9 Months After LASEK - No Complaints - New York, NY

Hello, I got LASEK surgery done on April 1st,...

Hello,

I got LASEK surgery done on April 1st, 2010.

My original prescription was right eye: -7.00, left -6.50, no astigmatism on any eye. I'm 27. I have had glasses since I was 11 and had been wearing soft contact lens since I was 16 for the last 10 years.

Prior to my surgery, when I went for the initial check-up, the fellow doctor performed a through checkup that included a prescription test, slit test, tear quality, dilation drops, dominant eye with vision machines located in 3 rooms, and others. However all in all, nothing too scary – all straight forward eye tests. They answered all my questions and put me to ease on each of my queries related to LASEK and eye surgery which put me at ease and prompted me to schedule my surgery date.

Since the surgery, I've had 5 visits to the Doctor, the post surgery 1 day, 1 week, 1 month, 2 month and 3 month checkups. During each of those visitations, the fellow doctors and staff checked the medicines, drops and tablets that I was taking, the schedule that I was taking them in and also when my next visit was. Every visit, they were ready for me, wait time was nothing over 5-10 minutes, they performed the required tests, made minor adjustments to dosages to help the healing process. I did everything they asked me to the letter and I can see the benefits of that first hand. It did take a little longer than what they said initially. But I guess that varies from patient to patient. For me, it took around 6-8 weeks for me to read easily without any trouble.

Honestly, I couldn't be happier with LASEK. I can see in the shower and read with no difficulty. I still use sunglasses on sunny days to protect my eyes from the sun and drops throughout the day to keep my eyes hydrated, but otherwise no glasses or contact lenses for the first time since I was 11. Every time I hydrate, I can see a little bit better so I think there’s still some improvement left. However coming from -7.00 to 20/20 vision, I am more than happy. If it gets better than this I will be thrilled.

Thank you Dr. and staff for your help and support.

New York Ophthalmologist

- Very experienced doctor with over 12,000 surgeries - Knowledgable doctors who will answer yur every question - Helpful and polite staff - Nice discounts and good payment plans available

Hi Abhijeth -- Welcome to RealSelf's laser eye surgery community. Thanks so much for writing such a detailed, helpful review. Do you happen to know why hydrating your eyes makes them a bit better?

Hello Sharon,

I've worn contacts for over 10 years for 12 to 14 hours a day and also usually after surgery, due to the inflammation, the eyes tend to become drier. If left untreated, this condition can lead to pain, scars on the cornea, and some loss of vision. However, permanent loss of vision from dry eye is uncommon.

One way to improve on this would be to increase the tear production of your eyes by using doctor recommended drops. I used Restasis for increasing tear production and Refresh drops to keep them hydrated. As my eyes improved the tear production, my eyesight got better and better. More information is available here:

Hope this helps,

Abhijeth Manohar

Thanks! That's really helpful. I'm still wearing glasses (for now) but I've been entertaining the idea of laser eye surgery for a few years now. All the positive stories make me jealous. :)

Hi Abhijeth, How is your eye sight now? I am very hesitant about getting laser eye surgery. My husband does not want me to do it but I really can't stand wearing glasses. I used to wear contacs for 12 to 16 hours a day but then I got an eye infection and have to wear my glasses ever since because my contacs hurt my eyes when I wear them for more than 10 hours. Please tell me how your post surgery experience is so far. Are you still putting drops in your eyes and feeling dryness or any blurriness/issues?