Smiling, Finally!! Renew, New Hope! - Cancun, Mexico

I was in much needed dental work. My dentist...

I was in much needed dental work. My dentist recommended extractions and implants. I consulted difference dentist in the USA, all coincide , more or less, with the treatment I should follow. The only thing that all agree was the outrageous prices. I remember leaving every office crying and trying to figure it out how in the world I was going to come up with that money $57,000. (extractions, 12 implants, bone graft, membrane, abutment, temporary dentures, etc.) Until I hear I could get the same treatment abroad for 70% less. I got into the internet, visited different sites, sent my case to different dental clinics. Finally, my husband and I decided to visit Dental Ocean in Cancún. In August 2013, We decided to fit a visit to Ocean Dental as part of a family/business vacation, I had to visit some land I was offered to sale on the beaches of Campeche as part of my International Real Estate company. We took the kids, packed our suitcases and visited Cancún. Our first trip was consultation, to get a first impression, checked the clinic and doctors, talked with Dr. Gavaldon, and Dr. Caro. From the minute I sent my inquiry, I received a prompt and very professional response from Benny (Travel Coordinator), he asked me my itinerary, arrival time, hotel name for pick up, phone number, etc. I did insist that it was just consultation.
While my kids were at the hotel, my husband and I went to the clinic. We found the clinic small but very clean, with every piece of equipment a dentist needs to perform advance dentistry. I met Dr. Caro and Dr. Gavaldon (both very pleasant, and tremendously professional, great bedside manners) they took X-rays, prints of my teeth, check bite, and Dr. Gavaldon disagree with the dentist in the States in just leaving a couple of teeth, she suggested having all teeth extracted. I had many questions, like who will perform the surgery, what brand of implants and materials will they be using, how long will be the recovery, chances of rejection. Every of my questions were answer, I have the opportunity to talked with some of her patience in the waiting room. One observation, Every patient left the office smiling and happy. They gave me an itemized estimate and with all the information we collected, we decided that this was the best fit for me, and the best hope to finally smile. I don't remember the last time I did.
Once we got home we started working on possible dates we could go back and start the first part of my treatment. We decided January 2014, we set a time to travel and on the 6th, we were flying to Cancún from Minneapolis. Julio (the kind driver) was waiting for us. The next day I was at the clinic, taking more X-rays, impressions of the teeth, the following they they took a scan and panoramic X-rays. We set the surgery with Dr. Murillo (oral surgeon) for Friday the 12th. They did the uppers, extractions, implants, abutment, bone graft, membrane, stitching. He explained to me every step he did, showed me the different implants seal, opened them in front of me, showed me the brand they use MIS. I took 3 1/2 hours. No rush, they took their time and made of something very uncomfortable and painful, very comfortable. I felt good. Dr. Gavaldón worked on the fitting of the new dentures. It was perfect. They both work together really well, you can see the love and pride they have for their work, and how caring they are for their patients.
The first part was done. I went back of Monday and have the same procedure done on the lower. Only this time was more difficult for Dr. Murillo. I still had a wisdom tooth left which had a cyst, that no dentist wanted to touch it in the States. The surgery again was 3 1/2 hours.
I went back 2 more time to have the temporaries fit perfectly. My next visit will be in June to have the second and last part of the treatment done. I am looking forward to.
I am really thankful to Dr. Gavaldón, Dr. Murillo, Dr. Caro, and the support staff, Benny, Julio, Andrés and Martin (finance). Do not be afraid, they will take care of you, they will pick you up, drop you at the airport and hotel or wherever you need to go. They are very kind! I have a new respect for dentist! Thank you for give me back my smile!!!
Mexico Cosmetic Dentist

I am heading there within the next 2 months for stage 1 - dental implants (4) and bone graft. Were you awake for the 3-1/2 hrs or did you opt to be put out?
I was awake thru the entire process, just local anesthesia, that's enough.
This may sound like a silly question -- but do they use anything to keep your mouth propped open? I only ask because when I'm at the dentist - I invariably get a headache if I have to keep my mouth open for so long without one of those 'dental-jacket' thingys to help!
No, I didn't use anything. I don't like those "dental-jackets."
I'm also in need of a major dental work done, I need 7 implants and some other treatments but have no insurance and my credit is score is not in good shape. Fortunately my friend suggested me a dental tourism provider (PlacidWay), who was able to give me a list of trusted dental clinics in Costa Rica. The best way to choose a good dentists is to use a reputable, international medical tourism consultancy. They was able to arrange my accommodation as well as appointment at Davincis Dental Designers Group, and hopefully just like you, it would all turn out great.
Rates. There are many hotel offers.
Was the price $9,900.00 for both upper and lower full denture implants? Does it only take 2 trips to do all this, and how many days? I have had periodontal disease since I was in my 20's and I am 61 now. I don't think it would be a good thing for me at this time to just put in implants as they fall out, not only because of the cost but also because it does not stop the disease.
The price I gave you is just for the first part of the treatment. Yes, it takes 2 trips you can plan during lower season, cheaper to travel. In my case it has taken 3 trips, first to check personally the clinic and have an evaluation and an estimate; the second, to have the extractions, implants, bone graft, membrane, done. The third will be in June to have the permanent zirconia teeth fit into the implants with a titanium bar. I believe the second part is about 12,000. You asked me a very technical question, about your periodontal disease, a dentist can answer you. I am just a happy patient and looking forward to the second part of the treatment in june. I am feeling much better.
Please e-mail again when you get the implants, to let us know how they feel, etc. Did it really hurt to have all your teeth removed at once, and what do they give you for teeth until you have the implants installed? Thanks so much for your input and comments.
I am not going to lie it hurst just a little but it is manageable with some pain medication, anti inflammatory and antibiotics. They use local anesthesia. It last just a couple of days. I was able to eat. I jumped to this opportunity when I saw my mom and my in mother in law in the late 80's getting implants and how much their quality of life has changed.
For 4 months you will be wearing temporary dentures. The extractions and implants were done in 2 days. Uppers one day on Friday, and lowers on Monday. We took 2 weeks, you only need one week.
Thank you for all the information. I will be interested to find out how the implants go, as far as being a perfect fit, and not needing anymore adjusting. I talked to my dentist about it and she said she felt it would be hard if the implant dentures didn't fit correctly and being so far away from the dentist who installed them.
I will let you know. I believed is too early and pessimistic to talk about the dentures not fitting perfectly, in any case, the work is guaranteed. That is another reason I choose Ocean Dental Cancún.
I wasn't trying to be negative, just stating what my dentist is saying. Hopefully everything will go great. It would be interesting to hear from other people who havew had this done, what their experience was.
I am very confident that the fitting will go very well, you have to stay longer, at least 12 working days. Dr. Gavaldón is very skillful, she was trained at the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, where she also taught. She, probably, has done more of these procedures than most dentist I know here. They worked Monday thru Saturday and they take their time. I talked with other patients in the waiting room and everyone has a very positive experience and something good to say. Some of them they go every year for cleanings and check ups.
WOW Sounds great. So when you get the final teeth, you have to be there 12 working days?
Yes, that is the mínimum. You could arrive Sunday and start treatment on Monday. Also, check airfairs and hotels for different days and months to get the lowest
rates and many and great hotel offers. You just need to plan ahead.