Get Breast Reconstruction After Mastectomy! Will Post Pics Soon :) - Ogden, UT

(I will post photos when I get them all together...

(I will post photos when I get them all together in sequence) First off, I had no family history of Breast Cancer, but was diagnosed with it in one breast on 3/6/2012. I had a nipple sparing mastectomy on one breast on 4/12/2012. I had immediate reconstruction on my other breast with a tissue expander. I had 6 rounds of chemo, I didn't need radiation so the reconstruction was an option for me. After reconstruction, they filled the expander gradually until I was the size of breasts I wanted. It didn't hurt at all, just a bit tight because the skin had to stretch because the they had to remove some of the skin during mastectomy On 2/7/2013, I had surgery for an implant exchange on both breasts. They turned out great. One of them had tissue in it and the other had no tissue because the cancer was completely removed in one breast. On 9/19/2013, I had a breast lift to match up the shape, size of breast, areola and nipples. One of my implants had been sliding he fixed that at the same time. I am still in the final process of Breast Reconstruction. My Plastic Surgeon reassured me that he can fix the breast if it doesn't settle and round out. He put me at ease and reassured me during the whole process. Keep in mind this is a long process, (year and a half or so) but it was worth every minute! Please get reconstruction, insurance covers it or you can usually get help from grants or financial help from the hospital. I spoke to many women who chose not to get it because they said their husbands didn't care. I told them it is for them, for confidence, self esteem and just feeling feminine and getting back to moving on with their lives. For some women, it was too late, they didn't know their insurance covered it, which is now mandatory. Waking up after mastectomy and looking down and seeing what looked like a breast (tissue expander) was the happiest day of my life! I did feel alone. Family and friends helped me through the struggle with depression. I even met alot of people struggling with Breast Cancer or lost others to it. I actually chronicled my baldness and struggle on Facebook! I stayed as optimistic as possible and decided to be brave and educate people on it. I needed support, but didn't feel like going to support groups. Feel free to ask questions or message me.
McKay Dee Hospital-Dr. Jeremy Rinard

I can't put into words how wonderful my Plastic Surgeon is. After my initial surgeries and chemo, he has been the only Doctor I have dealt with for the past year. He answered all my questions. He walked me through every step of each procedure and kept me optimistic throughout the whole situation, even during my baldness! He has reassured me that he will make sure that he we will do his best to make my breasts the way I want them to look. His Assistant, Toby has been extremely helpful and understanding as well. McKay Dee Hospital is incredible. Professional, clean and the people who work their seem like they really enjoy their jobs. The price is a complete guess because of multiple procedures spanning a year and a half, and since I may still have additional breast reconstruction revison.

Thank you so much for sharing your journey on RealSelf. Your bravery and openness are much appreciated by many other women. I have heard other women express the need for support during this lonely and challenging time but they also didn't feel like reaching out to support groups. Thank goodness for the internet as online support can be helpful. Thank you for the tips on getting reconstruction...so glad you did it for yourself. Looking forward to your photos. And, most importantly, congratulations on conquering the cancer!