Asymmetry After Upper Blepharoplasty

I recently got upper eyelid surgery about 3 1/2...

I recently got upper eyelid surgery about 3 1/2 months ago. Over time the swelling decreased but my right eyelid is noticeably higher. My eyelids were not like this before. Surgeons says no eyes are symmetrical but they are at least CLOSE. I feel mine are not and I'm not satisfied. I paid 5,000 dollars and not for this. I am hearing to get a brow lift to fix this...will that correct it? Or over time will they even out at least a little bit? What should I do? It's hard not to worry when you look at them every day! Any help?

Updated on Feb 15, 2010:
Do I need a revision or brow lift after my upper eyelid surgery?

Updated on Jul 20, 2010:
A year later and I am satisfied with my result. Once the swelling is gone you can see your final result

Updated on Jul 20, 2010:
A tip: Post-surgery don't use eye makeup or contacts for awhile because if you do this the swelling will go down SO MUCH FASTER! I did this and my swelling went down right away! In the beginning of my post-op I used eye makeup and wore my contacts all the time and my swelling just never went down. It wasn't until about a month ago that I went to the eye doctor and he told me my contacts were causing swelling underneath the lids. I stopped wearing them immediately and didn't wear any eye makeup for about a month. The swelling is now GONE and I can finally see what my eyes were meant to look like. You will only see your final result once the swelling is completely gone---your lids heal faster if you do this trust me!

Updated on Oct 13, 2010:
1 year 3 months late~ lids are pretty much healed all the way-I haven't noticed much of a difference since 3 months ago but they may still be healing! Scars are gone and there is no irritation regarding the surgery. Thank you all SO much for the supportive comments! If you have any other questions let me know I'd be happy to answer them!

I'm okay with my eyes now, I am happy with my...

I'm okay with my eyes now, I am happy with my result. The first review I wrote was out of frustration because at the time my eyelids were uneven only because one lid was healing faster than the other. They are even now. But having patience helps I expected my final result in about a month and it takes about a full year (depending on the person) to fully heal. Of course there are ways for it to heal faster(no contacts/eye makeup) but each lid heals at different paces and I know that now. Be patient!

Not completly satisfied.

I am 2 months post-eyelid surgery and have been so concerned about how asymmetrical my eyes appear. My right eye looks significantly larger and more open than my left. I am so glad you updated your review after a year to let readers know that your eyes evened out and that you were ultimately happy with your result. Gives me much hope and courage to "stay calm and carry on."

Hi SL55 -- Just wondering if you'd like us to change your review to "Worth It" now that you're pleased with your results, or do you think the surgery was more trouble than it's worth?

I would definitely say worth it :) I am much happier with my results then when I started this so yes you can change it!

Yay! Glad to hear you're happy with the final result. I've changed your review too, so it says "Worth It".

Thanks for posting an update on your results. I am having upper eyelid surgery in 5 days. I had a facelift, browlift, fat transfer back in November. From that experience I know it takes a long time to heal. I am glad that you are happy with the results.
Thanks Tom. and honestly at the Original poster i don't see much of a difference at all between the 6th month and 1 year, maybe because I am not extremely meticulous but I already saw good results with my eyelid surgery at about 2 months and I didn't care anymore because I was happy at that point. granted I'll need a ptosis repair because my levator slipped on its own but other than that eyelid surgery usually achieves good results.

Stague has updated her review to let all know she's happy with the outcome.  Congrats Stague and thank you for taking us through your journey.

wtf? your eyes look even to me, what are you talking about look uneven?
you look gorgeous, not the fake makeup teen gorgeous but naturally gorgeous, you are so lucky you dont need makeup at all!!!
ur eyes looked jsut as good before but yes they look great now omg ur so young
Your eyes look great. Your right brow is a shade lower than the left but it is so small it is non noticeable by anyone other than a plastic surgeon! I would leave it alone
i still think your results are mazing, you are very pretty, before and after...

congrats on ending up with a happy result (at long last!).  Should we make your review reflect "Worth it"?

they look good now but they were pretty before. You're right... it changed your whole look. But both looks are nice. Lucky you. :)
They look great...don't mess with them anymore.
they look really good
You have a really nice result. Get some eyeliner and mascara on and show them off! You are way to young for a brow lift- don't do it.
You look amazing. Try as I might, I couldn't see any asymetry. You had a very good result, please don't have any more surgery. I think this is all in your head.
holy crap I LOVE your results..if i got that done and my results looked like yours I would do it in a heart beat..your eyes are cute and amazing.
i had the same problem and still do to a certain extent.if you look closely at your previous that eye was always slightly higher but cos of the skin that used to cover it you never noticed it.i hope your happy with the end result, i was only 24 wen had them done, now 26 and still cant recognise myself fully.we have to move on.
Your eyes look gorgeous!
Thanks for sharing these pictures, your eyes look really beautiful.
Oh thank you so much for your reply. I will try and post some photos and you will see what I mean. My eyelids were like yours - didn't show at all and I really wanted the eyelids to show (that's why I think yours look fabulous!). In fact the first night after surgery I thought that would be a good indication of how I would look in future as they were swollen and looked more like yours but then the next morning the reaction was horrific - and I feel that maybe that spoilt things for my eyes as they seem lumpy (especially my right eye) along the scar line. I had dissolving stitches. The other thing I have thought about is that I had botox in my forehead (for excessive sweating) and also in between my brows (frown lines) and I'm wondering if that could've had an impact on pushing or puffing my lids down? Anyway I will try and get some photos on so you can see what I mean. It's so hard to not keep looking at them - it does drive me crazy 'cause I get up each day and hope there's a big difference and everyday there is a tiny change but not the way I would like! Cheers Sharon (I'm in Melbourne, Australia)
Wow thank you everyone for the supportive comments! Maybe I have been going crazy for a little while-constantly looking at my eyes. I think because it's such a MASSIVE change to my appearence I'm just not used to it. There is a slight asymmetry but I'm probably the only one who is noticing it...I just have to adjust and get used to it. I definetly agree that they look better than before. Once again I thank you guys your comments have really helped me realize that I need to relax...and made me feel much better. I'll probably post another picture since my eyes I feel are still changing each day. The pro to my surgery was that I was in NO pain at all just a little uncomfortable...I know a lot of people who went through painful eyelid surgeries. Just a lot of swelling -and havig patience is a MUST because I expected my final result after 2 weeks (thats what they tell you) but it's not true. My eyes look completley different from the beginning of the recovering process. My eyes have contiually been changing month after month-Thanks everyone!
Hi there, I have been searching everywhere to see photos other than on cosmetic websites to view real results and I found yours and I must say I think your eyes look absolutely fantastic. You lucky thing having lovely big eyelids (something I've dreamed about all my life!). I wouldn't be worrying one single minute - they look just gorgeous. I had blepharoplasty on my upper lids in November and I had the worst allergic reaction ever - my eyes blew up so much that one closed and the other I could hardly see out of and had to go to GP and got Prednisolone to reduce the swelling. The surgeon says he thinks it was a reaction to the chlormycetin ointment he'd prescribed. Anyway it took weeks to go down. It is now 8 weeks since surgery and I feel like you not really happy with the result (I really wanted to be able to see my eyelids (just like yours) and I can't see much difference to be quite honest. What I would like to know is when could you see a real difference in the size of your eyelids - was that straight away? I know I have to be patient but I really expected my eyelids to show so much more - like yours! I would be very interested to hear from you in this regard. If I knew how to send photos through here I would. You are very lucky to have such a fantastic outcome. Cheers