Awful - New York City

I had this procedure ten years ago for acne scars...

I had this procedure ten years ago for acne scars in New York City. If you have done a lot of research on fat injections, you probably know the doctor's name but I do not feel comfortable naming him here. Apparently he has a number of disgruntled former patients who have posted on the web, and I really don't want to get involved in that. I just want to share my experience with the treatment in general.

It was horrendous. Pain was not too bad but recovery time--ugh. I had a horribly misshapen face for at least six weeks afterward. When I called my doctor four days after the surgery to see if I could come in so he could check on whether my swelling was normal (there was so much of it) he said no, that I should go to the emergency room if I had a problem. My face finally did get back to mostly normal, though the fat injections puffed out the lower part of my face for several years afterward. And the acne scars? The fat did nothing for them. I highly advise against this procedure. It sounds great in theory, but even if you go to the so-called best in the field, it's very unpredictable.

The lumps on both sides of my face haven't changed. They are still prominent when the filler goes away. I went to a wonderful doctor in Chicago who gave me filler and he did a great job. I feel much better.
Had any of the fat stayed with your or did EVERYTHING disappear?
Hi 688365anon,
I'm glad to hear that you are doing well.I also had a terrible experience six years ago. Now I have lumps on both sides of my face which look like I'm swollen from dental surgery. I subsequently had filler, which helped, especially on one side. The other side is deformed. Hopefully, others will read what we wrote and avoid making the same mistake.
I'm so sorry to hear that SJM. Yes, I hope other people do their due diligence here at Real Self and other sites. I would note that the internet wasn't really a resource for these types of reviews when we had our procedures, so it's not fair to blame ourselves. I'm sure you went into it hoping for the best and seeking the most qualified doctor possible.

I hope time has lessened the emotional pain and I'm glad you have had some relief through temporary fillers. One thing I have learned through my acne scar odyssey (and which you probably already know) is that we are our own worst critics, and what seems like a terrible flaw to us is something others don't even notice because they focus on the whole picture. I don't know about you, but I was always so busy focusing on this imperfection or that one, that I never could see my "whole face". I hope that makes sense.

Very best wishes to you.

Hi 688365anon,

I'm sorry you had a not very great experience. As it has been sometime now, how are you doing? Did you end up having anything done afterwards to see if it could help?

Thanks for your review,

-Britt

Hi Britt--yes, it was not a great experience to say the least! Thank you for asking. The negative effects--swelling, overcorrection--did go away with time. I even rented this special machine the doctor recommend to decrease swelling (it cost thousands of dollars). In the ensuing years, I tried every temporary injectable for my scars, including radiesse, juvederm, etc, and nothing has worked as well as Silikon 1000 (done by an expert--Dr. Channing Barnett in NYC). One thing that stayed with me was the awful experience with the doctor--he was so unkind, even before the procedure which I should've taken as a warning. But I kept thinking, "If it's this difficult and expensive, surely it must work." Wrong! Silikon has been the least painless, most rewarding thing I've ever done--the complete opposite of the fat grafting experience. So, live and learn! :) Thanks again for your concern.

Of course! Our readers are what make us who we are, and through your experiences we get to know you, so of course we are concerned. :)  I was actually going to ask you if you would do a review on Silikon 1000 and then so you did so thank you for that. I'm glad everything is better and you are doing well. Please keep us updated.

Thank you and all the best!

-Britt