Accutane - Worth It but Not - North Brunswick, NJ

I've had acne in some variation since I was a...

I've had acne in some variation since I was a teenager. It wasn't until a couple of years ago, it got very bad and I had numerous painful pimples on my face. It did not go away with the use of antibiotics or topicals. I was getting married soon, and I did not want my pimples to show through, even though I would be wearing makeup. I started accutane in January 2012 and by May when I got married, you could see a difference and I did not have to cake on makeup to cover up anything. My doctor continued the treatment for me, but I think for too long. My skin has cleared up but I do have some red patches. The worst side effect was dry lips and skin, which I used aquaphor and cetaphil to treat. It is also very expensive, and halfway through my treatment I hit my deductible (on my health plan it's pretty high) so several months were under $100, which helped. The biggest pain in the ass is the iPledge program and getting blood work done every month. I am looking to start a family, and have been advised to wait a month after treatment, but I think to play it safe me and my spouse have decided to wait until the end of this year to start trying just to make sure the medication is out of my system.

My review's title

I think I wrote that because I was at a loss of what to name my review. I believe that the Accutane was worth it, but the time period I was on was not. I wished I stopped several months ago, but this could be due to my feelings on starting a family. In another post a doctor answered that I could safely start a family after a month, but I feel that the potency of this drug really warrants a longer waiting time. I also did not feel the emotional/psychological effects of the drug throughout the treatment, but in the early months I did, but this could be possibly due to the fact that I was getting married shortly! The price is also another consideration, but at least I did it when I had money to spend on it.
Dr. Urman

I think it can't hurt to get on an anti-inflammatory diet, like the Paleo diet. I like the youtube video of Dr. Loren Cordain + Dr. Oz + Paleonista. If you get the right omega-6 to omega-3 ratio in your cell wall membranes, you might stop breaking out. Most Americans have 15 to 20 times more O-6 than 0-3, and it's the 0-3s that are anti-inflammatory. Good luck!
@nursemagaretb - thank you for your reply. I went on strict Paleo a year or so ago and I think it also helped, so I'm planning to revisit it in some capacity (with whole grains, no dairy focus on salmon, nuts, flax seeds!). Thank you for the detail on O-3 vs O-6, I think I will steer my diet's focus on incorporating more of those foods in my diet, along with omega-6 rich foods. I think my other issue is that I still have some marks on my one cheek, that have been smoothing out, hopefully they will fade away in the upcoming years.