Rhinoplasty for Crooked Nose - Novi, MI

I've just had a consultation for a Rhinoplasty,...

I've just had a consultation for a Rhinoplasty, having broken my nose 8 years ago. I had a consultation in Novi, Michigan at the Star Plastic Surgery Centre with Dr. Elan Reisin. This is something I've wanted to do ever since my nose was broken, but only now am I at a point in my life where I'm ready. Has anyone else had this same procedure done and what were there results like? How much time will I need off work?

Deposit done!

I've paid my deposit at Star Plastic Surgery in Novi, Michigan, so it's official that I'm having it done. I'm not nervous yet, as I'm waiting until the Spring to have it done, I'm just concerned about how much down time I'll need. I'm planning to take a week off of work and after that I'll have to use concealer...

11 more days!!

I'm sorry I haven't been on in so long, but my surgery got pushed back. My surgery is booked for Monday, July 28th. My Dr. is doing a closed Rhinoplasty (meaning he won't be cutting open the bottom of my nose and peeling back). He's going to shave done the "spur" on one side and try to push out the side that has collapsed in. He may even have to do a skin graft to help support. He told me to be realistic about my expectations. He said it wouldn't be 100% perfect. I had been taking lots of Vitamin C and my daily vitamins but have had to cut all of that out. Not allowed to take ANY vitamins because they may cause blood thinning :( Any advice on thinks to do to prevent bruising/swelling?
Dr. Elan Reisen

I can't wait to see your post op pics pretty !
Hey miss! Don't forget to update eh. I know your rhinoplasty is sometime this month.. I'm counting on you cause we have the same nose! Hope it goes well
hey thanks for sharing on real self. I am just dicovering this commuinity for rhinoplasty. I am thinking of the same procedure. The right side of my face seems slightly under developed and my nose is crooked like yours. I hate taking having my pictures taken from that angle or haveing people looking at me from that view. I seriously look so different went viewing a picture or looking in the mirror at my left side, my good side. I have been looking into why my face seems to different on one side. It is more noticable in pictures, noneless I can definitely see the difference why looking in the mirror. anyways I realized my lower jaw is titled slightly to the left, its higher on that side and as for the right when viewing my profile there isnt a distinct jaw line which adds to that side looking weird. everything on that side is slightly off. The bone structure on that side isnt as defined and refined as my better left side.There are a few deformities that cause this. It can happen over time or at birth. As for my nose. It is crooked and leans more to the left, my good side. I only take pictures from that side, barely showing my right and I look decent. But for some reason, the side my nose leans too, the left, on that side the wall of my nose leading to my check is much more concave than on the right. its so weird! noticing all these littles abnormalities makes me feel a little crazy, as others are nice and say they don't really notice, but it really is there and I appreciate you sharing your story. we have a very similiar nose type. I look forward to seeing your results. I am still too scared at this point ot fully commit to rhinoplasty.
GOOD LUCK!
Wow! Finally! It's great to see a nose that is almost identical to mine. I'm a 22 year old male but i have the exact same nose. Bridge is off center, tip sways to the right, slight bump from looking at the right side etc. The left side of my face seems more attractive then the right which i think is similar to yours. I've become so self conscious of it that I'm always aware of who can see me from the right side and trying to turn my head to the left in photos. Although i don't think I've broken my nose. At least I don't think i have. I think it's just grown that way. I'd love to see a profile view if your comfortable showing that. It's great to see someone with a nose similar to mine.I feel we both have rare noses. I am currently looking for the right doctor in Vancouver to fix my deviated septum as well as getting some cosmetic work done. I advise to go for subtle changes! Your gorgeous to begin with but i can totally understand your reasons. I can't wait to see your results! Kinda sucks that you have to wait till May.. I'd love to see what they can do with your nose being that it's soooo strangely similar to mine. I've been researching for months and have found some before and after pictures of noses similar to ours. If you want i can email it to ya or something.
Hey! Yup, that's exactly the same as me. I hate the way I look from one side. I've been dealing with this for 8 years and have finally decided to get it fixed. I'm glad to hear you can relate, because all of my friends and family tell me they don't notice and can't understand why I'd want to have it fixed but to me it's extremely obvious. I've paid my deposit and am just waiting until the spring because I'll be done my indoor soccer season and will have saved up to get it done!
Ya i feel with our type of nose it can look fine when you're looking at yourself in the mirror but then seeing yourself in pctures in opposite view it can become alarming. Turns out i have to wait till December 2014! Apparently this guy is a popular surgeon. So please keep updating. Don't forget about this website! I'd really love to see what they can do with your nose. Also, weird question, do you have a crooked smile by any chance as well? Like it slants to the right when you show teeth? I do and i actually like it. I just hope that the surgery doesn't change my smile.
I'll update closer to the date. Waiting until the spring because I need to save up, plus will need to quit soccer :(
I'm on recovery day 2. So far it has been pretty uneventful. I threw up and feel generally sluggish and out of it, but that's to be expected. I'm taking 2 weeks off of work and I'm praying that's enough. The one thing I have going for me is that I return to work the week of Thanksgiving so I'll work 2 days, half a day Wednesday, and then have Thanksgiving and the next day off. So far I'm not that bruised or swollen, but usually that sets in day 3 from what I understand. I've been icing religiously--20 min on, 20 min off. I think it's helping.
Good to hear! I'm only planning to take one week off, but my job has the flexibility of working from home so I can try to avoid civilization for a bit...
I see most people take off 1 week but if I had to do it all over again, I would take 3 weeks off from work (mostly because of the swelling that results afterward). Good luck! I also had a curved nose with a small bump and am so glad I went through with the surgery.
Thanks nariz! Was yours an open or closed rhinoplasty? My PS said I'd only need closed because it didn't appear my septum was deviated. Not sure if that affects recovery time.
No problem. I had an open rhinoplasty. I am not sure about recovery time with closed. However, with closed there shouldn't be any outside stitches which is a good thing! I had stitches stay in for 2 weeks. I definitely couldn't have shown up to work like that. :)

Thanks for starting your story on RealSelf! You're so pretty and I can only imagine how confident you'll feel once you're happy with your nose. Here's what some doctors say about recovery time after rhinoplasty.

I had my surgery on a Friday, then took the whole next week off, so I had that plus the two weekends. It seemed like the right amount of time. Of course, everyone heals differently and I didn't have much bruising, but that's what worked for me.

Please keep us posted on this journey! Oh, and before I forget, make sure whatever surgeon you choose can answer these questions to your satisfaction.