Diet and Exercise are Key! - Oak Brook, IL

I had liposuction done in the love handle area and...

I had liposuction done in the love handle area and lower stomach October 17th 2012 (I am 23 years old, 5'9" and about 155 pounds). I saw major results two days after the surgery yet as of today the love handles came back. I have read I need to wait up to 3 months for major results but the skin that is still swollen is hard. My love handle area is soft as if the swelling is done. I work out 5 days a week and maintain a healthy diet. Am I over reacting? Should I still wait a few more months for results? I paid nearly 5 grand for NO love handles :/

4 months on the 17th, I don't see much change...

4 months on the 17th, I don't see much change still. He suggested a touch up for $400-450. Any suggestions guys? Should I take it to the higher Dr and voice my complaints or just pay that little amount and go with a touch up?

So April 17th will officially be 6 months. After...

So April 17th will officially be 6 months. After nearly 5 grand I have yet to receieve my hourglass figure. The Dr has insisted he can take more fat around my waist for $650.00 total. I am going to do it I have decided. I have attached some photos of my progress so far.

Also to note, I see some days I am flatter than...

Also to note, I see some days I am flatter than others. Does any else have this problem? After an intense work out or even eating red meat the next morning I find myself more swollen than other days. I know I am still swollen some what because when I wear high waisted jeans I see an indent in my waist/belly that lasts for about a day then fades the next morning.

Almost 8 Months

It will be 8 months on June 17th. the truth is ladies we must be patient with this procedure. The more I read on liposuction the more I understand. We are literally having fat sucksed out of our bodies over night. Our body then freaks out and tries to compensate by swelling. My swelling isn't fully over. I sometimes when I wear high waisted jeans there is an indent in my abdomen. Any way here are some photos I am beginning to think I just have a wide pelvis maybe that's why it looks like there are fat pockets around my pelvic bone. I am definitely going to do the touch up probably in September.

9 Months Post Op

Ok so today hits the 9 month anniversery since my plastic surgery. I had lipo done of my love handles and lower abdomen. I saw my PS earlier this week and he informed me he might not be able to take any excessive fat from my hip area. As you can see in the picture there is an obvious bump of fat above my hip/below my waist. I have an appointment to see another PS to see what he thinks. I am beginning to feel this whole procedure was a waste of money. Anyway here is my progress.
Ladies please do your proper research when it comes to these PS. Please keep in mind they do NOT have our best interest in mind. We are a dollar sign to them.
Have a blessed day.

9 months post op

9 months post op

10 Months

Hello beautiful people :)
Today is 10 months exactly. I have a touch up appointment on September 27th and hopefully the Dr. will be able to remove that stubborn muffin top. My body fat % has gone from 26% to 19% which is fantastic but I can't seem to shed the fat around my hip bone. I have uploaded some photos and you can see where I grab the fat so I know it can't be my pelvic bone or muscle. I have an appointment with my PS on Thursday for the final say so if he will remove the fat around my hips. I will keep you wonderful people updated on how it goes.

10 Months

Revision on the 27th!

So I will be having my revision on 9/27/2013. I am excited this round because I know how to deal with the pain, bruising, swelling ect. The 17th of this month will be 11months so far. Crazy how time passes so fast. I will keep this updated with my progession.

1.5 Months after revision

Peace and blessings ladies
I do apologize for not updating my account sooner, I am currently working on my thesis and it is extremely time consuming.
The revision went great! My inches went from 36-30-43 to 34-28-42. I am still working out 5 days a week and eating properly and I am genuinely happy with my results. It has taken a long time but I finally feel like I have my ideal body. Thank you everyone for your positive opinions and support. You are all wonderful! I will update in about a month when everything slows done.

Also

Also.. I bought a proper compression garment and barely saw any swelling. Grant it he used local anesthesia does anyone know if this makes a difference?

2.5 Months Since Revision

I cannot stress how important diet and exercise is ESPACIALLY after any form of cosmetic surgery. It is most important to remain active and keep up a healthy diet in order for your fat to come off and stay off. I can see a dramatic difference since the revision but I have hired a personal trainer and it is unbelievable what a difference it makes. I pray all is well with everyone and remember we must love ourselves first ladies! :)

9 Months Since Revision

Hello Ladies, as the titles states it has been 9 months since my revision and October 2014 will mark two years since the initial surgery. Since then I have hired two personal trainers as well as completely changed my diet and my perception of food.
I know this is super cliche but working out is the best thing for our minds, bodies and souls. I still would have gotten the lipo but the change I have witnessed from working out this past year has helped me understand whatever type of body I want, I can achieve on my own with out filling the pockets of these PS. Anyway I hope you are all blessed and happy with yourselves. As women we must learn to love ourselves regardless because we are the giver of life, and that above is most beautiful.

You look awesome! You killed it at the gym and u can tell. Have you heard of "eat right for your blood type"? It's a science and it's helping me. For example. I'm type AB, the rarest only 2% of the pop has it. I can not break down red meat or chicken and it gets stored as fat on my body, crazy because people think chicken is so healthy but it's poison for me. My blood type has low stomach acid content so I thrive on veggies. However, type A thriveson red meat.
My mother was telling me about that this past weekend. I am sorry you have to deal with that on a day to day level. Hopefully you have a good doctor that can properly watch your blood levels. Wishing you the best!
Your stomach looks gorgeous! You look great!
Thank you for your kind words! God bless beautiful :)
What a difference, you awesome.
So happy the revision worked for you. I have the same results as u had with lipo. I am two months out and do have a great waist but hard and lumpy abdominal. Eat right, swim an hour a day, do lymphatic message, self messages, and Epsom salt compresses. It stays the same, I am hoping it reverses its self. From the side I think I look bigger than before, jeans fit the sa me or tighter. Well, continued good luck.
Hi! I'm glad that you took my comment the way that I intended it. I meant to be positive and supportive in my comment and had no intention of sparking any sort of controversy on your blog. It's a FACT that surgery has helped to improve your curves, and the TRUTH that if you continue to watch what you eat that you'll control weight gain, and it has been PROVEN that if you weight train and exercise your figure will continue to improve and you'll obtain what we all hope for : to age gracefully.
I notice improvement from each picture to the next. It didn't seem like you needed it but afterwards you can tell.
Thank you! I think we are all perfectionists in our own ways ;)
You look awesome. Thin, but still curvy. i agree that people should use this procedure as motivation to further their physical fitness, figure, and self esteem. Really don't understand the people that keep talking about how bad they are going to look when they gain weight and wear the fat is going to go to. Really, if you plan to put on weight maybe surgery isn't the way to go.
I don't understand your comment here. People are talking about the fact that this type of procedure causes certain biological events that have been proved to happen. The fat WILL go other places. People don't plan on putting on weight after this procedure; I'm not sure why you would say that. As a matter of fact, I think spending the money on the personal trainer and healthy food diet first would be a better investment. This surgery is marketed as the 'end result' of all those things, not a 'motivating factor' to lose weight and increase physical fitness. In fact the depression and pain this procedure can cause will ruin a person's physical fitness and self-esteem. Please look up the studies that show this (and more are actually coming out pretty soon). And just as a final note, I see that you are a "RealFriend" and I think as such you might want to understand *every* RS user, not just certain ones. Just a thought.
True. The fat will redistribute. Who's comment were you referring to? I've lost 10 pounds since this journey and it's important that I bring out that fact. Without weight loss and exercise, results are skewed. Side note, the RealFriend label comes from this site, based on the reviews we post. It's not something we chose. Each review is based on ones personal experience and should not be taken as medical advice as everyone's experience is different.
CarsonisMe's comment was very positive and kind. My procedure helped me jump start my healthy lifestyle, as opposed to what you have stated as an "end result". I believe CarsonisMe meant many individuals stop working out or monitoring their caloric intake with the hopes that liposuction keeps the weight off, which we all very well know is not the case. And may I ask how sure you are this RealFriend does not connect with all of the users? none of us on this website are aware of others intentions. CarsonisMe simply posted her opinion and a sincere compliment. Perhaps if we all focused on being a more positive force to one another we would all be happier. I hope you find your own sense of happiness and thank you for taking the time to post a comment :)
Right! No one has to have this procedure if they're not comfortable with it. This procedure has re shaped me in a way that diet and exercise alone could not do. When I lost weight in the past I lost my boobs and butt too. So I used surgery to target my fat stomach and thick thighs. I also lose muscle when I diet which created the 'skinny fat' look with loose skin. Now I'm more proportioned.
I am referring to CarsonisMe. I do understand the "Real Friend" designation; however tone and content are considered when they choose who they will use with this designation. It's a subtle thing. I certainly would never take any review as 'medical advice'. BUT some people WILL take it as representative advice. My point is that this advice is not only uninformed but it is not scientifically supported. The problem with liposuction also involves a bit of a subtle understanding. If a person has a set point of weight (scientifically supportive) and she gets liposuction, she will then not only have to support that set point weight level, but she will have to actually under-nourish herself (starve) in order NOT to get weight gain and fat redistribution. Of course that is impossible with aging and fat redistribution will occur. If you have a missed spot where the doc didn't properly remove fat (with artistic skill) then that spot will bulge outward. It will happen within a year. So if we are told: this is only for removing stubborn pockets, and we believe it, then find that all of a sudden other areas of our bodies begin to grow (without weight gain)...then that's a huge problem. I'm sorry you can say everyone's experience is different, but if you said that about tobacco smoking you would not be listened to. Because overall I think you would find population demographics. Studies show that.
Well I think that the phrase "positive support" is an interesting way to put it. I believe it is positive support to point people towards scientific evidence an other people's experiences as positive. Now if you said: "Pollyanna support" then I would agree. I don't mean to argue or fight, I am just giving you my viewpoint. I believe that 'truth' is positive. And "support" means giving a person the truth and helping that person deal with the truth (good/bad/neutral). And you sort of make my point~ we are not aware of other's intentions so we have to make sure we align ourselves with science and meta-analysis of long term results. I'm sorry but being 'happier' in the moments based on website interactions are fairly meaningless, because two months from now such an interaction could be lost in period of despair over bad surgical results. But getting the real statistics and real results and human stories out into the cyber-realm is the one thing that could avoid trauma and improve the potential for happiness. The RealFriend thing, in my opinion, if it is allowed, is a marketing tactic. I am educated in this field, so... Also the person is given sample and other benefits for remaining 'upbeat' and 'positive'. Not disparaging that person but it's not an essentially critical opinion; more like a back massage.
I understand but your experience is unique to you. Plus she did say that people need to diet and exercise. We each have our own blog to express our own opinions. I'm sorry that you're not happy but please let others be happy and don't bash them for not having the negative experience that you did.
Spycegrl~ I am not 'bashing' anyone. Please do not label me because that's not supportive of me. My original comment was not to you; piling on reminds me of being unsupportive in a certain king of way. And my original comment was in response to Carsonisme's question/comment: I really don't understand .... I was giving scientific information so that people who read that will not feel as though *they* are unsupported, and that bad results that she discussed are their own fault; even though that is not true. So 1) don't tell me I am bashing someone when I clearly was not, that is a loaded term. 2) I am not disallowing others to be happy; how could words I say disallow someone's feelings? 3) don't tell me I am trying to hurt other people because I had a bad experience. I am doing quite the opposite. 4) how about being supportive of *everyone*; I thought that's what RealFriends did?
"You do need to decrease your total calorie consumption (or exercise more) after liposuction to account for the volume of fat that was removed in order to maintain results. A pound of body weight roughly equals 3500 calories, and one liter of fat weighs a little less than 2 pounds." -- Doctor quote. Of at least as much concern as the long-term fat regrowth in untreated areas is the possible nerve damage, fascia damage, long-term complications from scar tissue, loose skin, and the need for multiple, costly, risky revision surgeries. Fat regrowth is scientifically proven in studies with humans and animals; it may not be apparent for over a year, and the fat may regrow viscerally and in unwanted places. Since this is a public website and potential patients are reading these reviews, I think it is helpful for people who have had adverse results to share their experience and to be received in a positive way. I learned more about long-term results from those who are a year or more out from any surgery (including any revision surgeries). In the case of breast augmentations, complications can show up years later. My understanding is that building/maintaining muscle and eating a long-term lifestyle diet is the best way to achieve long-term health. People with injuries or excess skin would seem to be the most challenged in these regards.
I had Lipo done over a year ago and I have lost an additional 11 pounds through exercise. No parts of my body has grown abnormally. I am sure age and overall health definitely matter in these circumstance. I am sorry about what happened to you. I wish you the best!
I apologze that was the incorrect response to your comment. I meant to send that to sundog. I'd like to pm and hear more about what you have uncovered in regards to long term positive results. I saw your profile and you have asked very important questions and I am eager to hear what you have found!
Yep! The weight does need to have some place to go. The excess calories will need to be burned or stored. There are many blogs full of revisions and adverse reactions., including mine. I have had revisions due to improperly trained doc performing my first procedure. I have had thighs, flanks and abs done but still lost 10 pounds after. Anyone considering this surgery should read the physician forums in addition to the individual blogs to get an idea of what could happen. I just think it's unfair to tell people what they should or should not say if it's their personal experience. I did have one bad experience but I don't negate the opinions of those who say theirs was great. The issue is not whether of not there are side effects. All surgeries have side effects. Not to mention some people were bad candidates to begin with and probably shouldn't have had it done. Some people are better candidates for a tummy tuck. If someone has a ton of loose skin they probably should have had a tummy tuck. I'm probably one of them...,
You look fantastic! I had my procedure done almost 10 weeks ago, so not happy with my results.
Revision looks great.....
You look great! The compression garment definitely makes a difference in swelling. Also, the amount of work you have done.