether or not the pain was worth the procedure. I am extremely bloated, and I am in some pain, but even now it is worth it. My stomach hasn't looked this good since I was 19. I am completely blown away by the results. Thanks again for the nice post and checking up on me. P.S. I'm still on drugs so hopefully this post makes sense. :=)
looking forward to following your journey!
Thank you. I had the surgery and am doing great. I hope to post an update with pictures today. My problem has been staying away long enough, but I am very happy with the results already. ttyl, natalie
youre funny..our stats are about the same...im 5'9 175 and i laugh when you said what you told your amle boss. i told my boss i needed off for surgery and he was reading the request ...he said what is this for knee surgery? lol i said no..he said it doesnt matter...i wanted to yell...IM GETTING TITS AND A FLAT STOMACH AGAIN!!!!!! LOL but thatd be inappropriate
Your story made me laugh! Maybe all of us should join forces and write a book on what to say (and not say) to people, family, coworkers, etc. that are having cosmetic surgury. I am now post-op, and I am hoping to send an update by tonight. I have slept 90% of the time. I got all these movies and books to read, but I just end up falling asleep. Yesterday seems to be a turning. When is your surgery?
I go in march 29. How have you been? I go for my pre open march 5. I'm excited and nervous at the same time.how many CC did you get?I want 375 CC
I am doing fine. Everyday gets better and better. I am excited for you! That will be here before you know it. Like I said in my post, I am swollen and bruised, but I am happy with my decision. I ended up getting 469cc - it's an odd number I know, but they don't make them in 450cc. Anyway, I was a small D and now I am a DDD. It sounds really big, but I've got a big frame, I'm 5'9, and I don't think I look disproportioned. I really needed something larger to give my boobs a lift without actually doing a breast lift - if that makes sense. Are you doing TT and BA or just BA?
Yeah we are about the same size. I'm getting the TT BL BA. I'm really worried about recovery, but pain is only tempora
Sorry, temporary, I'm getting 375 cc. I'm a deflated sad b cup now and that cc will bring me to a small d or large c. I'm taking off eight weeks for work too so I'll be ready... all I'm doing is waiting for the pre open appointment, what do they do at the pre op?
what is BL?
I accidentally posted my response to the wrong spot. oops. here it is: You are so smart to take 8 weeks off work, and that is great that you have the option to take off that much time. You will be totally ready to go by that time. This is how my doctor’s office handled the pre-op: they collect my total fee (note, my pre-op was only 1 week before surgery. They had a cancellation, and I was able to get in earlier than I initially planned), he gave me all of my prescriptions that I would need to be filled, they went over the time I would need to be at the hospital/surgery center, they told me what I would need to get for the bowel prep and instructions like, no eating or drinking after midnight the night before surgery, have a liquid diet only the day before surgery, etc. They also went over the final cc’s that I had decided on, and the doctor went over any last minute questions that I had. He also told me how long the procedure would last and what limitations I could expect afterwards (basically, specific PO instructions and longer term PO instructions). Then, I had to sign a lot of consent paperwork letting them know that I understood that there are risks involved in this surgery as in all surgeries. Luckily, my doctor gave me a booklet full of all the information that he went over because it is a lot of information. It went really fast from there. Sometimes I can believe that I’ve already had the TT and BA because I looked forward to it for years knowing one day I would do it, and then, when it is finally over, it seems so surreal.
thank you so much for the insight. im already starting to write out my list...so far I want to get a full length mirror (so I can admire myself lol) and a back pillow I saw it a t walmart but ill wait until next week to make one big purchase. I hope they give me the directions in writing.. I cant believe ill be going in in 28 days!!! im nervous and try to make sure im doing the right thing, but I know ill regret it if I don't go forth. I ask people who had surgery and a lot of them say their only regret is not doing it sooner. im 32 and see a lot of 50 year old women on here doing it and I don't want to wait that long. heres to being in a bikini by summer!!!! cheers!!! thanks
It is so going to be worth it! I’ve been using your mantra lately “No pain no gain,” and as of today, I have no regrets. Today also happens to mark my 2 weeks PO. The BA never bothered me – that was a piece of cake, but the TT was the killer for me – not unbearable just burdensome especially if you don’t give yourself enough time to recover like I did. Since you are taking off 8 weeks from work, you should have no issues. Regarding the full length mirror, I have one, and I was looking at myself in it today loving what I saw. The swelling has gone down, the scabs are almost gone, my tummy and back-fat are no more, my breasts are large and perky, and for the first time in 11 years, I love my body. – It is amazing that the transformation only took 2 weeks; any pain or discomfort I felt has been forgotten; it is worth it. Good luck to you Fitfoxxy; I can’t wait to read your story.