Can't Wait For The New Me - Norwich, CT

I started this journey in October of 2013. I went...

I started this journey in October of 2013. I went to Dr. T and he had me go to do an Upper GI, some blood work, and a few other appointments. I was a little leery of doing this during the holidays, but I figured there would be more holidays to come in my future that I would need to eat healthy for, so I might as well start now. I ended up going to the nutritionist at the beginning of November, with a follow up appointment the beginning of December. And guess what? I actually LOST FOUR POUNDS! I am very happy. I've NEVER lost weight during Thanksgiving before! I am almost five feet tall and I started this journey at 303 lbs. I am now at 299. May not seem like a lot yet, but it's a start. And during Thanksgiving! I had my mandatory counseling session, which I passed with flying colors, and then it was back to Dr. T the middle of December. I went to him three days ago and he said that he is submitting the paperwork to my insurance. We are looking for a surgery date at the end of January, and I could not be happier right now. I am a little nervous, this is going to be about four thousand dollars that I will have to pay back, but I am so ready to make this happen!

Congratulations and good luck on getting your date! Do you have a good amount of support from friends and family?

Thank you! And yes - my friends and family are completely supportive and helping me out!
That's awesome! Having support at home is a must, I really couldn't have gotten through it without my partner! :-)

Happy Holidays!

The Waiting Game...

So it's been a week. Still waiting on insurance. Still waiting on my sleep test. Still waiting on the final nutritionist appointment. Getting really nervous, but I got this. I was supposed to have my sleep test last week, but the place that I went to told me I was not able to do the overnight one at the lab, that I had to do the at home test. I wasn't able to pick up the machine the day they wanted me to, so I called the very next day. They suddenly transformed from the helpful nice people that I met at the office, to really rude, antagonistic people who basically treated me like a second class citizen. I called my gastric doctor to see if I could go to someone else, because this place told me I would not get another appointment for a month and a half. Needless to say, that doesn't work as they are expecting me to have the surgery the end of the month. When I spoke with Mary, she said that this was something she had been hearing from a few different patients, that the office was really rude. She let me know that I could go to any pulmonary doctor I wanted, and to just have them submit the results to my doctor. So I googled for people in my area and have an appointment set for 01/06. Wish me luck!

The Date Is Set!!

I'm so excited! I got my date! 01/31/14 will be the day that my life changes completely! I cannot wait! I'm literally dancing around my bedroom. My diet starts 01/17 - which is also an amazing coincidence, as the start of this whole thing starts on my grandmother's birthday. She helped to raise me, and she passed three years ago. So I am taking that as a sign that she is behind me, and there is no way for me to lose! It's all becoming real now!

good luck....1/17 i go for testing and to see my primary for clearance...

Getting Closer

So I got the call today to schedule for my sleep test - that's a relief - I was getting worried it wouldn't be done in time. I go next week :) And even though my pre-op diet doesn't start until tomorrow - I've been making changes throughout the week - slowly cutting down on my food - staying under 1300 calories. Today I am at a staggering 643 pre-dinner - and my dinner will be less than 250 calories - so I'm there - with room to spare! I've been working on my water intake - which is harder than it seems. I didn't get enough in early yesterday - so I drank 68 ounces between 12:30pm and 9pm. I don't know how much good it did me though because I was peeing every 20 minutes. Today I've done better. It's only 5pm and I've already got 44 ounces in - taking my time throughout the day to get the max benefit. Tomorrow is the day this becomes slightly more real. The two week countdown commences!

And It Starts

So I am in my first day of my two week countdown - getting a bit realer! I did really good yesterday - went to bed having only consumed 964 calories! Doing just as good today - just trying to work on getting more protein - yesterday was only 44 grams. I've got the water down - wish I didn't have to pee so much though lol! Now it's just a few more doctor's appointments - 14 days (including today!) and I go under the knife! I got this!

A Week In

Okay, so I thought it would be hard to stick to the 1000 calorie diet. But it's not. I am actually having trouble REACHING the 1000 calories. Yesterday I only got in 630. The issue is I'm just not hungry. Maybe because of what I'm eating? For breakfast I had a Boost High Protein shake, then for lunch I had a sandwich, consisting of two pieces of 45 calorie whole grain bread, spinach, mustard, Weight Watchers Cheese, and a 90 calorie pack of turkey. Dinner was an omelet with 6 tablespoons of egg substitute, 1/3 cup of Weight Watchers Cheese, spinach, and onion, with salsa on top. I was not hungry at any point in the day. I've also been drinking my 80 ounces of water a day. Maybe that's why? Idk, but hopefully it will help rather than hinder me. Today is the day I go for my labs, EKG, etc. Wish me luck!

Just a Few More Days

I'm nervous. And excited. And nervous. And happy. And did I mention nervous? Have just over 72 hours until I'm in surgery. Can't wait for it, but at the same time, wishing it was later, haha. Had a few struggles over the past few days with cravings. The closer I get, the more I want to just gorge out on all the food I know is bad for me and I won't be able to have again. But I controlled myself. Allowed myself one bite of some of the really bad cravings, and stayed under my 1000 for the day. Tomorrow I get to see the anesthesiologist. Then just one more day. I was really worried it wouldn't be able to happen. I finally had my sleep test last Friday, and come to find out I DO have sleep apnea. I thought I had to get back in and get the final test done before the surgery, which wasn't going to be able to happen, but turns out they just needed to know if I had it. Thank the Lord. I'm going to be staying with my mom for a bit after the surgery, depending on the pain, because I live in a third floor apartment and I don't know if I will feel up to going up and down the stairs to get in my daily walking. We'll see.

So the big day is tomorrow! Good luck! Are you all prepared?
Trying to be :) I'm bringing sweatpants - chapstick - my phone - and a pillow for the ride home. Any other suggestions you would make?
The pillow for the ride home is a great idea! For me, I was in the hospital for 2 days and all I really needed was chapstick (lips get REALLY dry), clean comfortable clothes and that was about it. The hospital provided the food/liquids and I didn't take a phone/iPad or anything. I was in a lot of pain so I basically just slept or walked.

Good luck, you'll do awesome, I'm sure! :-))

And It's Done!

Surgery was Friday at 10:30 am. Now it's Sunday morning. While most people only spend one night in the hospital, tonight will be my third. I'm having really bad nausea and its hard to keep anything down, so I can't go home until I do. Honestly, at this point, I'm still not sure if I did the right thing. I'll tell you in a week.

One Week Out

Okay - so I'm feeling better - the nausea lasted three days and then stopped. I'm getting my liquids in - not worrying about the protein until stage three - and I've already lost 14 lbs. So yeah - I'm excited - and I've decided so far - it's worth it :)

Pictures

Showing the incisions - 1 week post

That's interesting about the low calorie diet, I hate milk and that's what I have to have in the two weeks before. Congrats on losing that 14 pounds!!
Hi, did you not have to do a liquid diet? Most ppl have to do a two week liquid diet, while i only had to do 4 days, but you didn't mention it at all so i was wondering!?
Didn't have to do it at all. He just had me do a two week 1000 calorie diet - didn't have to be liquid.

One Month Out

So I haven't been updating much - but right now I just got some awesome incentive - so I figured I'd share it. I started a month ago at a size 26 - which were actually tight. Today I just put on a size 22 with room to spare!! I may be having trouble getting in my liquids - and my protein - but I'm doing something right! I was very discouraged because when I went to my doctor on Tuesday - I had only lost 10 lbs in the past two weeks. It seems to be slowing down for me. And then I actually gained a pound back. But I'm thinking maybe its muscle - because I've started working out again - and I wasn't able to fit the size 22 three days ago. So not so depressed anymore. Feel free to comment - it sometimes feels like I'm talking to myself lol.

Congratulations!! I so look forward to fitting into my smaller clothes - that is the best reward! Thank you for sharing your experience - I'm to have surgery in July and am doing my best to prepare for the changes that are to come. Keep posting!

So Discouraged

I'm in a very discouraging stage right now. I haven't lost any weight since my last update. I've been going to the gym, staying to 500 calories a day, and nothing. I feel like it was all for nothing. I've only lost a bit over 20 lbs in the almost five weeks since the surgery. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Right now I wish that I hadn't done it at all.

Don't be hard on yourself - you're doing great! Your body is still adjusting to the major changes that have just taken place. Keep sticking to the gym and your calories, and if you're concerned call your doctor to talk it over. I'm sure next week you will be pleasantly surprised with the results. Keep your chin up!
Thank you :) I'll wait and see what happens, and if it doesn't change, I'll call Dr. T.

Thanksgiving 2013 and Last Week

I had the surgery in Deccember of 2013. I have lost a lot but I am constantly nauseious and vomiting. Any in couraging or helpful advice I could use some I'm really loving being thinner but not at this price. Kristy K.
I only had issues with nausea in the hospital. Since I've been home - the only issue I've found is I can't do protein powder. I did three weeks of full liquid - and now I'm in the midst of my seven weeks of mushy food. What have you been eating? Some doctors rush through the stages - I saw one person who was on soft foods after just three weeks - I don't reach that step until week ten. It works for some - but some need more time. When I started the switch to mushy - if I hadn't taken it so slow - there would have been an issue. I still have trouble sometimes - and I feel the food in my throat. I just step back and do liquids for another half day. I mix it between the two a lot.
yay!!! im gona start following u! awesomeness! im in the process for the sleeve too!!

Feeling Good!!

So - I'm so over the depressing tone of the last update. I was just in a bad place because of missing food and the stall. But the stall ended! I ate a few bites of cheesecake and two tater tots with chili and cheese sauce (I know, naughty naughty) - and I was loving it. I was in a much better mood already. The next morning - I woke up having lost 5 lbs - overnight!! I don't know if it was just the end of the stall - the fact that I was in a better mood - or maybe I was in starvation mode from only doing about 300 calories a day and eating the fatty foods broke that. But something worked!! I'm down three sizes - everybody is commenting on how good I look - and I feel awesome! I went for a three mile walk today in the nice springtime weather - and to reward myself....I didn't turn to food! I pierced a second hole in my ears. It made me realize that before, it would always be food that I would use to celebrate - or to cheer me up when I was feeling bad - or to just wallow in my misery. Those days are over! Now - if I need to celebrate - I'll do it with clothes - or jewelry - or something else that I love and will not make me back into who I was. I'm just really happy now! :)

Another Week - Another Change

My scale is -slowly- moving downward - but I am not feeling as depressed as I could be - because I finally started measuring with inches. If there is one thing I can advise - it is to start measuring your inches right away. In the past week - I've lost only about 4 lbs - but I've gone down FULL INCHES AND MORE everywhere on my body. Everyone is commenting on how good I am looking. I can fit into smaller clothes. I see what everyone was trying to say when they said "Don't let the scale be your God!" It is not the be all and end all - it is not even the most accurate tool. Listen to your clothes. Listen to your feeling of well being. And know that this is working!

You're doing so well! One of my biggest fears is having this surgery and then not losing weight, but you've shown me it doesn't matter how fast it comes off as long as it does. Only you know if you're sticking to your eating plan, and you are so you're bound to lose it. The way I see it is it took years to gain this weight so what of it takes two or three to lose it all? Well done!!
Thank you! One piece of advise that I wish I had had - while you are not allowed to eat too much - because of your new sleeve - you also have to be careful to actually eat ENOUGH! I wasn't eating enough for a few weeks - and I wasn't losing weight. I think my body was in starvation mode - I was only getting in about 200-300 calories a day. Once I started eating 500-600 a day - the weight started coming off again.
wow awesome! when did u have ur surgery?

Another Week - Still Happy

My weight is still creeping downwards - and my clothes are still getting bigger. Bought some goal outfits - both mini goal (16's) bigger goal (7's) and final goal (1's). I'm going to do this, and it's going to be awesome! Already down so much from where I started!

Quick Update

Just wanted to give a quick update - down almost 70 lbs!! Put a picture on Facebook and for once wasn't cringing. Not where I want to be - but definitely on my way! :)

Forgot the Pic

Waiting on getting my surgery done. I have one more weigh in and then wait till the insurance ok's the go ahead for surgery. I am between a rock and a hard place I have thyroid problems and the antibodies are attacking it and am unable to keep weight off even if I lose it. Was handed a packet to have weight loss surgery and so now I am in limbo. Cant wait till I have the surgery and the benefits of being able to find clothes. I was like you and wore a 26 at one time but now a 24 I look at myself and see the fat on my stomach it just is depressing . I can totally relate how you must have felt before the surgery. You look great and I am so glad you get on here and post your story of where you are after the surgery it really helps put hope and positive thoughts in having this done . As far as the excess skin I wont focus to much on that verses the loss of weight and where I will be after the process. I did manage to break some of the biggest habit in the waiting process . keep the pictures coming it is encouraging to me and keep it up your getting there.
Forgot to say, the monochrome dress in the side by side picture, look how much longer it is! It will be down to the floor soon ;)
Thank you! And after getting it done - I still am feeling the hurry up but not yet game lol. I want it to be a year from now - and have most of this done - but at the same time - I'm like - no - it can't have ALREADY been TWO months!! I'm just grateful it's springtime. Looking forward to hiking much more than the gym. And you're right. Pre-surgery - 4 lbs a week would have been ahhhhmazing! I've got this. It's going to continue going down. And I'll be where I want to be, when I need to be there. :)

Feeling Great!

It's amazing how much difference just a few months will make! I feel great - energetic - happy - like I can do anything! I've started a workout routine at home - because it's hard sometimes to make it to the gym - and now that it's so warm out - I spend a lot of time outside - walking and hiking. I went out last night - first time since the surgery - and while it was a bit weird not drinking when EVERYONE else was - it was okay. I even got up and danced. Sober. While I sometimes wish I could have my salads - or even a big juicy burger - I know that this was worth it. And when I reach my goal I will be the happiest I have ever been.

omg so proud of you!!! you didnt even have a sip of a drink to see how it would feel!? lol Im curious :) how exciting to have gone out awww good for u !!!!!! lookin good too gurll keep up the good work !!! what is your goal weight? :) Thanks for sharing doll!!! xoxo
Thanks :) and yeah - not even a tiny sip. I've never been a BIG drinker - but I didn't realize how hard it would be for you to see all your friends drinking and having fun. The worst was the group shots - everyone lifting their shot glasses and yelling "Cheers!" haha - I had nothing. But it was fun - and everyone kept telling me how great I was looking - which didn't feel too bad lmao!
Oh - and sorry - forgot to answer your question - I'm only 4'11" - so my final goal is 120ish

So Excited!!

I know this is probably a stupid thing to be excited about - but nonetheless I am VERY excited! I can eat almonds! And whole wheat crackers!! For lunch yesterday I had 5 crackers with a Laughing Cow light Swiss cheese wedge smeared on top - with 7 almonds! It was very good - and had fiber and protein. :)

Way to go girl! I can see the difference in your face - you're looking great! Keep up the positive results!!
Thanks so much! :)

Ugh - I Messed Up

So - I'm in New Hampshire for the week for work. So of course I stopped working out and am eating badly. :( The past two days I've had about a thousand calories a day - which is way more than I'm supposed to! I need to buckle down and get back on track! No more chopped salad from Outback (at 600 calories for the thing!) Back to my routine - squats squats squats - arms arms arms! I can do this!

The good thing is u are making a choice to do better and that's ask that matters don't beat yourself up u will be fine tomorrow is a brand new day sweetie! Keep it up!
Thanks :) I cut back today and did MUCH better - still won't be the best til I get back home - but I'm good with what I had today. It just sucks because every day it's eating out.

Back Home and Doing Great!!

Finally back in my normal habitat lol! Got my workout in - eating light - bright skies ahead! Went to my cousin's house yesterday and she gave me a bunch of clothes that are too small for me now - but soon wont be! Everything from a 14 to a 2. And best of all? Free! Getting back to my walking and hiking - plus my weights workout everyday. I figure if I lose 10 lbs a month - which seems to be the norm - it will take a little less than a year from now to get to my goal. I'm good with that! I got this - I can do it! And F' all the haters who tell me I can't!

That's the spirit! You'll prove them wrong, I know it. You're doing brilliantly.
Thank you for sharing your journey so far. It's a big encouragement for me. I have not yet been scheduled for my sleeve gastrectomy but hope it won't be long. I had gone through the entire 'before' process with one weight loss surgical center, only to find out the surgeon didn't feel comfortable doing it since I have so much mesh in my abdomen from previous hernia surgeries. It took a while for me to hear this, because they had to send for my operating room notes from my hospital & then make an appt. to see him again to get the results. He referred me to another center that deals with high risk patients. Last week I finally was able to have my appointments at the second center seeing the surgeon, nutritionist & psychologist. I was glad to have all 3 the same day as it is about 4 hours from my home. Since I was already OKed for surgery before by my insurance company, I'm hoping that my surgery will be scheduled before too long. Fingers crossed! You're looking so good after a relatively short time!!! Keep up the great work! I can only hope to respond as well to my surgery.
Thanks so much! I'm happy you were able to find someone, and have them get everything out of the way on the same day! I'll def keep my fingers crossed for you! :)

So Weird

So I went to see my NUT for the first time since the surgery. I thought she would yell at me because I've been slowly creeping closer and closer to 800 calories a day, and the last time I went to my doctor he told me to stay at 500. Come to find out, she told me I'm actually supposed to be at 1000-1100 calories a day right now! So those days in NH when I thought I did really bad, because I was up to 1020 calories? That was right where I was supposed to be! She did yell at me for one thing, and that's my liquid intake. I'm still only getting about 30 oz a day, and I know that's not good! I really have to work on it! She says even if I can't do the 80 - I HAVE to do at least 64. Here's to drinking lots more water! The weird thing (hence the title today) is that ever since she told me that I am supposed to be eating MORE, I've actually been eating LESS! I didn't even reach 600 calories the last few days! I'm just not hungry anymore. People warned me that this could happen, that at about three months you lose your hunger, but they also said that in the beginning you wouldn't be hungry either and I was. So now I have to force myself to eat, but I'm afraid that because I don't feel hungry, I'm going to force too much and that will be even worse. So measure measure measure I will. On a good note - I'm down in the 230's! I'm feeling great - so much energy - and I'm doing things I haven't done in years! I was at the grocery store last night, and I couldn't reach something on the top shelf. (I'm only 4'11") So I climbed onto a chair that was there and got it down. Same thing in the freezer section. Climbed right up into that thing! I forgot how much I used to love climbing. Maybe this summer I'll try rock climbing? You know, not the real thing lol, but maybe a wall at a gym type thing? Excited to try new things!

omg guuuurllll you need to post pics!!! i bet your looking good! Congrats for being in the 230s! awesome! keep it up and thanks for updating!
Posting a pic now :) thank you!

Feeling Good :)

You know I was thinking six hundred was way too low to even run your body, but I figured your team knew best, 1000 - 1100 sounds much better. I'm worried about not being able to get everything in too, it seems very common in the early days but it does pass. It must be such a weird feeling, being told to eat more! I had a week before I needed to start the liquid diet and I ate what I wanted. I didn't go crazy though because a voice in my head was constantly chanting, 'no! You can't have that remember?). I've had trouble eating what I should on the liquid too, yoghurt and milk (ugh). But you've inspired me all over again, I only have five more sleeps and it's surgery day, I can't believe it. I only hope I do as well as you, I was so happy when I read about you getting up on that chair. You'll be doing mountains in no time! Big hugs xx
It is SUCH a weird feeling lol! But it's nice too - for once I'm not being told I eat too much! And that's great that you didn't go crazy! I have to admit - I did eat a half a donut in the two weeks prior - knowing I would never have it again. You're so close! I'm excited for you! You'll do fabulous! :)
Great job!!!! You can totally tell!!! Xoxo

A Better Picture

I think this picture shows better how far I've come, without the bulky black sweater. :)

this is a much better picture dear ! great job!!
Look at you, no wonder you're smiling, you look great!
Thank you! I'm just amazed I haven't cheated once on the liquid diet. Not that DH would let me, but I think he assumed there would be some begging and sulking :)

Just A Comparison

I look at this - and I am astounded. Beyond euphoric. Just can't believe it. I have come so far. I know I can do this - this is all the proof I need!

Fun in the Sun(day)

First of all - Happy Mothers Day to all of the mothers and single fathers out there! I went to my mom's - it was nice - gave her all of her gifts. After that it was off to Misquamicut. I love the ocean. I guess it's probably from growing up with it. Walked along the beach - collecting rocks and shells - got a workout in without even feeling like it. Beautiful day today - so glad summer is coming! Trying to stick to my 1000 calories a day - but it's hard. I want to stop at like 800 - it feels so wrong going up to 1000! But I'll stick it out a few weeks - see how it goes. I even give myself little splurges. Today I had half of a small Decaff Iced Coffee from Dunkin. Jamocan Almond Fudge. It was quite tasty - and I'm still under my calories for the day. :) Dinner is turkey chops. Kinda like pork chops - but made with turkey lol. But boy did that ocean air tire me out!

I love the latest pic, you look so young now. If you're married I would just like to warn your other half that there is going to be a lot of attention coming your way! :) you do look wonderful hun, I want to say thanks to for keeping us updated even though you've had your surgery, it's a real help to those of us behind you on the road.
Thank you! :) No, I'm not married - still single - for now :) And thank you for continuing to read my journey. The surgery is not the end - it's just the beginning! :D
Woo hoo, single huh? You'll be beating them off with a stick :)

Two Steps Forward - One Step Back

I've been struggling lately. Eating things I shouldn't. Still staying under my calories - but with the wrong foods. Yesterday - I had a cheeseburger from Burger King - including the bun! It didn't feel too good - and it didn't even taste good. I've been having battered and deep fried foods. All in all - just not sticking to the plan. It's time to get back on track. Starting today - I am sticking with the plan. No battered food. No deep fried food. No bread. Just lean meats - fruits - veggies. The good stuff. I got this.

Almost 5 Months

So I haven't been able to get on much - in the process of moving so no internet - but I figured I'd take the time now. Been struggling a bit with food choices. Now that I can eat anything - I sometimes eat the wrong things. But I'm correcting that. No more four cheese Italian blend. No more cookies. Gonna do better. Down over 100 lbs since my highest weight - and 60 since the surgery. Getting ready for summer - going to be out every day - hiking and swimming and just having fun! :) Here's to a great summer!

oh boy, I havent had my surgery yet, thinking next month, your scaring me lol, I am so afraid of making bad choices once I can eat again. quess this isnt the total answer, ( as they do tell me ) we still have to make conscious choices to eat right huh ?? terrified Im going to mess this up !!
Just remember - even if you go off track - like I did a little bit - you can always get yourself right back on! This definitely isn't the total answer - but it does help. A lot. And when you see the lbs melting off - it's a lot easier to make the right choices - and to correct yourself when you may have made the wrong choices! :)
I'm a newbie. I am going for my first consultation with my surgeon on Jul 7. I'm a little scared, but I have thought about doing this for a few years. My doctor first put me in touch with a nutritionist, did that for a few months, lost a few pounds here and there but nothing significant. This was done as a prerequisite from the plastic surgeon to do liposuction. I was unsuccessful in losing the required 40 lbs, so I abandoned that scheme. I continued following a healthy diet and exercise program, taking my vitamins, drinking as much water as I could stand without gagging. I have been at the same weight (240lbs) for the last 5-10 years, only losing a few pounds at a time, gaining some of them back. I did the Insanity exercise program, the P90X, the Hip-hop abs...you name it, I have done it. I took zumba classes forever, I went to the gym religiously 3 times a week until January this year when I said enough...none of this is working! I've tried Nutrisystem, Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig. Nothing worked. So I finally made the decision to have the sleeve done and I am scared...I hope all goes well. My family is with me 100%, so I have a good support system. I don't have any friends, so I thought I would join this group to find some kindred souls to share my journey with.

Been Six Months

I see a difference - do you? I am so happy with the way things are going. I know some people drop faster than me - and while sometimes that bugs me - I am okay with the way things are going. This gives my skin time to bounce back, right? Adding a few photos - tell me what you think!

Never compare yourself to others, everyone loses differently and all that matters is that you are losing and getting healthier every day. I can really tell from your most recent pictures! Choosing the same dress is a genius idea, it gets longer on you with every new pic, and you look fantastic. I think you've done amazingly well in those six months.
Thanks so much! It helps to hear encouragement :)
You may even find your taste changes completely, I've read that several times.

Think A Mantra Would Help?

I know what one of my biggest problems is - and guess what? It's one of the same problems I had before surgery. I eat something because it's good - not because I am hungry. Maybe it comes from growing up in a house with 7 children. If you didn't eat it then - it was gone. You like dinner? Get your fill - there are no left overs. You bought yourself something good? Eat it all - if it goes in the fridge - it's GONE! So now - I find myself eating even when I'm not hungry. Because even though I live alone - in my mind - if I don't eat it now - I won't be able to later. I also grew up in a home that even if you were not hungry - you had to finish your plate. Still struggle with that one. It feels so wrong pushing away - there are starving kids in Africa you know! Not so much with restaurant plates - because those things are huge. But when I make my own plate - all measured out and nice - it's very hard for me to not finish it. So I think every morning - I will look in the mirror and say "I will not eat when I am full" and before I start eating - I will look in the mirror and say "I will not eat when I am full" - as often as needed. Because otherwise - I will soon be right back in the same boat. So say it with me guys!! "I will NOT eat when I am FULL!!!"

Recognising the problem and owning it is the start of the battle. It didn't take me long to realise I still have all the same hang ups about food that I had before, I just can't eat much. But when we get a few months out like you, we can eat a bit more and that's when the danger starts. Try and go back to basics, this is what I was told. Fill your sleeve with the nutritionally best things first, your protein. Don't ever eat a bite bigger than a grape, and stop eating after 20 mins whether you have finished or not. Chewing well, and eating 'mindfully' helps, in other words no TV, books or iPad when you're eating. Look at your food and really taste it. Would it help to fill your sleeve with fluid if you know you will be around your triggers? I find if I drink a lot I physically cannot eat. Don't struggle alone, we're all in this together.
I'm doing a lot better now that I recognize it's an issue. I ask myself (sometimes three times) if I am really hungry before I eat. I stopped eating carby fruit (although it broke my heart) and upped my protein. And it's working. I was losing about .4 lbs a day. Last night I lost .8 lbs. Now just have to work on my water intake. Still. Always. Averaging 30 oz a day :(
Fruit is tough but I read at the dietician's that just six grapes are our sugar intake for the day. I knew they had a lot of fructose, but not how much! The water is a constant battle. I'm kind of lucky in that I don't work, so all I do, whatever else I'm doing, is sip sip sip. But I find water tastes wrong to me now. Dehydration slows the metabolism though, so we gotta keep trying!

Time for another picture?

I think it is time for another picture lol - never would have done this a year ago - but I actually like taking pics of myself now and seeing my progress :)

I would like it too, because you look so good!
Thank you! I feel good :)
I'm considering having this surgery. But have a few questions. What if you are unable to stop losing weight? If you eat to much will you throw up? Can you drink alcohol?

Feeling So Awesome!!

So I cut fruit out of my diet. Completely. Ugh, it was hard. I love fruit. But so many carbs! And I found it was worth it! I went from losing 2-3 lbs a week - to in the past four days I'm down 5 lbs. 11 lbs to go til Onderland!!

Wow! Thank you for sharing and your honesty. I think it's important to remember that it is ok to slip once in a while as long as you get back up. I am still in the very early stages of the approval process but I am inspired by others journey. You look amazing. Keep up the good work!
It's funny you should say that, I read this week that just five grapes has an adult female's daily requirement of sugar. I knew they were sugary but not that bad. I love it too, but it's worth it to lose so well at the stage you are. Although 2/3 per week is really good anyway.

Six Months Exactly

So yesterday was six months exactly since the surgery - went from 286 to 211 - 75 lbs down! Got about 100 to go lol. Don't worry - I'm very short - not even 5 ft tall - so 111 is a good weight for me. I've got to work on getting my calories to around 1000 - I've noticed I drop the most weight around that intake - but keep my carbs below 50 - my protein over 100 - get my water up. Sounds easy - right? lol - I got this! The attached pic is from yesterday. Happy six months to me!!

Wow! What a transformation. You are looking good. Good luck and GOD bless your journey.
Look at you! Amazing! So proud of your progression. Why do you have to consume so less of calories? Is that so you drop more weight? I'm just confused with this whole calorie watching thing, just because my surgeon said go back to eating normal when you can. I wasn't a sweet eater anyways, hate cookies, ice cream, candy. I don't drink soda. Water is my best friend. So, I'm thinking maybe because I will lose most of it? I don't know... But you are looking amazing!

Another Week Another Update

So not much has changed this week - still at 211 - hit a mini stall - upping my water - changing my routine - I got this - keeping positive - taking pictures and letting that be my guide. Walked home from my mom's house yesterday - almost three miles - half of it completely uphill - and I didn't even get winded! Last year I wouldn't have been able to do it at all! Tell me what you think of the new comparison pic! :)

Hi. Thank you for this information. I am 60 yrs old and have been overweight my whole life. Just this past year I was diagnosed with severe grade 4 degeneration of both knees. I am now in a wheel chair until I can receive knee replacements (which they will not do until I lose weight). If I had done something about my weight a long time ago I would have avoided all of this pain. So proud of you. I have researched all of the bariatric surgeries that are out there and this is the one I choose. Wish me luck. P.S. To all of you please don't wait until your body is so damage by bad decision do something good for yourself.
Good luck! It's never too late to start doing something right!
Bigmamadeb - I hope you get a surgery date soon and have a chance to get more mobile!

Been A While

So it's been a bit since my last update - I'm nine months out now. Wow. I'm down to 200.4 lbs. I KNOW!!!!! SO CLOSE!!! I've been in a stall - but I'm not letting it depress me. I know from the blogs and the groups I'm part of that this is normal. And as long as I keep up my good habits - protein, water, exercise - I'll break the stall and continue to lose. No new pics today - just not feeling it. In a bit of a funk lately. But that will break also.

I have really enjoyed reading you honest diary. I bet right now you are in onederland! Please keep posting, really helps people. Kim
Your not you

Hello Onderland!!!

I reached it - I got there - I am officially under 200 lbs! This is the smallest I have been in about 20 years!

Congratulations!!! I'm searching stories about weight loss with the sleeve surgery and your story is the first one I read. You look amazing!!!! Please keep updating your progress, I'd like to follow you for inspiration. Thank you and great job!

Outta My Funk

So I'm out of my funk....and that means it's picture time!! As you can see above - I did it! I finally made it to the 100's! I don't see a skinny girl yet - but I do see a smaller, healthier girl! :)

I can certainly see a major difference, and I bet you feel wonderful too!
Thank you! And yeah - I feel great!!

Does She Do It On Purpose?

So I have a sister. She's actually one of my very best friends. But I think she might be an issue in my life right now. She's always been the skinnier sister. Not skinny. But skinnier. Now I weigh less then her. She tries to hide it (usually) but I can tell that she is NOT happy about that. I'm actually almost 50 lbs less then her. I'll put on an outfit, and she'll be like "Oh, I wouldn't wear that. Not that it's too small for you, but it does cling in your belly a little." Allll the time!!! And she tries to get me to give in to my bad habits - like "Let's have ___________ (insert Chinese, Pizza, Grinders, etc)" I honestly don't think she's doing it on purpose, but I do think that subconsciously, she wants to be the smaller sister again, and since she is not losing weight, then neither can I. Maybe it's time to have a talk?

Whether is conscience or subconscious don't let her sabotage your hard work. You are in control of you. She can't make your bad choices you make them yourself. I have to tell myself this almost everyday because most of the people in my life don't struggle with their weight so they are constantly offering cookies, cakes, fast food, and such...all things I of course love so it can be hard. You can do this and the proof is in the mirror. Definitely talk with her so she understands what your goals are and hopefully she will respect that but ultimately you are accountable to only yourself. You have to do what you think is best for you!
you're looking awesome! I love the comparison photos! yeah, I think you may need to have a chat with your sister!
Dr. Tousignant

Dr T. is awesome! He knew I was serious and hasn't been dragging his heels. Three months after my first appointment is the date of my surgery!