Multi Color Cover Up Removal - Lakeland, FL

I have a 5year old, dense cover up (orig is 10yrs)...

I have a 5year old, dense cover up (orig is 10yrs) on my hip/stomach. It has been treated with TCA and the Medlite C6 twice two years ago. I didnt follow up with any more treatment becaused i moved back to the USA and honestly was too scared of the pain. I saw mostly fading of the black and dark purple to the point of the original tattoo not being visible. I'm sure I have layers of ink to go, and am so excited for the picosure to do the trick. I'm grateful for everyone's experiences as its kept me hopeful and eager to start treatment. I am a medical esthetician, so I'm hoping logging my journey will give the perspective from both angle's of practioner and patient ;) There are only a couple clinics here in Fl that have the pico, so I have to drive an hour, but I think it will be so worth it!!! I'm curious as to all the blistering with the pico and wondering if some are getting it worst because of oil based lotions post treatment??? Any thoughts???

After two tx's with Medlite C6

Some breaks in the outline

1st tx w/picosure

Just had first tx 1hr ago. It took 30 min, and I didn't need a break! I didn't use anything for pain besides the cool blower. It was Uncomfortable, but NOTHING like the pain with the Medlite C6. Left with a dressing over it and an ice pack still on. :)

Forgot...

Also, my setting was on a 2

Day 3

Healing nice! Zero blistering, just a lot of swelling and bruising. I can already see an overall even amount of fading:)

Day 5 post 1tx

The swelling is finally going down but as you can see, I'm very bruised. It's hard to tell the difference in my purple and the bruising. Also, last night I noticed very, very small blisters throughout. But they're so tiny that it's no biggy. The itch has also just started in...yay.

Another pic

Two weeks

update...overall fading, but more in blue, green and black shading. Some colors have actually changed shades I.e yellow to orange, purple to pink. They still faded, so no complaints. I've also discovered "layers" of ink. A lot of bits where black was is now the purpleish pink ink color. (I kind of remember my artist doing this during the process) also, I've noticed outside my blue (not directly on tattoo) I've had a bit of a rash. I guess my body has decided to become allergic. Oh well, at least it's fading. I have a few scabs on the darker bits of blue/black healing. Other than that all is well :)

Pics

Allergic reaction :(

Ok, I've been experiencing a horrific itching sensation ALL over my body!!! No rash, just occasional (come and go) hives and this insane itch....like I want to rip my skin off itch!!! I'm definitely having an allergic reaction to the ink on its way out. It's been going on for almost a week now and it's at night time and effecting mostly my torso. I know this can be a sign of liver toxicity so it makes sense but I feel like my skin is crawling. I'm starting on antihistamines tomorrow:( anyone else having this?? I did have a similar itchy phase with my other tx's but it's HORRIBLE with the pico...more ink leaving i guess=more itchy me :( :( :(

1mo post

Quick healed pick of blue

1mo post full

Looks brighter in photo than in person. It's more dull in real life (if that makes any sense).

Appointment scheduled!

Hi all, I'm going in for round two this fri 5/2. Yay! Will post pics pre and post then :)

NĂºmero dos

Just had #2 a few hours ago and the pain was horrible :( I know they adjusted the settings, but it was pretty intense. I had to break a number of times, so it took an hour this time. I've already got a few blisters ( which I've never had immediately) and typical swelling, etc. I opted to pay up front for 5tx's so I get 6th tx free and 20% off any additional after, but let's hope 6 does it because I'm not willing to pay any more!!! A blob it will be. One of the gals showed me her progress and she's had 5tx's and looks about done, just a very faint outline from her black remained. I would be happy with that!

Sleep

I'm so exhausted that I've slept a few hours and will be crashing again in a few min's for the night...it's only 9:30! I think my body was really in shock. Anyways I just peeled back the dressing for a quick pic.

MOTHER of BLISTERS

Look what I woke up to!!! This is inasane!!! It's on my lower stomach!!!!

Spelling oopsie...clumsy thumbs

*insane

Drippy drip drip

Hey guys, here's one for a laugh. So my blisters keep popping and refilling with a beautiful golden serum and since I'm wearing loose dresses, every time one drains it looks like pee running down my leg! Fun stuff :) lol

Skin tone!!!

Just starting to peel and look what's underneath!!! Let's hope it stays like this and doesn't go blue again.

Raised itchiness

Hello all, anyone experiencing hive like problems (when they itch) post treatment? I think I've nailed my itchy phase down to a skin disorder called dermatographia. I'll post pics tonight of what happens! Very bizarre and only started to happen since I've gone through laser tattoo removal. My skin literally will swell up in the shape of my scratch! Antihistamines are the only thing that help. Any ideas?

Hive writing

So I lightly scratched "hi" and I've got the swelling and itchy hive where I scratched! My skin is so weird!!!

Another

Starting swell up and itch a few min later

Post 2tx healed and faded

Hi all, I'm still experiencing the dermatographia but I've learned to deal with it. Just wanted to post some pics of post #2 all healed at 4 weeks and a bit. I'm all pastel colors now. Even the thick black lines are blue!

Schedule

Just booked appt for #3 for August 1st :)

Tx #3

Just got home from #3. They reduced my settings because of the blistering last tx, so today felt like a walk in the park! Seriously there is NO comparison. Thank you to Zoe (my tech) for getting me through this so quickly and as pain free as possible. I'll post pics throughout the next weeks to follow. Happy fading everyone! :)

Tx 3 day 2

Woke up to blisters but they're not painful like last time! They seemed to have drained during the night because I have wet spots all over my pj's. Eww lol

Healing

I had Pretty horrible blisters, but this tx I've experienced less negative effects than the others. I had less pain during tx, ZERO bruising (and I'm always purple) and now I'm starting to "scab", well if that's what you can even call it. Usually I get a pretty thick scab that sloughs off and literally peels off pretty thick (imagine Elmer's glue dried to your hand) and now it's more of like a light "crusting". The only different thing I've done post tx is use tea tree oil (neat) as an antiseptic to dry out my blisters and keep them clean. I was pretty impressed with it! I will def use it again!

Forgot

I did have a few blisters rip open prematurely (during sleep) and it's prob going to leave a scar...eek! They are the only bit that's truly scabbed over.
Lakeland Dermatologic Surgeon

I was impressed that the staff showed me the progress of their own Pico treatments; it was nice to see in person. They were very patient and thorough during treatment as well which helped calm my nerves. Only annoying thing is front desk staff want you to call 45min before tx so they can turn on machines. I thought a confirmation call should have let them know that! *update- today I was offered a package which seemed to be pretty set in stone. They wouldn't budge or negotiate with a package price as some clinics do, however their price point isn't ridiculous so I went ahead with it.

Just make sure to keep any scabs covered with vaseline (pj) or aquaphor, for as long as they can naturally stay on, don't remove them or let them dry out. The longer scabs stay moist, the more ink they draw out from the skin. That's why tattoo after care is the opposite and shouldn't be applied the same way as removal. Hope it helps!
I know how to care for a wound, thanks ;) the above update was to describe the difference between previous sessions and how I've healed each time. Not only is each and every body different, but I've had inconsistencies with each treatment myself due to different settings and immunity responses. Your reminder to keep it moist post tx was very kind, though :)
Good good...*regretting comment* :P
Lol hey, every comment helps! :)
My tech said to not do anything. I have let mine heal all dry, even though it itched very badly. I think i will use aloe vera next time, BUT i most say, i dont see any scarring at all :)
I agree with your tech:) I only start to moisturize once it starts to dry up. I don't let them put antibiotic ointment on it after tx, but I start the aloe around day 3/4 once I'm healing up. I did use tea tree oil as an antiseptic on my blisters this tx, and it aided in drying/healing them. I think everyone knows their skin and how it should feel, ya know?! For me, a balance works.
did you use the tea tree oil full strength or water it down? I'm getting my 1st treatment on Sept 8th, so excited!
Hi, tea tree oil can be used neat or with a carrier oil for dilution. I used it neat :)
Try not to worry, I had some of my blisters break open during sleep as well, no scars were left.
hey there ive been looking and reading your review for a while and your fading is great so far! How old is your tattoo? and how many months do you leave between treatments? oh and my other question is okay i have a tattoo directly on my belly button to cover up a scar from a hernia surgery i had and i want to removed it although my tattoo is much smaller than urs and i see urs is located in a area where like jeans and things could rub up against it and irritate it, i was wondering what type of clothing do u wear the week during ur treatment to not irritate the area or what do you keep on it?
Hi there, the stomach area is super awkward for healing so I've been wearing maxi dresses for about a week after. You need to expect swelling...like looking preggo, too! Lol I can't emphasize enough how much ice helps with pain and swelling. My tattoo is so large that it covers my stomach/hip/side and thigh. The pics never show it correctly because I try to flatten it all out to get it all in the shots. I'm sure yours won't be as bad as mine ;) oh, and the oldest part of my tattoo is over 10yrs and the "cover up" is 5yrs. Also, I've been spacing my tx's 3months apart. Hope that helps :)
thanks so much that was some great advice about wearing maxi dresses for a week lol. hey if you dont mind could u check out my recent updated review and tell give me some advice on my tattoo and what to expect.
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

thank you so much for ur honesty, ive been thinking about that as well waiting until i have children and then just have a tummy tuck to remove the tattoo and fix my dis formed belly button.
Hatemymistake, does my tattoo look bad to you honestly?
The places ive went to for consultations like those two plastic surgeons they were honest and told me exactly what your telling me which is that i want like the end results and it would look way worse than even having the tattoo in the first place because it would be really light and in the shape of the tattoo and that all of the ink may not come out. they told me my best option as of now is to either get it surgically removed or just wait till i have kids and have it removed through having a tummy tuck and if i were to get a tummy tuck they could reconstruct my belly button to make it look more natural.
I hate all tattoo's now, so I'm the last person to ask!!! Lol my opinion of them was once very different and that is why I'm removing mine. The reason I opted for a cover up 5years ago was because I didn't have faith in lasers for complete removal, and didn't have the cash. For my own body, a scar is better than ink. That's just me.
i mean i dont hate all tattoos now i hate mine but i like tattoos just not on me lol..but thanks for ur honesty once again yea id rather have a scar now too. so im thinking about tattoo excision i was just gone have all the black in my tattoo lasered first then after all that was gone i was going to get the rest surgically removed. so are you going for complete removal?
I noticed you've been experiencing hives after treatments. I have gone through three tattoo removal sessions and have been experiencing hives on my third session for the last 8 days. It's miserable. How long did your hives last?
Hi, so sorry for late reply.( I need to change my notifications) Anyways, the hives have actually calmed just about a month ago. I still experience the dermatographia, but not as bad or often as it was. I'm going in for tx 3 next Friday, so I'm sure I'll be itching all over again. How long have you had the hives? Are you taking any antihistamines?
I'm sorry to hear you're still experiencing them! My story sounds similar to yours. I actually broke out in full body hives though for 2 weeks and it has now finally calmed down to dermographia as well for this last week. I was living on benadryl for awhile but now I'm just taking zyrtec once a day to keep things down. Because my reaction was so bad though at first I've been advised to stop treatments.
Well it's interesting that we are responding this way. Nobody else seems to have had it or even heard of it happening with removal. Are you prone to allergies in general? Are you taking any supplements? I wonder if we have a common link? Btw, I did the same thing with starting with Benadryl at night then switched to Zyrtec daily, and now I'm not taking anything unless I break out. Mine seemed to react worse at night and would be triggered by something like a scratch and then they would go crazy! It's an occasional scratch now that turns into the dermatographia. It makes me think it's the ink type we are allergic to. Let's just be happy that we can get rid of it instead of it permanently staying in our system! Less ink = less itchies in the long run :) I've purposely spaced my treatments 10weeks apart so my overall body gets a rest. I'm not going to stop treatments, just keep eating clean and flushing it all out. I'd be scared to keep the tattoo knowing you're allergic to it! It would be like a slow leak in your body over years! Yikes! Maybe I'm just being dramatic hahaha
haha yes I've seen a few other stories on here about hives I'll link them in at the bottom of my comment. I was also reading up on the ink and saw that there's just hundreds of different types with different ingredients so it is almost impossible to know exactly what our bodies are reacting to. I'm not one to usually break out in hives and I've never had any allergic reactions to when I got the tattoos in the first place, so I was surprised that this happened! I want to eventually remove this tattoo completely, but it seems not many people are aware of the allergic reactions yet and how to handle it with the treatments. I'm glad your body isn't reacting any worse though after each treatment so that you can keep going! http://www.realself.com/review/beverly-hills-tattoo-removal-long-process http://www.realself.com/review/ponte-vedra-beach-fl-tattoo-removal-in-process-two-tattoos-removed http://www.realself.com/question/swelling-occur-after-laser-tatoo-removal-going-in-there
Here is a cool video that relates to this and spacing the treatments:
Hi Eva, I think you accidentally sent the wrong video link (This one is about lentigines). Can you resend please? :)