Revision Rhinoplasty 33/female – New York, NY

I have never written a review for anything before,...

I have never written a review for anything before, and I never imagined THIS would be what I'd be reviewing. But I really have to give credit where it's due, and Dr. Slupchynskyj deserves it. This board and the people who share their experiences here have been a great resource for me, so I wanted to share my experience too.

I had three rhinoplasty surgeries over the past seven years before meeting with Dr. Slupchynskyj in September of 2013. I had extensive damage to the structure of my nose. I was very scared of undergoing another surgery, but after several lengthy consultations with Dr. Slupchynskyj I decided he was the right person for the job.

My primary rhinoplasty was done by a surgeon who also performed breast augmentations, liposuction, and any other body procedure you could imagine. He was not a facial/rhinoplasty specialist. This was a big mistake on my part. I wound up with an over-resected nose and a collapsed tip. My two "revisions" did little aesthetically except to traumatize my nose further, and give me a slight pollybeak deformity, and also increase the bulbous tip. My appearance didn't change drastically to others, but to me it was unacceptable.

For this fourth (and LAST) procedure, I had consultations with several rhinoplasty specialists in NYC. The general consensus was that I shouldn't expect much in terms of change. I had very little cartilage remaining in my septum as much of it had been removed, and even with multiple rib/ear grafts (which were suggested by each and every surgeon) it would not be likely that I'd be pleased with the results. There was almost a somber feeling to each these visits, kind of like like my nose was dead. I brought pictures of people whose noses were somewhat similar to mine but more refined and was almost instantly told they were not realistic. Even the computer imaging wasn't promising.

The last surgeon I met with was Dr Slupchynskyj. I figured he'd say the same thing I'd been hearing from the others but he didn't. He didn't tell me that he could fix every issue I had and give me a perfect nose. But he did tell me that he was confident that a major improvement could be made. I showed him the pictures I brought with me, and he told me some of them were absolutely realistic. Rather than pointing out how low I should set the bar, his opinion was that it could made much better. The computer imaging he did for me seemed a little too good to be true but he told me it was realistic. He suggested using a small custom made silastic implant on the bridge, and using ear cartilage in the tip. The implant scared me a little at first, and everyone has an opinion about it, but after some thought I decided I was comfortable with doing it so I agreed.

I came in three more times and asked the same questions over and over. He was patient and answered them all over and over. He didn't rush me. He told me to come back whenever I was ready. A month later I did.

I could talk about his demeanor and how nice he was but none of that really matters. What matters is that not only did he make my nose better...he made my nose beautiful. It's subtle but makes such a difference. It is what I asked for. It looks very much like the computer imaging he did before the surgery. I actually like the nose he gave me more than some of the pictures I showed him.

As for the surgery itself, from what I can remember before my "nap" the anesthesiologist was excellent. I'm not good with the needle part but she was very gentle. When I woke up and well into the next day I actually looked OK. No bruising which was surprising because I usually bruise easily. But day two it hit me like a ton of bricks - I was absolutely hideous for the next three weeks. I had extreme bruising all over my eyes and looked much worse than most of people posting their post op pictures on here, but revisions are harder to recover from, and he did extensive work on my nose. It eventually all went away. I also swelled in the bridge for a few weeks but that has gone down too.

Dr. Slupchynskyj asked me if he could use my before/after pictures on his website, and it's a shame because the pictures are impressive and really speak volumes to the caliber of his work...but I'm not comfortable having them online. I will post a few here, but if you're considering having surgery with him and you'd like to see my photos, I can share them in a private message.

Lastly I'll mention that the staff is very good. Jana the coordinator is very personable and easy to work with as is Maddie the nurse. They're nice, friendly people and I like chatting with them when I'm there.

Good luck!!
New York Facial Plastic Surgeon

I found Dr. Slupchynskyj to be confident without being arrogant. He listened to me He was patient, listened to all my concerns and was available to answer all my last minute pre-op questions. He was also available after the surgery. He was very good with my the day of my surgery. I was panicking and he was very reassuring and calmed me down. He's very professional and my experience with him was excellent.

I am African and I plan to see him for my 3rd revision please share with me ur pix Lajoie2287@hotmail.fr Tnx das will mean a lot for me
dont go find someone else he will leave you with scar
sad1358 Did you have surgery with Dr. Slupchynskyj?
Hi Angy I will send you some. He did not leave me with any visible scars by the way.
Beautiful, before and after!
Hey girl, I got all your pics you emailed me. Thanks so much and I replied but havent heard back yet. Did you get my reply? Hope all is well.
I have been thru pretty much the same kind of trauma with my nose. I've had three open rhinoplasties and one closed rhinoplasty. My nose is now way too small for my face. I absolutely hate it and I look completely different then I did before. I've been so depressed, embarrassed, and have so much resentment for myself and my poor decision making. I've been seach for a talented revision rhinoplasty surgeon who came help me to achieve an attractive nose similar to yours. Your doctor must be very talented to build such a beautiful nose. Do you think I can see more of your before and after pictures of different angles of your nose?I really appreciate you telling your story because it inspired me to have hope with finding a great surgeon that can build me a beautiful nose.
Thank you so much for posting your review! Your nose looks amazing! OMG! I want my nose to look like yours! Wow, your surgeon did a great job! It gives me hope in that I too can have results like yours since we both seem to have similar issues with our noses and thick skin. Its just a matter of finding the right surgeon.
Hey Miss Kitty! Thank you :) I don't know how my surgeon would be for different people but he was the definite right choice for me. For what it's worth I chose him because he does a lot of ethnic rhinoplasty if you check his website it's literally dedicated to "African American rhinoplasty." I am Caucasian but I have traits of a commonly found in different ethnicities (thicker skin etc) so that was actually why I went to him, because of being told so many times that my thick skin was the problem. He didn't seem too concerned with it because I guess he is used to working with this type of skin. Anyway maybe in looking for a surgeon near you, you could do what I did and seek out surgeons who are more familiar with ethnic rhinoplasty as well since we have thicker skin. If you ever come to NYC I'd definitely recommend my surgeon for a consult. He's expensive but in my opinion worth it. And lastly....you're gorgeous and will be regardless of what you do even if it's nothing. Good luck and please keep us posted! :)
Hey girl, Ive got a consultation booked for April with a surgeon. He has really good reviews and alot of the people who went to my original surgeon have gone to him for revisions with great success. So Im excited to see what he has to say. If I lived near NYC or had the extra money to fly there and stay for a week I would so consider going to your surgeon. I love how defined your nose looks and how your tip looks now. I might actually take in your pictures and show them to the surgeon in my consult as your nose is a perfect image of how I want mine to look. You are really pretty too by the way! Ill be sure to ask in my consult how often he does ethnic rhinoplasty. I was talking with another woman on here who was told the same thing. That her skin is thicker like Mediterranean skin and so the implant that was originally used does not support her tip and her nose is rejecting it because its the wrong implant for her skin type. I feel that was has happend to me. So yes, choosing a surgeon that is really skilled in dealing with different ethnicity's and people with thicker skin is who I need to help me. :) I will be sure to let you know how it goes and please do the same. I really hope your nose stays just how it is :)
Thank you :) It sounds like you're going about this the right intelligent way which is so important! (please excuse my long rambling comments I have an hour commute and this is how I've been occupying myself!) Good luck at your consult!
I liked your nose before, but I can see it was too small for your face.
Thanks for your comment Vee. I thought so too. Although the thought of having a bigger nose freaked me out at first! But I think it's more proportionate to my face now.
its definitely more proportionate. The biggest mistake we make is that we want a smaller nose. Can I have your email? I took your photo to photoshop I wanted to show you what I think is the perfect profile, or am I just going to cause too much mess if I send it?
Your profile looks really good! So pretty!
Thank you Sandome!
I like your new nose, although you were beautiful before, it has that "operated look"...and now it looks so natural, before it was too short.
Thats how I feel. Looking natural took a lot of work. Kind of like putting on a full face of makeup to look like we are not wearing makeup but we just woke up with perfect skin and no dark circles under or eyes!
Yep!
Like the previous poster, I also think your before profile was beautiful. Your after is amazing too. Congrats!
Thank you Zooster. I'll post some more photos that will give you a better idea of the issues I had with my nose. Thanks again for the kind words!
I honestly don't think you needed a revision rhinoplasty... but even so, you look absolutely stunning after and thank you for sharing. I'm going to consider this surgeon for myself.
Thank you Indigo! The view I was most unhappy with was head on, and I will post some more photos of different angles so you can see what I mean. As for whether I needed it or not...that's a whole different story. The few family members I told were horrified that I was doing this again. But I was really unhappy with how I looked, especially in pictures. It was a personal thing for me - I wanted a certain aesthetic and Dr. Slupchynskyj was able to give it to me. Anyway I am not insecure about my nose anymore which I never thought I'd say, and that's worth it's weight in gold to me. Feel free to ask me any questions and I wish you all the best of luck!
You look great.