Implant Removal After 19 Years - Oklahoma City, OK

First of all, I'm so happy to have found this blog...

First of all, I'm so happy to have found this blog as I have such apprehension with this upcoming procedure in 3 days.
I had augmentation about 19 years ago and left it to the surgeon for the size and I have been unhappy with how large they are the entire time. My right one has been very hard for the majority of the time too.
Well about 4 months ago I started experiencing a 'pooling' or pocket of fluid with the right side and went to a breast specialist. He ran all the tests..MRI, mammogram and ultrasound. Everything came back normal. He was perplexed and put me on antibiotics as a precautionary though infection was ruled out as well as no leak. I came back several times until he decided to do a biopsy as an outpatient this too came back negative. Within days after this I started leaking a rusty colored fluid from the incision. He told me that implant was so close to my skin with no tissue between it and my skin that the biopsy incision partially exposed the implant and the body would never allow it to completely heal. Therefore the decision to remove them as been made. I was a 34B before and currently a 34D. I'm afraid of what they will look like afterward. I've seen photos afterward with breast lift but I'm not having one- just removal. I'm afraid I won't even be the same size I was before.

Day of surgery

On my way to the hospital now and will post again as soon as I feel up to it. Thank you for all the advice and encouragement!

Five days since surgery

First of all, thank you all for your comments and support. It was very much appreciated.
I am so happy to have this surgery behind me now. It was about an hour and a half long and as previously mentioned, I did have an infection on the right side which involved a longer surgery time. Afterward I was in outpatient recovery for about three hours and released to return home I was tightly wrapped in an elastic bandage which was scheduled to come off in 48 hours by the Dr.; however we got snowed in :) so plan B was to talk me through it over the phone and text a picture after my shower,which by the way,felt so good. I am posting both two new pictures which are of me wrapped and then immediately after it was removed. This is day five and I'm still bruised and very sore but taking much less pain meds now. My stitches will come out on Wednesday so I will post again then. Does anyone know how long this extreme tenderness and soreness will last?

After surgery pics

Elastic bandage and after removal of wrap.

Elastic wrap and after removal of wrap

Immediately after wrapped removed

We need more photos and who was your doctor? I am in OKC and trying to look at reviews of doctors here in oKC and NO ONE is listing their doctor.
Wow you look amazing!
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

OMG congrats you look sooooo much better!!!!!!!!!
You look great. I can tell you have great fluff potential :)
You look great, and it will get better every day. I also can't believe I wanted beach balls inside of me. We all look so much better after explant.
You look so much better without those big implants! :) About the extreme tenderness, I am currently a little over 2 weeks out and I still have a lot of soreness. I had a more invasive surgery because both my implants were ruptured, so my PS had to do a double-capsulectomy and there was a lot of clean-up. I think I'll probably be sore for another couple weeks, but hoping by next week I'll start noticing less and less. Happy healing! :)
Thank you for your compliment! I appreciate your sharing your post op progress. It really helps! I too had a double capsulectomy and wow are they sore ! The right side more where the infection had to be treated and removed. Isn't it great to have them out of our bodies! As I look back at the before and after I can't believe we all wanted them in the first place:) happy Continued Healing to you too! ;)
Boy you can say that again! Feels so good to be free of those heavy, toxic implants! :) One of the worst decisions I ever made when I decided to get them. Here's to better, happier, healthier days ahead (clink)! :)
To all coming out : I had the same thing you did, a capsuectomy my right breast was real bad surgery lasted 4 hrs. He had to take alot of my own tissue out I.am totally flat now but thaank God I did,nt have breast cancer. I just wanted to aske you . "It has been 5 weeks he had to cut so much out I have skin real tight under my little breast that pulls he said this is normal skin stretching. also I still feel awful real tired, my shoulders hurt I,am 71. 2 days before I had this surgery I was out walking shoping I feel depressed because no energy. I do the dishes in the morning make coffee and I just feel so run down then I take shower. Do you feel, weak and run down??? How do you feel. I,am a jogger and walker but there is no way I could be out side right now feeling this way. I have never had operation accept to have implants put in silicon (35) years the implants. I have alot of anxiety in me to. thanks a lot . hugs zzztop
Aw, I'm really sorry to hear you aren't feeling well. I understand the no energy thing - I still haven't been able to keep my energy level up for very long. I felt great about 4 days ago and took a 3-mile walk outside. I felt amazing...so clear-headed and got the exercise "high". But then the next day I felt awful. I was super sore and very lethargic and have basically been feeling tired ever since. I clearly overdid it - my body wasn't ready for that much exercise. When I had the implants, I didn't feel good for several years, especially the last 2 years before they were removed. I had several health issues and I was always sooo tired and run down. So I am hoping that one day after I fully recover from surgery, I will get my energy back and will feel like I did before implants. Its been so long since I've felt good, so I feel your pain. I hope you start feeling better soon - many hugs!
Dear Allcomingout: Thank you for writting me. It is really sad to me. I have exercised all my life, right now I just feel like you said sooooo tired and weak no energy. I,am 68 now I had my implants 35years never a problem.. I think you over did the walking I did that to I had a bad fall on vacation really messed up knees and legs soft tissue engeries. I waited about 4 weeks and took long walk . Oh my God I hurt so bad the next day just like you. I also feel depressed because i have no breast just little bumps niples look weird. I could have had more implants put in but I could imagine the pain. So far I manage getting up at 5:00am having a cup of coffee write in my journal do up a few dishes (my husband) has been doing everything then I go in take shower then sit on top of bed with computer that is it. I see Dr. tomarrow. before this operation I was never sick or tired. Well I guess if you decide to walk again only do 30 mintues. that is a drag. But at least you can walk . I have only been out 2 times since surgery. It is real cold where i live Ca. Can,t cut the cold. write again let me know how your doing hugs zzz
wow you look amazing... Yay... Although still terrified... I can not wait to get mine out. Thank you for sharing...
Thank you! I will have the stitches removed Wednesday and post more info from Dr comments then. I too was so terrified, but you can do it! Sending Prayers for not only a successful surgery, but also for strength to do it. Though I am healing with the normal soreness and tenderness (no hugs) I am so happy to have the implants gone! You will not regret it.
I was thinking of you when I saw this post, znikie...you're not going to be saggy and horrible if you don't get a lift!
I know... She looks amazing... and gives me so much hope. Unsure2013... Im so happy her surgery went as well as it did. I have my next consult on Dec 12th... Fingers crossed.. You ladies are awesome.. Thank you for being there for support. xo
I hope your surgery went well and you are recovering quickly! Keep us updated. :)
How are you?
Thoughts and prayers go out to you :) Definitely keep us all posted. Hugs...
Im in the same boat sort of... except I havent found a Dr. yet... Take a look at my journey so far. Im torn.. I know that I want mine out.. but do not want to have to get a lift.... Im sorry you are dealing with this and hope everything will work out to your advantage... Good Luck and keep n touch.

I'm sorry you've been through so much! See how they look after a few months. You can go back and do a lift in the future if need be. For now just try to enjoy the feeling of being natural again. So light and free!

Please keep us posted, we are here for you!

I am about 6 weeks post op. I went from an A to a D with my 18 year old implants. I was scared to see how I'd look but honestly I look better than I did prior to getting the implants many years ago. I still have some concaving where my cc was in my right breasts but I'm a full B and not saggy. Good luck to you!! :-). You'll be fine!
Thank you so much for the words of encouragement-my surgery is only two days away now and getting a little nervous. I will be so happy when it's over!