Superb Treatment by Caring Individuals - Ocala, FL

Was developing many issues with mobility,...

Was developing many issues with mobility, urination, skin rashes, and deteriorating blood chemistry test results.

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

I was developing a high A1C test indicating the...

I was developing a high A1C test indicating the onset of Diabetes 2. Various weight loss attempts to reduce the pannus were tried including using Victoza and supervised diets and exercise to no avail. Consulting with my Internal Medicine Physician a referral was made to Dr. Nijher for a panniculectomy. The Anesthesiologist was fantastic.

I had no after effects at all other than not remembering a thing once I laid down on the gurney and for the next 24 hours too. I elected to have a pain pump inserted during the procedure which was effective for the next 48 hours. I never really had any severe pain issues. I did use a half dosage of my prescribed narcotic analgesic for the next 2 weeks as it did alleviate the soreness and enabled me to sleep more soundly. The most irritating issues were the wearing of the binder and the inserted drains. Positioning oneself in bed or sitting up was quite limited and very annoying but not painful. I felt incapacitated for about one week, and slowly felt stronger over the next 2-3 weeks. A big improvement came once the drains were removed, and I was almost able to get back to my normal routine.

It has now been 15 weeks post op and I still have residual swelling and edema which stiffens the abdomen, but one can feel the daily improvement and as I was advised could last for 6+ months. In the meantime with the surgery and recent walking exercise I have lost 43 lbs and my recent blood chemistry has shown a normal A1C and a further drop of my cholesterol and lipid levels which were within normal limits to begin with, are now very low. I am now medically and physically in the best condition in years.

Hi there, thanks so much for sharing your experience with us. I'm glad everything worked out well for you. If you don't mind sharing, did you require this surgery because of previous weight loss or have you always had somewhat of a pannus?

Started to develop a pannus in my 30's. Significant weight gain started in my 50's, and it seemed most of that weight was distributed to the pannus. Secondary medical conditions to the pannus developed as I turned 60.

Thanks for sharing. Glad to hear you've lost so much weight and are feeling good, makes it all worthwhile!

Ocala Plastic Surgeon

One can sense the positive, energetic atmosphere as soon as one enters the office of Ocala Surgery. The professional staff along with the ancillary staff are caring and concerned. Dr Nijher is a warm, personable individual who through his training and experience has developed a strong esthetic sensibility used to advise and educate his patients during consultation. All up coming surgical procedures are explained very clearly supplemented with written handouts at your preop appointment. The care and attention you receive on surgery day at Ocala Plastic Surgery's Surgical Facility is amazing unlike the treatment one receives at local hospitals. If one is contemplating surgical procedures, this is the office to consider first as their professionalism and standards of care are superb.