Active 50 Y/O Male Using Vaser Liposuction To Improve Belly / Love Handles - New York, NY
I'm hoping that this write-up / ongoing journal...
I have always been in decent shape, but the years have brought a little wiggle to my sides and belly that didn't seem to want to go away. I wasn't looking for a body builder physique, just something that would look good at the pool / beach. I was also noticing that my pant size was sneaking forward a few notches and was ideally looking to improve the way I look in clothes.
I have been going through a few different exercise / dieting programs with decent results - losing 20-30 pounds, but my handles remained so I considered the possibility of plastic surgery after meeting a surgeon at an unrelated event.
As I researched my options, I uncovered "cool sculpting" which seemed to be a in-expensive option, non-intrusive, fast recovery, with decent results. I set up a few consults and spoke to a surgeon about what he recommended.
Interestingly, while he did the cool sculpting, he did not recommend it for me for the following reasons:
- Cool sculpting will provide elimination of 15-25% of fat in a region - usually after a 60-90 day period.
- According to to the doctor, many people that do cool sculpting, end up doing it again -- now you're typically only going to get 15-25% of the remaining 75-85%.
- You're paying per application and with the multiple applications, the cost differential becomes less and less. Realistically, cool sculpting could have been more if there were 5-6 areas and you did it 2 (or even three times).
- While the recovery seemed easier with cool sculpting, the time to see the results was longer.
Instead, he recommended I consider Vaser Lipsosuction of my flanks & belly for the following reasons:
- I'd expect to see 75-80% remove of fat in the areas
- While it would be a slightly more painful (and intrusive) procedure and recovery, the results would be more noticeable faster
- He also felt I was just a better candidate for it. Cool sculpting is really best for people that want to do "something", but want to be back on their feet / the gym / etc. in 1-2 days.
After some consideration, I decided to go with the Vaser Lipo at a cost of $7200 - $5000 to the surgeon and $2200 to the location.
The procedure took ~3 hours and I was walking with a small amount of pain on the way home. First few days were "recovery days" that went relatively well as I kept the kept the compression bandages on.
Few thoughts on this:
- I took some pain medication, but not a lot. After 2-3 days, I've stopped taking it altogether.
- Not a lot of pain standing up or even lying down. Getting in and out of a bed, a chair, or a couch is a different story. Needed help to get up for the first few days (or rolled out of bed), but things have got much better.
- For those that don't know, lipo is not a weight reducer. If anything, after having lost the weight, even with the 6 pounds of fat that was removed, I weight 7 pounds more the day after surgery and I've continued my Paleoish diet. The doctor told me that this was expected and the water retention will go away.
- Minor "seepage" problems that were strange the first day, but stopped by the second.
- I was able to take the bandages off and shower on the second day. Personally, I thought the results were very noticeable already - not unrealistic, but noticeable.
- I do think it will eventually be worth the pain and cost.
I'll provide more updates once I have a chance to get some pictures online, but I wanted to capture some thoughts now and use this as a journal of sorts.
So far, he's been very good. I thought his approach as I was considering things was not pushy, but helpful and consultative. On the day of the surgery, he kind of zipped in, spoke to me before the procedure, and zipped out before I had fully woken up, but he called me the day after to see how I was doing. I had a question come up about the seepage on the weekend, called his service, and he called me back almost immediately. I'll see how things go as I go for my follow-ups.